collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Saying Hello and looking for assistance  (Read 3783 times)

Offline millirad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Saying Hello and looking for assistance
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »
Hello all. I am new to the board. I just found the site last evening. I have got an itch after spending the weekend fly fishing for steelhead on the Methow. I was amazed at number turkeys I saw. I experience this same itch after fishing the Tucannon last August. So I figured why not combine the two activities, fishing and upland bird hunting, on the same trip (seasons permitting of course). Well to get to the point, I have a 12 ga Model 11 and Crescent SxS Peerless 16 ga. I called Remington with serial number and it was manufactured in 1905. As close as I can tell the Peerless around 1922. Both are in great condition and useable. Because of there current condition I am leaning toward preserving them. So, the assistance I am seeking is this. Should I go with Remington 11-87 12 or 20 gauge? Initially I will be hunting pheasant, maybe turkey, and eventually(far off in the future) waterfowl.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Bill

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Saying Hello and looking for assistance
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
12 gauge hands down.
much more versatile and much less limiting.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

sisu

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
12 gauge hands down.
much more versatile and much less limiting.

ditto

Offline millirad

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was actually leaning toward the 12 ga. Now only have to decide what flavor. Black synthetic, Camo or wood if available. And yes I know its a personal choice I will have make. Once again, thanks for the replies.

Bill

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
I have 6 12ga's and yet have been carrying my 20ga SxS all season....go figure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »
it's because there's something cool about a double gun....for upland hunting anyway. i have 2 double guns, neither of them have seen the woods in a long time. one's very old, one's not so old. the 12's see the action, which has been mainly turkey hunting and a couple waterfowl trips in the last couple years. that or my skb o/u 20 gauge in the grouse woods.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
Black synthetic, Camo or wood if available
synthetic in one way, shape or form would get my nod in an 11-87. no worries about damage it may incur.

Offline millirad

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »
I will be upfront with you. I am novice to bird hunting. Although the 12 ga is more versital, is thier the potential for too much gun for pheasant, quail, etc? Would a remedy be a shorter shell? I handled both the 12 and 20 today. The 20 is definitely lighter to carry. I am always looking to buy new toys in the future. :)

Bill

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »
you are not gonna over gun a bird, you can over choke, but unlike a rifle, you are not gonna hit a bird with 100% of the load. I usually take my O/U 12ga on late season birds, but I have been doing well with my 20 so why not enjoy a lighter faster handling gun and less weight in shells? I would take a 12 as my one and only, but for a quick handling upland gun a 20 is going to be faster every time. you really can't go wrong with either.

Offline millirad

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
Well after doing many hours and miles of looking for guns I picked up a 12 ga 870 wingmaster. I got a good deal on used one and in great condition. Next is to hit the range and shoot some trap. Thanks to all who had replied.

Bill

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan