collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let a deer walk  (Read 3106 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Let a deer walk
« on: May 09, 2023, 05:17:30 AM »
I saw this on FB.   Interesting….  (Wyoming)

How To Enter!  Place your phone number on the back of your carcass coupon on your general or limited quota deer license and mail it to P.O. Box 147, La Barge, WY 83123.  Your name and phone number will then be entered into a random lottery raffle for a chance to win one of the below-mentioned prizes, valuing over $100,000!!! 

It’s no secret, the 2022/2023 winter was extremely challenging for our wildlife.  The design of this program is to take some pressure off the icon of Wyoming and #LetADeerWalk!  This a statewide initiative!

This program is not meant to discourage hunting, please get outdoors, go deer hunting, buy an elk tag or two, get a black bear tag, spend time with family and friends outdoors.  If you’re on the fence this year, then please participate in this raffle!

Licenses are due to the above address by August 1st, 2023

Drawing will be held August 15th, 2023

All tags will be entered and tracked to prevent duplicate license re-prints.

A parent or guardian is required if a youth under 18 years of age is drawn.

Headline Sponsor – SOS Well Services, LLC.

Prize List:
2024 Commissioner License

A Whole Beef - Cut - Wrapped – Frozen - 307 Meat Company

Custom Truck Build - Truck King

Custom Rifle, chambered in a 6.5 PRC - Red Desert Rifles/ Blue Mountain Precision/ Straight Jack Armory / Twisted Barrels / Hawkins Precision

Sportsman 450 Four-Wheeler – BaseCamp & Schmid Development

Deer Hunters Optics Package – includes a Maven Spotting Scope and Binoculars - Maven & Joe Erwin

$5,000 - Nielsen Furniture and Appliance Gift Card - Mike & Pam Schmid

$3,000 - Rocky Mountain Discount Sports Gift Card - SOS Well Service

2023/2024 WY Guided Mountain Lion Hunt – One hunter, one guide - Tri-Spoke Outfitters

2023/2024 WY Fall YOUTH Black Bear Hunt – One hunter & one non-hunter - Greys River Outfitters

2024/2025 WY Spring or Fall Black Bear Hunt – One hunter, one guide - Trophy Mountain Outfitters

Eight Day Wolf Hunt - Alberta, Canada - One hunter, one guide - Timber King Outfitting 

$2,000 in Kuiu Gift Cards - Full Circle Wealth Strategies

Mule Deer Shoulder Mount - Dewey Wildlife Studio

$1,000 - Gift Card towards Taxidermy work of persons choice - Roundy Taxidermy 

Redneck Survival Kit – includes an Electric Chainsaw, Rock Island Arms 12 gauge Shot Gun and a Yeti Cooler - Mountainland Supply / Woody Studt / Cody Thompson

Deer Hunters Camo Package - Kryptek

Photo credit - JoelnHeather Luzmoor
Photo edit - Aleeshia Hickenbotham

Offline Deadeyety

• Tracker
Re: Let a deer walk
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 06:27:25 AM »
Epic outdoors is doing something similar as well with a bunch of giveaways. It’s called Muleys Matter on instagram

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
I like it!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:02:29 AM »
Interesting, I can’t say it’s a bad idea.👍

We used to put in and burn doe tags when we drew back in the day but there sure weren’t those kind of prizes involved in our camp🤣

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
Is this officially sponsored by WGFD? I get the sentiment and agree the deer could use a break this year, but I do find it a little funny that they would sell tags and then incentivize you not to fill them instead of just doing tag cuts

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 11:08:04 AM »
Is this officially sponsored by WGFD?

No

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 11:10:08 AM »
Is this officially sponsored by WGFD?

No

That makes more sense then.  :tup:

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 11:33:32 AM »
It's def a resident thing.  Nobody is going to burn their non-res preference points to buy a $400-$650 license so they can enter the drawing.  But it will reduce some hunting pressure.  Not to sure it will reduce the number of animals (bucks and bulls) getting shot by hunters.  The deer they don't shoot by entering the drawing will probably be shot by the next guy over the following ridge. A few deer (bucks and bulls) will be saved but not the mass numbers they are hoping to save.  The real way to make a dent in the problem is for the residents of Wyoming to do this raffle with all of their doe mule deer, doe antelope, and cow elk tags.  Now that could make a dent in the problem possibly.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
Without WGFD's involvement how would they be able to confirm there are no license reprints?

I appreciate the sentiment.  Game departments generally hug the line of what's sustainable a little too closely IMO.  Then you have winters like this, predators thrown on top, and next thing you know the populations are a shell of what they once were.

Offline Meow

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 03:52:12 PM »
It's def a resident thing.  Nobody is going to burn their non-res preference points to buy a $400-$650 license so they can enter the drawing.  But it will reduce some hunting pressure.  Not to sure it will reduce the number of animals (bucks and bulls) getting shot by hunters.  The deer they don't shoot by entering the drawing will probably be shot by the next guy over the following ridge. A few deer (bucks and bulls) will be saved but not the mass numbers they are hoping to save.  The real way to make a dent in the problem is for the residents of Wyoming to do this raffle with all of their doe mule deer, doe antelope, and cow elk tags.  Now that could make a dent in the problem possibly.

If I draw a cow elk tag I might send it in. I already am considering not going even without this chance to recoup the money. I agree that killing female animals at this point is inappropriate. I'm moving to Wyoming in the near future and want populations to thrive.

Killing some mature bucks or bulls won't have much impact on the overall numbers long term, but I was dismayed to see how small the cuts to doe and cow tags were for this season.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 02:37:47 PM »
I love how you have to turn in your tag by August 1 but they say go deer or elk hunting still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 02:41:22 PM »
This is only for deer.
That's why it's called "Let a deer walk"

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 09:07:02 PM »
It’s a a good idea in my opinion. Can’t hurt. I definitely wouldn’t participate with a non resident tag! If I was a resident I would consider it for sure. Still lots to hunt as a resident in Wyoming lion,bear,wolf,elk and antelope. Giving mule deer a year off wouldn’t keep a resident from doing a lot of hunting

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:38 PM »
The big flaw in all of this is that a bunch of residents and a few non-residents will turn in their tag to enter the drawing by the August 1st deadline and try to win a prize.  Then a week before the season they will stop off at their neighborhood sporting good store and get a duplicate tag for a few bucks and go deer hunting.  Tons of loop-holes in this "Save the Day" scheme.  Don't get me wrong, I think the deer need all the breaks they can get but this idea has some major flaws in it.  There is no way they can monitor Fish and Game's duplicate (lost tag) system that will print another tag for just a few bucks.  Three years ago we hunted Wyoming and my buddy forgot his tag here in Washington.  We stopped by the sporting goods store and they printed him up a new one for somewhere around $10.  Easiest way to really impact the herd is to shut down ALL doe hunts.  I know they have done some of that but it needs to be absolutely no doe tags at all.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »
It's on the honor system.  There will be fewer deer shot than if they didn't do it.  That's more of an impact than I am making, so I can't be all that critical of a bunch of people donating stuff to make a difference.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 09:01:48 PM »
It's on the honor system.  There will be fewer deer shot than if they didn't do it.  That's more of an impact than I am making, so I can't be all that critical of a bunch of people donating stuff to make a difference.

Agreed. Nothing plus nothing equals nothing 😂. At least they are doing SOMETHING! It’s easy and cheap to get duplicates in almost any state. Poachers can get 1 deer in the freezer and get a duplicate tag during season. People will take advantage but I still believe in the integrity of the average hunter. Some will probably abuse it but I think the majority that turn in tags will do it the right way.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »
Plus they did say this:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 09:34:35 PM »
Plus they did say this:

That’s funny not sure how I missed that ! Problem solved

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 09:46:33 PM »
So WY is going to help monitor? Because without them, what good would these guys tracking tag numbers do? Would need WY to somehow prevent duplicate purchases for those that turned theirs in for this.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »
Plus they did say this:

Of course they are doing the drawing August 15th so somebody could go get a duplicate after the drawing is done

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »
Plus they did say this:

Of course they are doing the drawing August 15th so somebody could go get a duplicate after the drawing is done

“All tags will be entered and tracked to prevent duplicate license reprints “ doesn’t matter when they do the drawing. I’m assuming entered means in the fish and game system so you can’t get a duplicate license reprint once the tags turned in. They can draw whenever

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 09:39:01 PM »
Plus they did say this:

“All tags will be entered and tracked to prevent duplicate license reprints “ doesn’t matter when they do the drawing. I’m assuming entered means in the fish and game system so you can’t get a duplicate license reprint once the tags turned in. They can draw whenever

Ya know, I havent followed all of this very closely, but I have a hard time thinking that Wyoming Fish and Game is going to get involved with this and provide supervision, policing, and reporting on it.  They are in the business of selling tags and monitoring deer numbers to support their quotas.  By going along with this, they are admitting that their science and research are flawed and they should be cutting more tags than they are.  Actually makes them look bad as an agency and makes them look greedy for revenue over what their biologists are recommending.  Makes no sense to me.  Great cause but something isn't smelling right. 

This is how it will all work out if you really take all of your emotions out of the game.  A bunch of resident deer hunters will enter the save the deer draw.  Resident Guys will be buying $10-$20 deer tags for every child, wife, grandma, any other living body they can come up with to try and get the governors tag but will keep their own tag to hunt.  All of the non-resident deer tags will be sold with less than a half of a percent of them entering the save the deer drawing.  No non-res is going to burn all of their preference points at $40 a piece to buy a $350-$650 deer tag so they can enter the drawing knowing they will have to wait another 3 plus years before they will be in the running to draw again.  The number of deer not killed will be minuscule. If anything this will help the non-res deer hunter see less pressure from residents during their hunt. All you will see will be the same amount of deer being killed with the overall success of the actual hunters going up. Its a "Feel Good" thing but it just wont work.

Its like the US banning all of our energy sources due to Climate Change and going broke doing it while China, Russia, India, etc etc do whatever they want.  The Woke ding-a-lings feel good but nothing is hardly being actually done to help the cause. If there is a real issue (and there is), then Wyoming Fish and Game need to make the correct regulations to fix and control the problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:58:53 PM by dvolmer »
Zonk Volmer

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 09:44:20 PM »
Plus they did say this:

Ya know, I havent followed all of this very closely, but I have a hard time thinking that Wyoming Fish and Game is going to get involved with this and provide supervision, policing, and reporting on it.  They are in the business of selling tags and monitoring deer numbers to support their quotas.  By going along with this, they are admitting that their science and research are flawed and they should be cutting more tags than they are.  Actually makes them look bad as an agency and makes them look greedy for revenue over what their biologists are recommending.  Makes no sense to me.  Great cause but something isn't smelling right.
but they aren't losing revenue. They are still selling the tags. You have to buy the tag and return it in order to be in the drawing.

Considering the first prize on the list is a 2024 commissioners tag I'm gonna assume WY game and fish are very much involved. Those tags come straight from the department.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 10:00:17 PM »
Plus they did say this:

but they aren't losing revenue. They are still selling the tags. You have to buy the tag and return it in order to be in the drawing.

Considering the first prize on the list is a 2024 commissioners tag I'm gonna assume WY game and fish are very much involved. Those tags come straight from the department.

This is how it will all work out if you really take all of your emotions out of the game.  A bunch of resident deer hunters will enter the save the deer draw.  Resident Guys will be buying $10-$20 deer tags for every child, wife, grandma, and other living body they can come up with to try and get the governors tag but will keep their own tag to hunt. (remember, you are not required to have hunters safety before applying or buying a tag in Wyoming. It's required in the field so any resident can buy a deer tag in Wyoming)  All of the non-resident deer tags will be sold with less than a half of a percent of them entering the save the deer drawing.  No non-res is going to burn all of their preference points at $40 a piece to buy a $350-$650 deer tag so they can enter the drawing knowing they will have to wait another 3 plus years before they will be in the running to draw again.  The number of deer not killed will be minuscule. If anything this will help the non-res deer hunter see less pressure from residents during their hunt. All you will see will be the same amount of deer being killed with the overall success of the actual hunters going up. Its a "Feel Good" thing but it just wont work.

Its like the US banning all of our energy sources due to Climate Change and going broke doing it while China, Russia, India, etc etc do whatever they want.  The Woke ding-a-lings feel good but nothing is hardly being actually done to help the cause. If there is a real issue (and there is), then Wyoming Fish and Game need to make the correct regulations to fix and control the problem.  Its like WFG saying we don't have the balls to fix the problem so you guys do it and we will try to support it. Totally nuts if you ask me.  You just watch, it will be a massive money grab for Fish and Game. They will sell double to triple the amount of resident deer tags but the harvest will be close to the same with little to no deer actually being saved. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 10:20:18 PM by dvolmer »
Zonk Volmer

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 10:29:16 PM »
They cut 4k mule deer tags and 10k antelope tags for the 2023 season. Big stretch to say they are just out for cash and not being proactive in their management. WY does it right unlike some other states......we're all pointing at you WDFW :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal