collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad news for South Central Wyoming  (Read 4793 times)

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: Bad news for South Central Wyoming
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2023, 07:47:56 PM »
Idaho regs are out, they aren’t doing anything about the winter. All the tags that were sold in December are general season tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »
Idaho made changes, mostly from proposed increases due to the hard winter or from public input. They had planned to increase opportunity in several areas, a lot of that didn't happen. Deer are still recovering from the last hard winter a few years ago, most antlerless mule deer hunting had already been curtailed, some elk herds are above objective and some under objective, so there are mixed actions. Unfortunately hard winters are a cycle, every few years we have them, then rebuilding begins again, it's a constant and continuing trend, a way of life for Rocky Mountain herds and hunters!

Interesting to listen to an IDFG verses WDFW season setting!

https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/fg-commission-set-big-game-seasons-2023-24
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2023, 11:00:41 AM »
Idaho made changes, mostly from proposed increases due to the hard winter or from public input. They had planned to increase opportunity in several areas, a lot of that didn't happen. Deer are still recovering from the last hard winter a few years ago, most antlerless mule deer hunting had already been curtailed, some elk herds are above objective and some under objective, so there are mixed actions. Unfortunately hard winters are a cycle, every few years we have them, then rebuilding begins again, it's a constant and continuing trend, a way of life for Rocky Mountain herds and hunters!

I only watched first ten minutes.
They take people's comments and talk about an action.
No way,they can't treat there trustees that way. :chuckle:

I can't even watch the whole thing,no way.
I can't do it.
Washington Commission is so far up on there high horse pedestal.
Taking trustees comments into consideration is never going to happen.
I'm taking real trustees,not conservation .org people that live in other states.
I just love how someone who has never stepped foot in Washington gets air time at our meetings.
Last Washington meeting I watched was March 18 one.
About spring bear petitions.
There was a guy testified,comments, at the beginning of meeting from new York,with some anti-hunting conservation place in New York.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:15:53 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »
Just seen this.
Looks like them deer are doing just fine.

Online baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »

I hope it's just an occasional winter and there's no repeat next year.  Just kind of worrisome that many forecasters are predicting more of the same for the next few years.  I would hope we're  managing on the safe side rather than gambling that next year won't be a repeat Seems extreme weather is getting to be the norm.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2023, 12:00:10 PM »
Just seen this.

I saw him say in the comments the last of the video was filmed in mid January. So currently things are much worse.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2023, 12:16:36 PM »
Just seen this.

I saw him say in the comments the last of the video was filmed in mid January. So currently things are much worse.
  :yeah: those bucks are packing in that video. I know for sure one of those big deer shed mid Jan. That winter range has received more snow the last two months than it got all winter. Those deer are definitely not fine currently.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2023, 01:19:53 PM »
Just seen this.

:yeah: those bucks are packing in that video. I know for sure one of those big deer shed mid Jan. That winter range has received more snow the last two months than it got all winter. Those deer are definitely not fine currently.
Yes ,I know they had ALOT of snow since this was filmed.
I'm just pulling you guys hair a bit,you know fishing a bit.
But I'd like to think they made it .

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2023, 05:56:04 AM »
And winter just keeps hanging on, cold down there in WY, looks like snow in the forecast. More snow in the northern half of Montana. 

Offline Gettin Birdie

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 07:13:00 AM »
And winter just keeps hanging on, cold down there in WY, looks like snow in the forecast. More snow in the northern half of Montana.

Where are you at Burrows?  I'm south of Lewistown, no snow on the ground on Tuesday, except big drifts left.  Woke up Wednesday, power out, 2-4 foot drifts, or bigger, most snow all season in one dump, heavy and wet, we're stuck at home, put our plow away on the sxs, but it probably wouldn't do crap anyways.  Dogs could hardly run in it, deer are def going to take a hit, I'd venture, already seen 6 winter/predator kill does within a couple square miles of house, lots more than years past. The Brittany has brought home so many deer legs after running around our place this winter, it's crazy!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2023, 08:08:02 AM »
I'd just like to point out what some are getting at....

True conservation is protecting the "crop" (or herd in this case).  When numbers are high, we aim to manage it with increased harvest.  When numbers are low, we back off to protect the crop.  All the while managing for the optimal population.  Doing so yields a higher sustainable harvest with plenty left for seed for the years to come.

After living in this state so long, it seems odd to actually witness it in areas where people actually do their job.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 09:04:57 AM »

Where are you at Burrows?  I'm south of Lewistown, no snow on the ground on Tuesday, except big drifts left.  Woke up Wednesday, power out, 2-4 foot drifts, or bigger, most snow all season in one dump, heavy and wet, we're stuck at home, put our plow away on the sxs, but it probably wouldn't do crap anyways.  Dogs could hardly run in it, deer are def going to take a hit, I'd venture, already seen 6 winter/predator kill does within a couple square miles of house, lots more than years past. The Brittany has brought home so many deer legs after running around our place this winter, it's crazy!

Im in Helena. We didnt get any yesterday but we've gotten probably close to 6" since 6AM this morning and still coming down.

Was over in your neck of the woods last weekend, almost got myself in some serious trouble with the mud, had to change plans and camped down around Judith landing.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2023, 09:58:17 AM »
My budy in north central wyoming said the ranchers and guides are pretty pissed WDGF didn’t just shut down the season next year. They have been devastated by this winter and they are in another storm right now.

They should really just shut down out of state hunting for a couple years. But you know it’s all about the money.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2023, 10:00:05 AM »

Im in Helena. We didnt get any yesterday but we've gotten probably close to 6" since 6AM this morning and still coming down.

Was over in your neck of the woods last weekend, almost got myself in some serious trouble with the mud, had to change plans and camped down around Judith landing.
kayaked from Judith landing to James Kipp last year over 4th of July weekend. Beautifully remote country down there.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2023, 04:50:52 PM »

kayaked from Judith landing to James Kipp last year over 4th of July weekend. Beautifully remote country down there.

That’s an awesome stretch of country. Love it over that way. Never actually hunted it but if you’re looking for peace and quiet that’s about as good as it gets

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal