collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 450 Ackley?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline nwalpineguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
450 Ackley?
« on: March 30, 2023, 12:19:45 AM »
Firstly, please forgive my astonishing ignorance of ALL things African rifles and calibers. Not to mention hand loaded cartridges for same.

Through happenstance and inheritance I happen to own an African dangerous/big game rifle; an FN (Fabrique Nationale) Belgium made 450 Ackley Magnum. I assume it is a “magnum" and not an Ackley “Improved" since I don’t see any makers marks on the rifle to that effect. Heck, for that matter I don’t see Magnum indicated on the rifle either. However, the RCBS reloading dies that came with the rifle do indicate magnum. Yes, confusing.

I have two questions that I am hopeful someone, anyone, Ferris? Buellar? Can answer.

- I'm curious to know how to find out the model of this particular rifle as it isn’t indicated anywhere? I suspect it rolled off the factory floor in Belgium prior to 2000. Yet again I don’t know that for certain either. Sure, I could contact FN and provide a serial number but that might take some time and be onerous as well. Besides, I'll take my chances with an "internet expert."

-The second question relates to how many rounds I can realistically put through this instrument of the Devil before the mount, rings, or more likely, the scope fails? A little background history is in order so I'll describe the one and only time I fired this rifle. This, about 3 years ago.

Quite frankly, and with brutal honesty I was terrified to put this rifle to my shoulder and shoot the rounds that I was in possession of.
The hand loads that came with this rifle consisted of the following; Norma cases stamped Norma SPECIAL Re on the case head.  The cases are filled with 82 grains H4198 powder propelling, I believe, 350 grain flat base round nose bullets of unknown make. I simply assume a magnum primer had been utilized to ignite the cartridges. I elected to shoot the rifle from a Caldwell lead sled. This Caldwell device has saved my shoulder when working up loads for my .300 Weatherby magnum as well my 7mm Remington magnum. I knew it would be absolutely necessary for shooting this .450 Ackley. Yup, ima Sissy!

After checking the screws that held the, “Redfield" base down, and then checking the scope ring screws as well and the two rear adjusting screws on the bridge mount I decided that things appeared... ok. Tight and secure. I function checked the action by inserting cartridges into the magazine well and worked the bolt to pick them up and cycle them into the chamber and then extracted them. No issues there.

I also grabbed the rifle by the scope and gently shook it to feel or hear if anything rattled or shifted. Nothing did. Either scope or rifle parts.
I then proceeded to shoot, one cartridge at a time, three cartridges. Upon shooting the fourth round things went awry! :bash:

Namely, I noticed immediately that one of the rings was askew and the scope had come out of it. The scopes internals were now rattling as well. It was an old Weaver scope to the best of my recollection. I also noticed the Redfield bridge mount was loose but had not come apart from the rifle. Yet. So I called it a day before I injured myself. I was alone at the time. In the middle of nowhere where I shoot without distractions.

Admittedly, it is difficult for me to get my brain around the staggering forces and energy generated by this class cartridge! And here I thought break barrel air guns were tough on scopes and rings.

That said, fast forward 3 years.

I have cleaned, de-greased and inspected the steel Redfield mount and put it back on the rifle with brand new (degreased) mounting screws using blue Loctite. I also used a Q-tip with acetone or rubbing alcohol to prep the holes on the the rifle to accept the screws. Cannot recall what those holes are called. Drill and tap something or other…? Screw holes?

Regardless, the scope mount now “appears” and feels solid on the rifle. I then purchased brand new Leupold steel dovetail rings that matched the mount, and then attached an admittedly cheap Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn, 1.5-4.5x32 scope within them. I think this scope cost $80.00. Brand new.

I figured that I can afford to sacrifice this scope before putting something more expensive and “elegant" on the rifle. On the other hand it probably doesn't matter because of this particular caliber. This thing must be generating 60-80 foot pounds of recoil. I shudder to think how I’ll handle it when a black bear walks by me some day in a berry field we’re both occupying. Probably the only instance that I will EVER use this rifle. It will then be given away soon after I roll the bruin.

Moving on, I inspected the Ram-Line plastic stock this rifle wears especially where the recoil lug fits. No apparent incipient cracks or… anything worrisome found. That stock certainly won’t be affected by the temperature or humidity changes here in Washington State where we live and hunt.

Accordingly, everything appears ready for my next shooting session.

I am grateful for any thoughts, opinions or advice on the subject, as well any cogent answers to my two inane questions above.

Thank you.

Kindest regards,
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 11:48:39 AM by nwalpineguide »

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: 450 Ackley?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
Interesting rifle.  I stumbled across a 98 Mauser at a local shop a few years ago marked 35 Ackley Magnum. Super cheap given the custom work that had obviously been done as well as a nice fiberglass stock. Had to do a chamber cast to figure out whether it was long or short.  The dimensions matched short and found a couple of old die sets on Ebay and it shoots great.  I'm no Mauser expert but did some research and mine was from the 50s.

Your'e ahead of the game if you have dies and fired brass.

Loaddata.com has maybe 30 loads listed for the 450 Ackley.  You could easily take it down to 45-70 levels and get some use of it around here.  I would pull the others anyway as shooting someone else's handloads is risky.

Assuming you have the mounts solved I would invest in a decent 2-7x or similar.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 10:50:23 AM »
Thank you fly-by

I did exactly as you suggested and pulled the remaining 45 hand loaded cartridges 3 years ago. Excellent advice. They seemed ok and I measured the weight in grains of powder inside several cases. It was loaded a tad HOT. I suspect the flat bottom of the bullet was compressing the load somewhat as I remember shaking a cartridge and not hearing powder moving around. At least the powder wasn't congealed. Each kernel separated from the others just fine.

After the rifle destroy's the new Bushnell scope  :chuckle: I'll look at a 2-7x. Am grateful for the suggestion, as well referencing Loaddata.com.

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »
Here are a few more sedate loads from Load Data.  Please verify independently.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:53:06 AM »
Here are a few more sedate loads from Load Data.  Please verify independently.

Thank You!

I am fortunate because I have a 1lb canister each of those powders. The canisters are not full but contain enough remaining powder in them to work up a few test loads.

Have independently verified the loads from more than one source.

Thank you again!

Online timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 12:02:41 PM »
Wow!  A blown out 375 H&H.  Now that sounds like a fun gun to have!!   Enjoyed all my 375's,  wished I'd known about this one!

Good luck! :tup:
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 01:10:43 PM »
Here's the marking on mine

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 06:41:49 PM »
Update:

Worked up test loads consisting of 68, 70, and 7? grains IMR3031 using the 350 grain round nose flat base bullets I pulled from the original loads. Took rifle and loads to the Swakane gun range a couple of days ago, Wednesday morning, and fired these loads. And I'm still ALIVE! Go figure.

Granted, I only shot a target 25 yards away, but figured test loads at 25 yards will be revealing enough to extrapolate what the groups will be like at 50 and 100 yards. Later I'll shoot and zero the rifle at 100 yards. Best group was with the hottest load but "sedate" describes these loads compared to the BOMB reloads I shot 3 years ago. Jeez those were... exciting.

Rifle, scope mount and scope performed flawlessly!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
My shoulder hurts just reading this.

Looks like you're having  fun.    :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 07:51:01 PM »
Barnes has a 250gr projectile, similar to the 250 I use in my 9.3 (366).
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 09:38:26 PM »
My shoulder hurts just reading this.

Looks like you're having  fun.    :tup:

Yes, for the first time it was fun shooting this rifle.

I failed to mention that I shot these test loads from a Caldwell Lead Sled that weighs 60 lbs., so recoil was negligible. The sled only moved 1/4 inch backward with each shot. But I didn't feel the recoil.

What's more, I filmed myself shooting the 450 Ackley with a GoPro Hero5 but can't seem to upload the .mov file to this forum. This, after compressing it to 18mb or so. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably just my own technical ignorance.

I stand corrected. The file did upload.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:36:17 PM by nwalpineguide »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 09:47:58 PM »
Lead sleds can be very hard on optics. Especially in heavy recoiling rifles. That energy has to go somewhere. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 08:10:59 PM »
I shoot 416 Remington mag and a 458 Winchester mag but would not use a lead sled as the recoil energy has to go somewhere. Eventually the scope will break, scope bases will break or stock will crack or break. Shoot standing up and recoil won’t be to bad

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]