collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should've said something?  (Read 5364 times)

Offline MightyWhite

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: Should've said something?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 04:32:00 PM »
Did he resemble”Walt” on Gran Torino?

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 04:38:52 PM »
Visible Browning can be a problem with old folks.
Depends.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 05:44:33 PM »
"DEPENDS"
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 07:11:19 PM »
This thread got me thinking about when My Dad started getting dementia/Alzheimer's. It came to a point when we had to take his keys away to keep him from driving. He did not have the capacity, mentally or physically anymore to drive, without being a complete hazard to those around him. It busted his pride like nothing I have ever witnessed. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

As mush as I hate to say it, putting the individual right to carrying a weapon in the same situation, would have been 100 fold more dangerous to innocent people then driving.
I have never heard of a situation where this has happened though. I am sure it does, just have not heard about it.

I hope I have the wherewithal to make my own decision, if and when that day comes. The idea of putting my family in that situation is not something I ever want them to go through.
  Had to take the car keys from my Dad a few years back and from the father-in-law recently.  Very hard decision, but in both cases they were a danger on the road to themselves and others.  That's part of what bothered me after the encounter. I honestly beleive his cavalier carrying of that handgun was a danger to himself and others.  He wasn't faking or acting, he was just an old fellow who strapped that gun on out of habit the same way my father in  law jumped in his car everyday until he had 3 accidents ( all his fault,but fortunately not major) in 1 month. Hopefully that old boy has family or friends who'll notice what he's doing.

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2023, 07:26:00 PM »
Tough call for sure. It depends on each persons reasoning in that type of situation.  If he seemed as unaware as you mentioned, I would have waited for him outside, a safe distance away and called him over to talk a minute. Asking him if he was feeling OK. Then see where it goes, friendly like. YMMV
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline cjjcb

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2023, 08:00:07 PM »
I guess in my mind, would I feel the need to approach a stranger displaying what I consider to be “negligent behavior”? Honestly, probably wouldn’t approach, but I’d sure keep an eye on him while in the vicinity…
Common stock, we work around the clock.
We shove the poles in the holes.

It’s not right vs left, they’re both fed from the same trough. It’s a distraction…It’s have vs have nots and in that scope, everyone here is a have not…
It’s only ever been about class war… Top 1% vs everyone else… Tank the two party system and get real, meaningful change…Whoops, just spilt my beer….

"ATF should be a convenience store, not a government agency."

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2023, 08:27:21 PM »
For the entire thread, conundrum…. I’ve wanted to yank his pistol, quicker than he could obviously react, clear the weapon, and loose a verbal assault on home boy that would still be lingering somewhere in the clouds. Of course, I didn’t count on the little LC-9 he had in his waste-band. These old guys, they’re smarter than we may think  :chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2023, 08:53:02 PM »
Maybe he was trolling? Just wanted to go out fighting Valhalla style?  :dunno:

That’s what I thought.  He’s an old gunslinger just waiting for an opportunity  :yike:

Or......as you're going out the door and behind the relative safety of cinder blocks.......maybe for a little fun you Holler......"DRAW YOU VARMINT!!!!!!"

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2023, 09:02:32 PM »

That’s what I thought.  He’s an old gunslinger just waiting for an opportunity  :yike:

Or......as you're going out the door and behind the relative safety of cinder blocks.......maybe for a little fun you Holler......"DRAW YOU VARMINT!!!!!!"

:tup: :chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline cjjcb

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2023, 09:29:35 PM »
For the entire thread, conundrum…. I’ve wanted to yank his pistol, quicker than he could obviously react, clear the weapon, and loose a verbal assault on home boy that would still be lingering somewhere in the clouds. Of course, I didn’t count on the little LC-9 he had in his waste-band. These old guys, they’re smarter than we may think  :chuckle:
Yeah gotta expect the little seniorita outta left field…
🤣🤣🤣
Common stock, we work around the clock.
We shove the poles in the holes.

It’s not right vs left, they’re both fed from the same trough. It’s a distraction…It’s have vs have nots and in that scope, everyone here is a have not…
It’s only ever been about class war… Top 1% vs everyone else… Tank the two party system and get real, meaningful change…Whoops, just spilt my beer….

"ATF should be a convenience store, not a government agency."

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2023, 09:30:26 PM »
This thread got me thinking about when My Dad started getting dementia/Alzheimer's. It came to a point when we had to take his keys away to keep him from driving. He did not have the capacity, mentally or physically anymore to drive, without being a complete hazard to those around him. It busted his pride like nothing I have ever witnessed. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

As mush as I hate to say it, putting the individual right to carrying a weapon in the same situation, would have been 100 fold more dangerous to innocent people then driving.
I have never heard of a situation where this has happened though. I am sure it does, just have not heard about it.

I hope I have the wherewithal to make my own decision, if and when that day comes. The idea of putting my family in that situation is not something I ever want them to go through.
  Had to take the car keys from my Dad a few years back and from the father-in-law recently.  Very hard decision, but in both cases they were a danger on the road to themselves and others.  That's part of what bothered me after the encounter. I honestly beleive his cavalier carrying of that handgun was a danger to himself and others.  He wasn't faking or acting, he was just an old fellow who strapped that gun on out of habit the same way my father in  law jumped in his car everyday until he had 3 accidents ( all his fault,but fortunately not major) in 1 month. Hopefully that old boy has family or friends who'll notice what he's doing.

I also had to take my dad's keys away a few years ago, after some minor fender benders.  Then   a year later when he had a trip to the hospital he cold cocked a nurse he was put in restraints. He was not happy and threatened the staff, told them when he's out he's getting his gun and coming back. The hospital would not release him until the guns were removed from the house. He still thinks the crazy lady down the street stole them, even after I told him they are in my safe.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 10:22:08 PM »

:tup: :chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2023, 06:49:48 AM »
God bless him, American,  2nd amendment, probably at least an NRA LIFE Member.

There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2023, 07:11:42 AM »
It’s best not to fool around, or else you’ll find out.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2023, 07:43:05 AM »
I would leave him alone. Not your party. World is full of “What ifs”. Lots of folks get in the soup by injecting into areas they don’t belong.

But hell I am an old guy. I put a gun in my pocket everyday as normal to me and my family as anything I do. When it comes time for me my son is going to paint them red unload and let me wear them around house. ( Two Bonds in Shoulder Rig)

Right now I am in Canada, culture shock for me no gun. My wife even patted me down before we got to the border just to make sure. We will be re entering USA in a week. And a family member is meeting me in eastern wash with my speciality packed package so I can camp 15 more days with my natural attire. :tup:

Every gun regulation started with. “ What if”
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]