collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of State hunting  (Read 4112 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Out of State hunting
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 03:25:33 PM »
Just my home state of Oregon this year.  Will apply for antlerless Utah tags, and will hunt if I draw but probably a few years before I draw again there. Skipped NM and ID this year.  Don't apply anywhere else anymore. 

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 03:28:34 PM »
In for 15 different states...just an irresponsible gambling addict at this point

What if by some stroke of luck you got drawn in even 10 of those states? That would be one crazy year  :yike:

I could apply for tags that could make that possible but there would be serious diminishing returns for me personally..4-5 states max

I drew “too many” tags in 2007. It’s a good problem to have. You get to decide if you will turn tags in or run yourself ragged. I chose the latter and didn’t do some tags justice.

It didn’t change my application strategy. I apply for more tags now than in 2007. Hopefully I will be retired by the time it happens again.

I will bank on drawing too little tags vs too many everytime

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »
Opposite of throttling back with kids coming of age. Little turds don't know how good they have it  :chuckle:

That's the truth!

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 05:00:47 PM »
In for 15 different states...just an irresponsible gambling addict at this point

What if by some stroke of luck you got drawn in even 10 of those states? That would be one crazy year  :yike:

I could apply for tags that could make that possible but there would be serious diminishing returns for me personally..4-5 states max

I drew “too many” tags in 2007. It’s a good problem to have. You get to decide if you will turn tags in or run yourself ragged. I chose the latter and didn’t do some tags justice.

It didn’t change my application strategy. I apply for more tags now than in 2007. Hopefully I will be retired by the time it happens again.

I will bank on drawing too little tags vs too many everytime

Amen

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 06:33:16 PM »
I plan on finding the money for MT and ID by not hunting in WA.

Online Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »
A question for the guys that are putting in for numerous states every year....do you use a tag application service or navigate and keep track of all of the draws yourself?  With all of the different rules, units and deadlines it seems like those services might not be a bad option.  Just curious to here your opinions. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 07:57:08 PM »
If you give GoHunt, Huntin Fool, and a couple of the others your email address you will get constant reminders of each state draw deadline. Then it's pretty easy to do apps yourself.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
Montana Combo and just points after that.... Alaska is looking good again this year, didn't get my draws there but its OTC now..

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 08:07:54 PM »
I’ll be applying for sheep in Idaho, everything in Nevada, everything in Utah, sheep in WA, and since I should have results from Idaho sheep back by then, if I don’t draw I might do antelope in Wyoming this year, I will apply for Montana Antelope and an elk B tag either way, and mule deer application for South Dakota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »
Gotta keep the dream alive!  You can't win if you don't play

Montana deer/elk combo w 2 points (large chance there) + special draws
AZ deer, elk (elk already a fail)
NV sheep, elk, deer, antelope
WA draws
WY points only
CO points only

I like to have one out of state thing that's pretty sure and swing for the fences on the rest.  Next year it will hopefully be WY general elk w 5 pts.  I like to keep a backup though, and I have enough to make Montana cow elk a sure thing if the general falls through.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 09:06:14 PM »
Wyoming deer, antelope, and elk. Montana landowner deer and a couple of B tags. I’ll still hunt in Washington for deer only due to a ranch I have access to in Grant Co.  Ten days in Alaska in July will be nice too (halibut, bottom fish, and salmon) and a week in august crabbing on the Oregon coast.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 09:15:32 PM »
OR rifle deer and archery elk, 9 days each. Should draw my first choice for both.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 09:22:02 PM »
Forgot about MT antelope, might have to put in this year as we should be an easy draw.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2023, 12:30:11 AM »
A question for the guys that are putting in for numerous states every year....do you use a tag application service or navigate and keep track of all of the draws yourself?  With all of the different rules, units and deadlines it seems like those services might not be a bad option.  Just curious to here your opinions.

I use epic, there's so much more then just deadlines...I stay very involved all winter long until my fall is scheduled out then things get set on cruise control with them doing the rest...typically spend a couple hours a month on the phone with them

There is a decent amount of strategy and thought that goes into the scheduling and it's pretty nice having someone to bounce ideas off that has a substantial amount of experience

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 06:27:59 AM »

I only do three states and do it all myself.  It's not that hard, tons of information out there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal