collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: $350 Budget  (Read 16690 times)

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
$350 Budget
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
I am shopping for a new Binoculars but I am on a $350 budget.  I mostly hunt Archery so I am looking for a compact pair that is light and not to big.  But I do want to use them for scouting and rifle hunting as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Nikon vs. Leupold?  :dunno:

Thanks,
Austrian

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: $350 Budget
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
Bucklucky has a new pair of Burris signature selects 10x50 for $300 in the Classifieds $525 new.

Offline 509er

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »
I bought the Leupold Cascade 10 x 42.  Good compromise of cost, quality and size, and they are waterproof.  I am very happy with them.  Cost was $279 new at walmart.
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline Steve C

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
OK, it is $370, but get the new ZEN ED II in 7x36.  It weighs 21 oz has a 480' fov and a view that will knock your socks off.  I'm privileged to be playing with the last pre production prototype.  Delivery scheduled for the first week of August.
Steve

Theodore Roosevelt:  "Do what you can where you are with what you have."

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
After long and hard research and online shopping, I found Nikon Monarch ATB's in Camo 8x42 for $250 online. One of the best purchases I've made in my hunting gear and I wont upgrade until I lose them or inherit $1,000,000.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
i use nikon monarchs in 10x42 and love them...under 300 everywhere. i happened to catch them on sale 2 years ago at joe's for 20% off.

vortex diamondbacks are great too for the $$ and under $200.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
Another for Nikon Monarchs. I have the 10x42's and for the price they are awesome. Allot of guys on here really like the Zen Rays.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »
I have Nikon Monarchs 10x42's and love them.  Well worth the money! ! !

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
Hey Rene' send Pope a PM and ask him what kind his are. I had a chance several times last year to compare side by side with my EL's and they were not bad. They are 10X42's I believe and were in the price range. Other than those I also like the Nikons in the 10X42 for that price range. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
I am amazingly happy with our sponsors binos.....

https://hunting-washington.com/zen/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
Hey Rene' send Pope a PM and ask him what kind his are. I had a chance several times last year to compare side by side with my EL's and they were not bad. They are 10X42's I believe and were in the price range. Other than those I also like the Nikons in the 10X42 for that price range. :twocents:

i never thought there was enough difference between the EL's and my monarchs, not enough to justify the price of the EL anyway.
i think you get to a point and you are spending hundreds of dollars more for pennies worth of difference.
 :dunno:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
Theres a big difference when you leave them on your bumper and you drive off.  :chuckle:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
i never thought there was enough difference between the EL's and my monarchs, not enough to justify the price of the EL anyway.

I have been fortunate enough to have both and be able to sit and compare them side by side during low light situations. Although they are a lot more money, the EL's are hands down better under these conditions. This is not to say the Zens, Nikons are not good quality optics but lets not get it twisted either, they may not be in most peoples budgets but the Swarovskis are without question brighter/sharper. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to have both and be able to sit and compare them side by side during low light situations. Although they are a lot more money, the EL's are hands down better under these conditions.

i have too...compared them that is...
 :dunno: guess it just depends on what you feel you need.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
guess it just depends on what you feel you need.

Or how crazy you to write the check :chuckle:

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
Theres a big difference when you leave them on your bumper and you drive off.  

I can't tell you how many times i've done that!

I always get them back and are still working...

I would cry if my $1700 binos hit the dirt.

I have the 10x Monarchs and they do the job....I'd upgrade but It seems I'm pretty hard on the binos for some reason.

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I am close to buying mine, I am considering the ZEN ED 10x43 and the Nikon 10-42 in camo.  I hear allot about the Nikon Monarch, only good things.  I am not familiar with the Zen but they are site sponsors and the products seems to be high quality.  Rob, thanks, if I could, I would own a pair of Swarovski's they are made in Austria. LOL  

Thank you!
Austrian  

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »
you should hit up charles from zen ray and see if he has any demo's he'd be willing to send you to try out. he does that from time to time.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
Thats a good idea.   I had that pleasure and he was brave enough, or believed enough in his product to let me say what I really wanted to say about them in a review.   :chuckle:   NOW THATS brave.  I since upgraded and bought a pair. 

Offline Steve C

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
When I decided to go to roof prism binoculars and when I did not have a lot of money, I bought Nikon Monarchs.  They did the job, but the longer I used them, the more apparent their drawbacks bcame.  I still have them.  I no longer recommend them, nor do I use them, although they are a decent binocular and if I have to use them again, they will work.  However, there is absolutely no way the Nikon Monarch can defend itself against the ZEN ED.  It gets whacked in every category.  The ZEN resolves color longer into twilight, has better depth of field, a far wider field of view, better color, better resolution.  The Monarch has an advantage of being lighter. So get the Monarch if you want.  But Zen Ray has a 30 day return for refund policy that I would suggest you try. I also have a ZRS, which for $200 is better than the Monarch too.  The Monarch showed up a decade ago, and Nikon has sat on their laurels with it.  Meanwhile it has been passed up by new product development from its competition.
Steve

Offline ZRS-8x42

• Scout
    • Zen-Ray Optics
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
I am amazingly happy with our sponsors binos.....

https://hunting-washington.com/zen/

Austrian Hunter, there are a lot of technical reviews on the ZEN ED binoculars on this and many other sites. I can PM you some of the links.  I just want you to know that by going through link provided by boneaddict, the proceeds also help running this site. We also provide lifetime warranty on our products and 30-day no question asked return policy. Please let me know if you have any question about our products. Thanks.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
We also provide lifetime warranty on our products and 30-day no question asked return policy. Please let me know if you have any question about our products.

You can't go wrong with that Rene', awesome.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
Best glass and warranty in the price range.... pick your poison from these 3: Leupold/Zen Ray/Vortex. 

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 08:37:44 AM »
When I decided to go to roof prism binoculars and when I did not have a lot of money, I bought Nikon Monarchs.  They did the job, but the longer I used them, the more apparent their drawbacks bcame.  I still have them.  I no longer recommend them, nor do I use them, although they are a decent binocular and if I have to use them again, they will work.  However, there is absolutely no way the Nikon Monarch can defend itself against the ZEN ED.  It gets whacked in every category.  The ZEN resolves color longer into twilight, has better depth of field, a far wider field of view, better color, better resolution.  The Monarch has an advantage of being lighter. So get the Monarch if you want.  But Zen Ray has a 30 day return for refund policy that I would suggest you try. I also have a ZRS, which for $200 is better than the Monarch too.  The Monarch showed up a decade ago, and Nikon has sat on their laurels with it.  Meanwhile it has been passed up by new product development from its competition.

:yeah:

While the Monarch is a decent bino there are better values in the price range you're looking in. 

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »
I too demo'd the Zen ED 10x43 this winter thanks to Charles.  I liked them so much I bought a pair.  Now my steiner's just roll around in the truck in case I need a pair during the rest of the year.  the Zen ED's will come out in the next 60 days while scouting and bear hunting.  excited to spend some time without my eyes getting ripped out of the sockets.

Offline wsmnut

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
OK, it is $370, but get the new ZEN ED II in 7x36.  It weighs 21 oz has a 480' fov and a view that will knock your socks off.  I'm privileged to be playing with the last pre production prototype.  Delivery scheduled for the first week of August.

Steve,
     Will we see a review soon on the new model?  I am really pleased by my Zen ED's (8x43) and am thinking about the new 7x
for my wife as a treat.  Thanks in advance if you do!
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.
Moron Lube

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »
According to Charles "The major difference between ED2 and ED is the use of dielectric prism coating. The light tranmission rate can be up to 3-5% improvement. However, it might not be discernable to human eyes because we are not very sensitive to those few percentage of brightness change."

Just sharing what what I was told when I inquired.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
For me, the optical quality of the Zen ED was the same as Vortex Vipers.  The main difference for me was he Vortex were about an inch shorter and noticeably lighter...  The "no questions asked" lifetime warranty is also great for those of us that drive off with them on the bumper of your car or just drop and break them.   :twocents:

Offline Steve C

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
Steve,
     Will we see a review soon on the new model?  I am really pleased by my Zen ED's (8x43) and am thinking about the new 7x for my wife as a treat.  Thanks in advance if you do!

Well, like everyone else, mine are preordered.  When I get them I will certainly give them a write up.  From the spec sheet, they are close to my ideal binocular.  I've got a 7x36 Swift Eaglet, a 7/12x32 Leupold GR Switch power, a Vortex Diamondback 7x36, a Bushnell 7x36  EX, a Fury 6.5x32, and an Eagle Optics Raven 6,5x32 so I will be able to do a fair representation of the 6.5-7x compact range.  Not all of them are mine, but I think I can maintain them untill after the 7x36 ZEN ED II shows up.
Steve

Offline ZRS-8x42

• Scout
    • Zen-Ray Optics
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
There are a lot of questions surrounding the new ED2.  In addition to the dielectric prism coating, which is the most important feature of this new product, there are a few other small changes as well.

Please the thread I started last week for more detailed information
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,29071.0.html

Just my honest opinion, not everyone has to get the most expensive ZEN ED2 binoculars (expensive in relative term ;)).  Some improvements or features are important to some users, whereas the others have different priority.  That's why we have models in every budget level, that are competitive in performance/price ratio.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
Another for Nikon Monarchs. I have the 10x42's and for the price they are awesome.

:yeah:  I have the Monoarchs also. Pricepoint and clearity won me over the comparable Leupolds.

Sounds like I'd like to get a pair of the Zen Rays to my eyes though.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »

Steve,
I can't find any in that price range.  :dunno:

Austrian

Offline ZRS-8x42

• Scout
    • Zen-Ray Optics
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
OK, it is $370, but get the new ZEN ED II in 7x36.  It weighs 21 oz has a 480' fov and a view that will knock your socks off.  I'm privileged to be playing with the last pre production prototype.  Delivery scheduled for the first week of August.

Steve,
I can't find any in that price range.  :dunno:

Austrian

Austrian,

We have 20% coupon for all waterproof binoculars. The code is SAVE20.

http://www.zen-ray.com/store
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:09:36 PM by ZRS-8x42 »

Offline adam.WI

• Scout
  • the pup
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 04:47:24 AM »
I have Nikon Monarchs 10x42's and love them.  Well worth the money! ! !
agreed

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 07:34:09 PM »
Well I bought the Nikon Monarch 10-42, I like the camo, size and weight.  I got a hammer deal way below my budget.  

I am 100% sure that the Zen optics are better quality and I will buy one for work, the new once coming out sometimes in August? That would not work for my personal use since I will be gone Bear hunting beginning Aug 7th. But again, I need a pair for work to look and spy around the property ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:46:50 PM by Austrian Hunter »

Offline Rack Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
May be a little late but I bought the Leupold Mojave 10x42 last year for a Montana trip.  Hands down the best money I have ever spent.  Sure there are better but I bought the best ones I could afford.  I love the way they feel.  Just thought I would share.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »
 ZEISS, Binoculars

http://spokane.craigslist.org/bar/1314403502.html

Might be worth looking at.

Tony 270WSM

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 03:29:35 PM »
I'd go for the Zen Ray ED 8x43 at $360 (on sale plus 20% off code). Blow Monarchs away. I have the Summits and like them better than the Monarchs I've had.

Offline Armadillo

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
You cant go wrong with monarchs, they are a great glass, I do want to get my hands on the Zen ed soon though, I love the style and performance
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline Maligator

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 04:20:33 AM »
Just purchased the Zen ED 8x43 glass. After 20% off coupon: use code MyED2, I paid $400 plus $8 priority shipping. I will let you know what I think after I get them.

I had looked @ the Swaro EL: bit outta my price range presently, Leupold goldenring: bit heavy, and well the Zeisse ultra vids...again well out of my price range at present. I REALLY like the VIP warranty of Vortex but...at double the price of the Zen Ray and considering the fact that Zen Ray is a site sponsor, I went that route  ;)

Like I said, will let you know what I think after I get them and put them through the paces this year.
NAHC Life Member

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »
Cabelas has all the Monarch ATB's on sale right now.  Just got the 12x42 for $260 after mail in rebate.
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
Zen Rays are so much better.... do yourself a favor and try em.............you'll love em.  :twocents:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline orchemo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
Avoid buying a compact size. The field of view and light transmission will never match a mid sized. I have a set of Leupold's. but also looked at Nikon, Burris, ect.

The chest harnesses are nice for carrying in the field. Keep the glass on your chest and not swinging around.

Eric

Offline G.R.K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
The best Quote on optics.

As per always,I'd rather buy used Excellence,than a shiny new POS..................
Losing is natures' way of saying you suck.

Offline surfj9009

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
Does anybody here have any thoughts or experience with the Burris Fullfield binocs? I have been very happy with the 2 Burris scopes I have, and so I am considering their binocs as well.

Any thoughts?

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
I'll just throu this out.  I went into Sportsman's Whse. 2 years ago.  Tried every 10x40 in the store.  Side by side.  narrowed it down to Nikon, Leuopold and Minox.  Went outside with the sales person and all three.  After 15 minutes looking into shadows and playing with them, I walked out with the Minox.  100% waterproof and excellent.  Two years hunting with them in western Wa in the rain and snow and I couldn't be happier.  Just my 2 cents.  Out the door at $300

Offline snowninja

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
leupold mojaves. compared them to the nikon monarchs, 8x42 the leupold felt better built and no complaints of eye cup problems that i have read re: the monarchs.. best $320 i have spent in a long time.

Offline Galpster

• Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
Does anybody here have any thoughts or experience with the Burris Fullfield binocs? I have been very happy with the 2 Burris scopes I have, and so I am considering their binocs as well.

Any thoughts?
I love my burris scope but have never tried their binocs. Burris is middle of the road on price but I think they are way under rated. Great product above others in the same price range. i would love a pair of field Burris binocs and I bet you get them for $100. Way better than $300 and of equal quality.

Anyone disagree!!
Hunt em, Kill em, Eat em. Do not hunt em if you aren't going to eat em.

Offline columbiaman

• Hunter
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
Zen Rays are so much better.... do yourself a favor and try em.............you'll love em.  :twocents:

with $350 budget, you should seriously consider the ZEN ED. It just blow everything else under $1000 off the table.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]