collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Western/Central Turkeys?? New guy in town  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Zachyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Western/Central Turkeys?? New guy in town
« on: March 25, 2023, 12:25:58 AM »
So I am new to the area and have a love for turkey hunting. I am originally from Wisconsin so I have been hunting turkeys for a long time now. I moved out here for work, I live in Richland and am trying to get pointed in even a (General) area that I have a chance to see turkeys. I don't mind getting out of the truck and putting some miles on but i don't want to be chasing tumbleweeds through the valley with no turkeys in a 50 mile radius either lol. Looking for some direction where I can go scout the next couple weeks to see some bird action. I have read on previous topics that Goldendale might have some birds? I noticed there is quite a bit of reservation land there so was curious if there was any action on the state side. If anyone has any advice for the new guy Id appreciate the help. I have a buddy in the Tacoma area that would join the hunt so we kind of wanted to stay on the western side as much as possible. I understand the majority of turkeys will be found in NE corner but hoping for a chance around here.

Good luck gobble chasers

Z

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Western/Central Turkeys?? New guy in town
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 02:07:30 AM »
For sure plenty of birds around. It’s a long season first couple weekends sees the majority of the hunters. So might be better hunting during the week or little later in the season. There is also plenty of ground to hunt and if your keen to burn boot leather you can easily do that is klickitat county while having a fairly high population around.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 04:39:10 AM »
Klickitat does have birds.  They is some public land to hunt i. That area.  Last week, I came home from Bend, OR I saw about 20 flocked up on some private property on the east side or Satus pass on 97.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:49:17 AM »
A quick check of WDFW harvest reports will give you an idea of where people have found birds last year.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Zachyz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »
Appreciate the advice fellas,

Unfortunately a quick check of the WDFD harvest reports only show 2021 reports. A lot can change in 2 years. Not trying to get your secrete spot turkeyfeather just looking for some direction.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:07:15 AM »
It doesnt matter if it was last year's harvest report or 10 years ago, the NE corner is where the majority of the birds are harvested in the state annually. It's a little further drive, but hunting the westside or central WA can be very challenging especially if you're new to the area.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Western/Central Turkeys?? New guy in town
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 04:49:20 PM »
Western Washington is not where you want to go for turkeys unless you’re into possibly the biggest Turkey hunting challenge of your Turkey hunting life. If you’re in Richland you’re not too far from Rio’s in the Blues. Definitely NE WA is where it’s at. Even having a chance at a Turkey on the west side is a significant feat. Killing one is a whole other story
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 07:38:35 PM »
You can find birds between the tri-cities and the blues. There’s public land to hunt, but like others said, avoid April and the crowds.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 08:33:28 PM »
Ellensburg
Cle elum
Liberty
Colockum
Taneum
Teanaway
All have Turkeys
Hit it during youth opener and scout
Find the hunters you’ll find the birds
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 07:52:57 AM »
Ellensburg
Cle elum
Liberty
Colockum
Taneum
Teanaway
All have Turkeys

I agree with all of this except scouting during the youth hunt.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 08:00:16 AM »
Ellensburg
Cle elum
Liberty
Colockum
Taneum
Teanaway
All have Turkeys

I agree with all of this except scouting during the youth hunt.

:yeah: You'll piss off some grumpy dad (me) when you're calling trying to locate birds and messing up the kids hunt. With that being said, 4/8 - 4/14 would be a great time to scout as there us no open season during that time.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 08:22:54 AM »
Scout now.  Merriams follow the snow line.  The 21 harvest record is fine to use because it doesn't change much.  Birds aren't going to venture out of their areas as the season progresses.  Flicks do break up into smaller flocks, but they don't leave say a couple mile square area.  You see them now most likely they will be in the area during the season.  Most turkeys like the merriams in the NE corner of the state stay around those ag areas.  There are mountain birds that will follow that snow line to.  The Blue mountains are great for Rios plenty of public land.  There again they like those ag areas.  Like I said once turkeys find a food source, they don't stray far from it.  Sounds like you have hunted turkeys before.  Turkey behavior doesn't change much jmthey just adapt to the land they are on.  They like roosting is larch trees, lodge pole and ponderosa pines and there are white oak out there that they like.  If you want to be successful go to the NE corner.  I believe the amount harvested there was more then the rest of the state combined.  I would say close to 70% of the population of turkeys in this state are in the NE corner.  Good luck

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Zachyz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 04:04:15 PM »
I appreciate all the advice and direction  :IBCOOL: It's great to see an active forum willing to help out fellow hunters. I am excited to get out and hunt in WA. Was actually out toward Mt. Rainer with my buddy looking for sheds this weekend and to my surprise walked past a few turkey tracks just south of Hwy 12! Obviously won't be chasing those birds but it's good to know they are around. However we did decide to stay on the Western/Central side and are up for the challenge  8)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal