collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eat those walleyes!  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Eat those walleyes!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2023, 12:10:21 AM »
Honestly I do not know much about walleye. In 2006 we were on vacation at Fisherman’s Cove on Lake Curlew.
We decided to go over the pass and hit lake Roosevelt. I launch at the primitive launch a couple miles up the Kettle river, and run down to the large bay just above the were the Kettle flows into the FDR.
We started trolling Double Wammys with a night crawler trailer. Immediately my youngest son got a hit. A 20” Walleye was quickly in the net. I had read and you can see they have serious teeth. No one ever told my their gills have teeth  :yike:
I reach my fingers in the gills to pick it up, and his gills bite me!
Sliced both fingers good enough for to never try that again.
We caught a couple rainbows then my older son (10 at the time) hooked something that was stripping line on a run. I that a big rainbow maybe  :dunno:
It took a few minutes to get any line in. He finally gets it within sight and I new we were in trouble landing it. He had a huge 10 lb or better walleye on. I had a typical long handled trout net, and when I tried it to net the fish, the net bent straight down vertically. I attempted to net it three times with a destroyed net and almost had it in the boat when It flipped out and was gone.
I felt horrible.
Up to that point, in my sons eyes I was a fishing god, now I was   a mere mortal who Lost the biggest fish my son had ever had on.  :'(

We had walleye for the first time that night to dinner. I was hooked from then on :tup:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2023, 04:17:40 AM »
Seriously…you should see the review this guy left me on Yelp!! If you want a good trip these days you need to really do your research and dial in one of the 23 guides running $300 trips that’ll produce a half dozen 13 inchers…I believe they’re calling em “half-meal” trips. One could prolly book a full-meal deal for $500 if’n you sweet talked em. As for the five 4 pounders you had to filet those are widely regarded by most as inedible so again my apologies.
Honestly though I’ve really no idea why I’m the one apologizing…you’re the one who scratched up my best lure and bent all the hooks on it :bash:
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2023, 04:40:52 AM »
Hmm. Can't think of a single year that the escapement goal was not met.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2023, 08:10:07 AM »
Thank you fellas for showing us that fishing is more than just fish. The clown posse that graces the deck of my boat is another example of why we do this.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]