collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking about hunting Oregon for big game. Advice??  (Read 3307 times)

Offline webbspinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Thinking about hunting Oregon for big game. Advice??
« on: March 06, 2023, 05:31:07 PM »
So my brother( neither of us getting any younger) lives in Oregon and has for years. I am thinking about spending the money to hunt this fall with him, looks like Oregon has OTC tags for non residents in western units but entire east side is draw and extremely low odds for drawing as out of state. Looking for advice or thoughts from you all.  This has always been a great spot for thoughts and advice.  Looks like for under 1 grand I could hunt with him and I’ve never hunted anywhere but Washington so hoping for some ideas or experiences   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Thinking about hunting Oregon for big game. Advice??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 06:38:58 PM »
Oregon has a lot more public land than we do here in Washington, so overall the hunting should be a better experience. I'd definitely go on a hunt with your brother down there, wherever that may be. I hunted mule deer one time, and elk once, in eastern Oregon, but quit buying licenses and applying for hunts several years ago when the price was increased substantially. I still have 11 antelope points, which I will never use. If you can do a general season hunt, that would be the way to go.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 07:13:17 PM »
Plenty of archery units in eastern oregon you can draw with very few to no points
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Caveman123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 07:36:55 PM »
Hunted eastern oregon for years while the east side was OTC. I would be inclined to believe those units have improved since it went to draw, wasn’t easy hunting but we had a few opportunities a season. Would be worth looking into the draws for the east side, I personally find it more enjoyable than the jungle.

Offline webbspinner

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:00:45 PM »
I would love to hunt eastern Oregon but draw odds for general season are pretty poor. I can buy points and maybe later do that.  Looks like western Oregon I can do deer, elk and bear and cougar pretty cheap in terms of out of state anyways and it’s not a terrible drive from here.  Trying to figure out what it will cost is the biggest hurdle

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 08:03:19 PM »
If you're going to hunt a general season every year, I think it would make sense to build up some deer and elk points to use in the future. For me it wasn't worth it anymore to buy the hunting license every year just to build points.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »
If you are already buying a license to hunt with your brother you might as well put in for the draws and build a few point. Remember goat and sheep  don’t do a point system so someone has to get lucky

Local 3482

Offline Browndawg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 09:09:52 AM »
I've been hunting elk in Oregon most of my life as a non-resident. Mostly archery hunts. There is definitely more opportunity in Oregon than WA. Coastal elk hunts are OTC and very strenuous due to the terrain. It takes a lot of scouting to find accessible areas that hold elk. By accessible I mean areas that won't damn near kill you when trying to pack one out. The coast isn't for most people. You'll have to draw a tag if you want to hunt Eastern Oregon units. There are good numbers of elk in most units, easier terrain, and most units you can draw with one preference point as a non-resident. Your brother would be able to draw them every year, even as second choice in a lot of them.  So I would recommend buying a license, put in for tags. I would say don't put in as a party. Put in individually. He draws the tag the first year and you can call for him and learn the area. Buy a bear and cougar tag. They're like $15 even for non residents. Year two you'll draw it.

Offline Ricochet

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 10:09:16 AM »
Really depends on which weapon you chose. No doubt the coast is a jungle but the west Cascades not so much in some areas, especially higher elevations. Still OTC for rifle elk from what I'm seeing. Some good west Cascade units open for muzzleloader blacktails also and not requiring many points. There's opportunity there that won't break the bank or your back, just takes some research.
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 02:48:41 PM »
I'm guessing based off your "Extremely low odds" comment you are looking at rifle tags. I have put off archery hunting Eastern Oregon for elk so long that the tags are now draw but decided I am doing it this year. I have a buddy that lives there and has good success. I figure since I have to buy the license to put in for the drawing I will buy a bear tag and hunt with my buddy whether I get drawn for elk or not. Lets me save a few elk by killing a bear or two and get familiar with the area. I would look at archery hunting if you wanted to get into the draw areas as most will be easier to draw within a couple years max.

Offline webbspinner

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 05:41:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thoughts,  he and I will be talking this week and see if we can come up with a plan.   I plan on getting the points for sure.   Was hoping to rifle hunt as I no longer own a bow and muzzleloader.   I don’t know what he has that way really other than rifles   Keep the thoughts coming it helps greatly

Offline YellowShells

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 10:21:29 PM »
Yeah, if you buy a license, buy all the points. As a NR, there is no 25% pool, meaning you have no chance of drawing until you have enough points. That could be different for some of the EO archery hunts, I don't know. If you apply with a resident as a party, you will need to average enough points to draw as a NR. You won't be able to hunt bear or cougar during a controlled deer or elk season unless you have the deer or elk tag. But, you could get a license and deer/elk tags for about $1200. For me, it seems worth it to get points and go every 2-3 years. I probably wouldn't throw down for general tags, mostly because my buddies don't hunt on general tags.

Offline webbspinner

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 07:07:17 PM »
If I get a general tag and buy a license for western elk can I hunt bear and cougar too?  Trying to flesh this out a bit. Plan on purchasing points but wanted to hunt with my brother and hopefully get to  build up some points for an eastern hunt at some point. If he got drawn for a eastern hunt (res) could I hunt bear and cougar if I went with him?  Trying to work this all out before I spend the money

Offline Ricochet

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 08:12:06 PM »
You can't hunt bear or cougar during these season dates in the listed units, (with a centerfire rifle), without a valid buck or bull tag. So no, if your brother draws an eastern Oregon elk tag you can't hunt bear or cougar with him without possessing a valid elk tag.

Centerfire Rifle Restrictions

SEASON (2023 DATES)

WMUS

Eastern Buck Deer (Oct. 7 - Oct. 18)

31-77

West Cascade Bull Elk
(Nov. 11 - Nov. 17)

16, 19, 21, 22, 29, 30

Rocky Mtn Bull Elk (controlled) 1st Season
(Nov. 1 - Nov. 15)

31-39, 41, 42, 45-64, 66, 69, 72, 74-77

Rocky Mtn Bull Elk
2nd Season
(Nov. 11 - Nov. 19)

32, 35-38, 41, 45-64, 66, 69, 72, 74-76, portions of 33 and 77 E of Hwy 97

Coast Bull Elk 1st Season
(Nov. 18 - Nov. 21)

10-15, 17, 18, 20, 23

Coast Bull Elk 2nd Season
(Nov. 25 - Dec. 1)

10-15, 17, 18, 20, 23

S. Coast Controlled Bull Elk
(Nov. 18 - Nov. 22)
(Nov. 25 - Dec. 3)

24-27
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline webbspinner

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 10:17:45 PM »
Are the coast tags the otc tags?  And do you specify season or can you do both?  Sorry for so many questions I just want to have a understanding of what I can and can’t do

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw