collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting knives....which point do you prefer??  (Read 3899 times)

Offline elksnout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hunting knives....which point do you prefer??
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2023, 09:53:50 PM »
Gerber Gator on the belt and one of those new chase me, catch me Outdoor Edge razor knives in pack that I actually don’t care for…

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline Shoofly09

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2023, 12:02:51 AM »
havalon for outside work like skinning, old puma game warden for inside chest cavity work

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2023, 07:25:57 AM »
Whatever a havalon blade is. That's the point I like  :chuckle:

I carry a havalon, especially when deer hunting.  The only bad thing about the havalon is how weak the blades are....thus why I switched to the outdoor edge.  Equally as sharp and a little more rigidity to the blade.  Still love the Havalon!!! especially for skinning.  I would say it is very close to a drop or straight point.   :tup:

Yea, this. The havalons are super great for a pocket knife, I have a few, great for cutting paracord when setting up camp, cleaning under your finger nails (careful, they are shop) but are too weak and fall short on a big game critter. I like a fixed blade drop point (I have a few) and like jreb mentioned, the OE replaceable blade knives…. My favorite combo. Edit: and those tiny havalon blades are way too small to skin off elk hide either doing boneless/gutless or even just quarters during warm weather, there’s a time crunch in those situations……
We will have to agree to disagree on that one sir as I've broken down no less than 50 elk with a havalon on we'll over a hundred deer. Sheep, mountain goats, etc. I honestly can't remember the last time I've broken a blade  :dunno: They are a cutting tool, not a pry bar. Treat them as such and there are no issues :twocents:

Can’t argue with those stats brother. I stand corrected. It’s probably my over indulgent wrenching on the H blades that caused my difficulties/negative opinion.
you pound nails with channel locks from time to time don't you  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2023, 08:04:27 AM »
Of course, doesn’t everybody  :chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2023, 08:09:28 AM »
Am I the only one that carries on average 4-5 knives when hunting...

And no less than 2 any given day...
So my answer is D..all the above

:chuckle:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2023, 08:14:55 AM »
I like a skinning blade for skinning, and a small 4" or 5" Rapala wood handle filet knife for butchering/de-boning. A regular folding hunting blade for gutting, and pretty good for skinning.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:20:23 AM by C-Money »
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2023, 09:03:14 AM »
I like a clip point for gutting. And more of a drop point for skinning.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
Whatever a havalon blade is. That's the point I like  :chuckle:

I carry a havalon, especially when deer hunting.  The only bad thing about the havalon is how weak the blades are....thus why I switched to the outdoor edge.  Equally as sharp and a little more rigidity to the blade.  Still love the Havalon!!! especially for skinning.  I would say it is very close to a drop or straight point.   :tup:

Yea, this. The havalons are super great for a pocket knife, I have a few, great for cutting paracord when setting up camp, cleaning under your finger nails (careful, they are shop) but are too weak and fall short on a big game critter. I like a fixed blade drop point (I have a few) and like jreb mentioned, the OE replaceable blade knives…. My favorite combo. Edit: and those tiny havalon blades are way too small to skin off elk hide either doing boneless/gutless or even just quarters during warm weather, there’s a time crunch in those situations……
We will have to agree to disagree on that one sir as I've broken down no less than 50 elk with a havalon on we'll over a hundred deer. Sheep, mountain goats, etc. I honestly can't remember the last time I've broken a blade  :dunno: They are a cutting tool, not a pry bar. Treat them as such and there are no issues :twocents:

Can’t argue with those stats brother. I stand corrected. It’s probably my over indulgent wrenching on the H blades that caused my difficulties/negative opinion.
you pound nails with channel locks from time to time don't you  :chuckle:

What good handy man doesn't? JS   :chuckle: :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
If I ever got out from under the pile around here and went on forged in fire, my signature blade in my signature style would be the drop point. Of course, they'd make me build it 3x too big! A 3-4" cutting edge is ideal as a skinner/utility. Good steel makes the edge last, and good geometry and sharpening skills make it a pleasure to use. Won't be as sharp as a disposable, but it should still shave right off the stone, and cut absolutely effortlessly for an animal or two.

Thank you for your input.....Any input on what makes good steel.  Is D2 good???  These are the two I am deciding between.....

3.25 blade length on both.  Overall 8.75 on both (or close to).  I have really liked my KOA so was thinking of staying with the brand.  They are very easy to touch up in the field which I really appreciate. 

One is a drop and the other is a clip point.

D2 is excellent if the heat treat is done well. Some patina over time, but very good performance.

I just don't like the clip for working. I like it for a big bowie to take some weight out of the tip, and it looks so cool with a good double grind... but the drop point is just so much easier to use blind. The clip will cut things you don't want cut.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal