collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seeking Advice on Purchase of a Used, Light SUV  (Read 14079 times)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Seeking Advice on Purchase of a Used, Light SUV
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
I'm a Ford guy, and since you said that you're not a bean counter, then my choice is a full sized truck. (4x4 PowerStrokeDiesel)  I almost bought a Dodge Cummins but they didn't offer zero percent financing at the time.

I say full sized because you've got so much more room to haul gear and game.

Sure, my truck costs more, (hell, the engine was a $5,000 option), but it does average 17.5mpg and has gotten up to 21mpg on the freeway. (I've kept a log book since day one.) Will tow my 30' camp trailer up any paved hill. Towing, I get about 15mpg when running across the passes. So, if you think you'd ever want to get a camp trailer for your hunting excursions then you need to think bigger rig.

Diesel can't be denied for its ability to pull and MPG advantage over gas. However, I just can't stand the noise they put out. I am not a career road hunter by any means, but there are plenty of time I have been driving to or from an area and seen a deer or two. When I'm driving for work in a diesel I wonder how many deer take off way before I get there just because the thing is so darned loud. 

That's why I love my older Tundra so much. It basically has the room of a full size truck, but much quieter than a diesel. Sure, I can't pull anywhere near as much weight with mine, but I have never needed to and doubt I ever will. Sorry, another shameless plug from the 'Yota fans.  :dunno:

Offline skipper

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
I'm a Ford guy, and since you said that you're not a bean counter, then my choice is a full sized truck. (4x4 PowerStrokeDiesel)  I almost bought a Dodge Cummins but they didn't offer zero percent financing at the time.

I say full sized because you've got so much more room to haul gear and game.

Sure, my truck costs more, (hell, the engine was a $5,000 option), but it does average 17.5mpg and has gotten up to 21mpg on the freeway. (I've kept a log book since day one.) Will tow my 30' camp trailer up any paved hill. Towing, I get about 15mpg when running across the passes. So, if you think you'd ever want to get a camp trailer for your hunting excursions then you need to think bigger rig.

Diesel can't be denied for its ability to pull and MPG advantage over gas. However, I just can't stand the noise they put out. I am not a career road hunter by any means, but there are plenty of time I have been driving to or from an area and seen a deer or two. When I'm driving for work in a diesel I wonder how many deer take off way before I get there just because the thing is so darned loud. 

That's why I love my older Tundra so much. It basically has the room of a full size truck, but much quieter than a diesel. Sure, I can't pull anywhere near as much weight with mine, but I have never needed to and doubt I ever will. Sorry, another shameless plug from the 'Yota fans.  :dunno:

I could be wrong but I think a Diesel truck would have a less effect of scaring the game off then a gas truck would because they hear diesel tucks all day long in most areas with all the logging and tractors and stuff the very seldom hear a gas truck unless someone is shooting at them from it

Offline ducks55

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
what about a late 97+ pathfinder?

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »
Ivar, The 4runner is really hard to deny. THe 4cyl Toyota 4x4 from the mid 90's would be the ultimate but not allow seating, I ran into that problem and had to upgrade recently.

I heard you say you were looking past the CRV and RAV type rigs... would have been a really solid compromise (losing some off road capability and gaining mileage... both very reliable rigs.)

Nissans are very solid too depending on the maintenance history. (But they're not as forgiving of bad maintanance as the Toyota/Hondas. )

I had a Cherokee and liked it alot, but it got something like 16. Louder and looser, but kept on chugging through some nasty stuff!

I've had Explorers, if you can find one under 70k miles it can be an option. They're not a bad rig for the money if you find one that's really well kept. But you're still looking 14-16mpg. Also louder and looser, squeaks and creaks.

Needing the space and the 4wd capability, I didn't waver an inch from the 4runner. I just bought a 97 Limited.

For my recommendation, I'd point you straight at the 4runner, but allow you to let a well maintained Pathfinder to turn your head for a look too.

(Rebuilder / Licensed Dealer for 10 years.)
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
Rainshadow, thanks for tha particulars. All are very helpful.  I counted out the RAV4-class vehicle because I didn't want to compromise the ability to get down rather rough roads.  I was faced with that just yesterday, as I was hunting the Swanson Lakes area.  There are several roads (Lonepine and Grant- actually named county roads) that are impassable to the average sedan.  That limited my hunting somewhat (though there is lots of acreage that was accessible).

I've spotted a couple of older 4-runners on Craigslist for about $3K.  Having never driven one, I wouldn't know what to 'listen for' in a test drive.  One had 270K miles, but rebuilt tranny and engine.  I am hoping to find one that isn't jacked up on big tires.  I don't mind the extra ground clearance, but I am sure it gives up something in 'stability' when cruising down the road. (Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers likened these jacked up small SUVs to basketballs bouncing down the road.  It wouldn't take much to get them to swap ends.)

Ivar
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »
If you're patient you will find one - or several - that have never left pavement. (Just beware of the 2wd models... Like tits on a Bull!)

The all wheel drive RAV/CRV vehicles are definately more capable than your Dodge sedan. By a long ways, but aren't as capable as the "true" 4wd vehicles.
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
I would consider a Suzuki or Geo Tracker.
Small, better mileage.
Seem like they would go.
I used a RAV4 for scouting.
Did OK, but would need more tire to go very far.
Current is Tacoma and seems very capable offroad.
AVG mpg is 16.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
Well, guys.  I pulled the pin and bought a rig.  It didn't turn out to be the fiscally conservative older model that I had hoped for, but a newer "socially acceptable" model. My wife reminded me that were I to have stuck to my plan, our three rigs together would have had close to half a million miles on them (combined). I had to buy some reliability.

We bought a 2006 Explorer.  Hey, it has leather seats, and that was important to her. (This having something to do with getting her panties in a wad when she'd get out of the car.  Leather is kinder to women wearing dresses. WHo knew?)

It will ride nice down the 4-lane, and get me down enough rough roads to keep me happy.  It doesn't have the ground clearance of a true 4x4, but it'll get me out of town in the winter. 

I've already plastered it with my 'colors':

Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:09 PM »
Way to go, Ivar! Good to keep the wife happy, too. 

And just where did I miss that kick @$$ window decal???  :dunno:

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
I had a '98 , I was impressed with the 4wd system. In the snow I couldn't make it lose control under "normal" driving conditions (I tried to!) Nice decals!
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
My brother drives a similar Explorer and loves it- never has trouble.  I think you made a good choice.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »
We have an 03 and love it. 

Best of luck.
Neil

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]