collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves in the Methow Valley- Seattle Times Story  (Read 1782 times)

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
Wolves in the Methow Valley- Seattle Times Story
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
Wolves are getting perhaps bad press (locals don't like 'em) in the current issue of the Seattle Times.  Here is the front page story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009307261_wolves06m.html

The story leads with a great trail cam shot.

Ivar
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: Wolves in the Methow Valley- Seattle Times Story
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:48:05 AM »
So let me get this straight....

An Idaho tree hugger group is worried that cattle grazing on public lands is posing a threat to the wolves that may possibly be there? WTF?  >:(

Quote from the article: An Idaho-based environmental group, the Western Watersheds Project, said the federal agency had not properly evaluated the risk Maxwell's grazing operation posed to wolves denning nearby. The group said it feared wolves that made easy prey of cattle could, themselves, wind up dead.

Is the group admitting that the wolves pose a threat to cattle?

It sounds like the organization simply wants to block the private rancher from exercising his permit to graze his animals on Federal land...."Screw the rancher!" mentality? It seems it would not be too difficult to argue that the wolves will get in trouble if the cattle are there or not....by searching out the next most available prey..."some other ranchers herd".....and be in trouble there....somewhere else... So why mess with the rancher?  Am I reading this wrong?

If the environmentalist argue that the wolves are going to get in "trouble".... what is their remedy?  They will reimburse ranchers who can prove they have losses from wolves....., knowing damned well it will be very hard to prove (as stated in the article...).

When will this insanity end?  :bash:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:35:58 AM »
I hope all the pollyannas enjoy watching the end of deer hunting in the methow

Oh and by the way that wolf doesn't look like a native
Dog
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:43:02 AM »
I also took issue with the fact that the rancher temporarily lost access to grazing because an environmentalist group thought they would endanger the wolf pups.  Come on people!  Seriously?

Oh and don't send the pelt in the mail...  S.B.S.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
Maybe the environmentalist group needs to study up on their beloved wolf a little more.  Wolves are nomadic.  They follow the prey species.  They don't sit and wait for prey to come to them.  They may return to denning areas year after year, but yearly movements will always be based on prey species, and pressure from man.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
Maybe the environmentalist group needs to study up on their beloved wolf a little more.  Wolves are nomadic.  They follow the prey species.  They don't sit and wait for prey to come to them.  They may return to denning areas year after year, but yearly movements will always be based on prey species, and pressure from man.

Unfortunately most of the enviros are EXTREMELY shortsighted and cannot see the long term effects of their favorite "action of the week".

Also...they will do seemingly non-sensical things if it advances a long-term agenda.  See spotted owls and logging. >:( >:( >:( :bash: :bash: :bash: :yike:
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
  • TeamYARwetspot-leavin other teams in da wetspot
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
that pic looks a awful lot like a big ole coyote....hmmmm any one wanna go yote hunting with me in the methow?
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline Little Stu

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
that pic looks a awful lot like a big ole coyote....hmmmm any one wanna go yote hunting with me in the methow?

I was thinking the same thing. already heading up there next weekend, really hope i don't mistake one of them for a big ole yote at a few hundred yards, that would be tragic! :dunno: :hunt2:
You will never kill a big one if you spend all your time draging out little ones

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal