collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cow elk thinks shes a coyote  (Read 2458 times)

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • TeamYARwetspot-leavin other teams in da wetspot
cow elk thinks shes a coyote
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
slow at work so i took the foxpro out to a few new areas to see if anybody lives there. i found a real promising spot so i set up the call and the jack in the box get about 80 yards from it up on a hill and set off a dsg cottontail distress call. about 45 seconds into it a cow elk comes literally charging out of the brush towards the call. she stops short about 20 yards and just stared at it. i shut it off and she eventually walked a way till i turned it on again and she popped back around the corner to stare at it. the whole thing was pretty funny, i got a couple pics but i wish i would have had video. rabbit in distress truly calls any thing  :chuckle:
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
Re: cow elk thinks shes a coyote
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
littlebuf, be careful with that. Sometimes older animals come to those sounds to investigate and to help out what ever is being attacked. A prime example, we were predator calling in Alaska and we had about a 40 inch bull moose charge out of the treeline and litterally smash the crap out of the electronic call and when we seen what it was doing we stood up and started yelling at it and it actually came at us.

Don't know if anyone else had anything like this happen would be interested to hear some more stories on this type of behavior.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
yeah i shut the call off when she popped out, i could just see her stomping the hell outa my foxpro  :yike:
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
Yep all the animals seem a little more aggressive this time of year.  I just had an aggressive young buck getting a little attitude with me.  I was standing right in plain sight and he didnt seem to willing to back down.  Im not too worried about the deer and elk but an aggressive bear is a little scary.  Of course that will be the plan come August.   :chuckle:

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
All those new mothers are out there protecting their young.  That cow probably has a month old (or younger) calf back in the brush, and wasn't in the mood to see any type of predator killing anything.  If you haven't seen first hand what a pissed off elk can do, well just be careful!
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
she dint have a calf i was actually able to watch her for a while and then found her again in the next draw over, she was pretty chatty and i put a mouth reed in and talked to her a while, she was certainly acting like a momma tho. i think maybe she lost her calf to a predator  :dunno:

Offline alanger

• Yar ankle biter
  • Sourdough
  • Team super bait
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »
A couple of times last year some deer were getting agressive and then we walked up and around a knowl and there were a bunch more adn a bunch of fawns. a buck got ready to charge us on the way out trying to get some pictures. scratched his hoof on the ground and had a firm stance. we thought we would move quiker and that we got enough pictures.
~Ankle biter out~

Team super bait!     Gamakatsu     ~Ugly Stick~
Abu Garcia  'Bone Collector'   -Bowtech-  <Berkley fishing>
Cannon~DigiTroll     FLW Outdoors     ~Cabela's~

Offline blindpig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »
nice reads, didn't realize they would do stuff like that.  Interesting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]