collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Saskatchewan Mule deer  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Saskatchewan Mule deer
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 08:19:20 AM »
I think non-res have required to use a guide in Canada for decades.   Seems reasonable.  Hunters are a primary source of income for many in the rural areas. .  Stone sheep hunts are in the $50k-$85k range now.  Grizzly hunts recently outlawed, Caribou quotas cut, lotta pressure on guides to make a living.
Sorry to thread jack to the OP, hope you have a good hunt!

And that's fine if that what they want to do in CA, but I want the same restrictions applied to them in the states then. They have more opportunity than us, so it bothers me when someone from CA draws a tag Ive been putting in for
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »
Should be a great hunt, looking forward to your story and photos, good luck!

Thanx!! Looking forward to it! Should be a busy fall with Washington, hopefully Montana and Saskatchewan
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 02:35:34 PM »
About 30 years ago I had a good customer here in the states that was actually born and raised in Saskatchewan. He still had family up there, in fact his whole family still lived there. We got to talking about hunting and over the years became pretty good friends. One day I brought one of my family albums to his warehouse, this particular album has a few bucks in it that were 29-33 inches and a couple that were some non typicals including the 13 by 9 my dad had killed back in 1967 that was the buck I’ve told stories of that a half dozen game guys, bios and college trainees came to our camp and weighed, they figured him at 450lbs live weight give or take. A couple of them said it was the biggest bodied mule deer they had ever seen. Well, he was impressed looking through our album, then he pulled his out from under his desk. Oh boy! There were a couple in there that made that 67 non typical look like an average deer!🤣 he showed me pictures of a handful of bucks that went over 400lbs. Bucks with spreads of 30-35 inches, in fact pages of them! Just incredible! It was one of the most impressive photo albums of a family’s hunting heritage I’ve ever seen, I thought ours was impressive until I got a peak at his, it was hard to put down, I just kept looking it over, over and over again🤣. Hunt of a lifetime from what I’ve seen. Good luck👍

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 03:09:28 PM »
Some more input to get your adrenaline flowing🤣 As some on here know my great grandma grew up on a ranch in Alberta in the late 1800,s. She met my great grandpa at a Wild West show that she was part of as a trick roper and trick shooter. They made their way to Washington state in 1910. She told stories of huge bucks they’d kill in Alberta, stories of when she was a little girl of her and her sister and dad looking over 10 or 11 bucks and trying to shoot the smallest so they didn’t have to pack or drag them because of to much weight. She told stories of her dad letting deer walk because they were to big! She also told stories of relatives (cousins I believe) that lived in Saskatchewan, they would get together once or twice every few years or so and she remembers some of the horns that hung on the barbed wire fence at their place. They would kill bucks, cut their horns off and hang them on a run of barbed wire fence. Grandma said it was over a 100 foot run with antlers stacked on them, all huge, weathered and faded. They didn’t take pictures of them back then but my grandma used to love telling those stories around the fire. I could sit and listen to them all night long.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 05:33:38 PM »
Read that the further north you go, the animals tend to be larger bodied in order to deal with the colder temperatures. Larger deer in the northern reaches of Canada and smaller deer, better able to deal with the heat, such as the Coues in Arizona and Mexico.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 08:36:01 PM »
You should have an excellent hunt👍 a guy I know went up a few years ago archery hunting. Came back with an absolute giant mule deer! Post pics after please ha ha.

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 01:29:47 PM »
You should have an excellent hunt👍 a guy I know went up a few years ago archery hunting. Came back with an absolute giant mule deer! Post pics after please ha ha.

There will definitely be pics if I seal the deal!! There were definitely some giants taken this yr up there. Can’t wait to head up
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 04:03:26 PM »
Lifetime dream that I am sure will never become a reality.   I hope it’s awesome.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 09:31:25 AM »
What are some reputable outfits that are not crazy expensive

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal