collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Prices will go up again  (Read 2790 times)

Offline 509er

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Prices will go up again
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
New recreational licensing fees will
support fishing, hunting opportunities

OLYMPIA - Washington fishers and hunters will soon see several changes in recreational license fees, approved by the 2009 Legislature to help maintain state fishing and hunting opportunities.

Those changes, which include a temporary surcharge on fishing and hunting licenses, will help offset a $30 million cutback in state funding for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), said Joe Stohr, the department’s deputy director.

"While looking for ways to balance the budget, state lawmakers recognized that maintaining fishing and hunting opportunities costs money," Stohr said.  "They also recognize that those activities are an important part of our state’s economy."

In all, the new fees approved by the Legislature are expected to raise $11 million for fish and wildlife management over the next two years, Stohr said.  Those revenues will help WDFW meet key management responsibilities, such as monitoring fish and wildlife populations, collecting harvest data and enforcing fish and wildlife laws

Changes in license fees include:

Two-year surcharge:   A temporary, 10 percent surcharge on sales of recreational licenses, permits, tags, stamps and raffle tickets. The surcharge takes effect July 26, and will be in place until June 30, 2011. Authorized by House Bill 1778, it is the first across-the-board recreational license fee increase in more than a decade.
Two-pole option:   A new license option allowing anglers to use two fishing poles in specific waters for an additional, annual fee of $20 ($5 for resident seniors). The two-pole option, authorized by House Bill 1778, will generate revenue for hatchery fish production. The two-pole option will be available after state rules are adopted designating waters where two fishing poles will be allowed.
Columbia Basin salmon and steelhead endorsement pilot program:   A new $7.50 annual fee for adult anglers who fish the Columbia River and its tributaries for salmon and steelhead. Authorized by Senate Bill 5421, the fee will take effect next year and be in place through 2014.  The Columbia River Recreational Salmon and Steelhead Pilot Program, which is exempt from the new two-year surcharge, will provide funding to maintain and improve salmon and steelhead fishing opportunities in the Columbia River.  The funds will support fishery data collection and evaluation, as well as enforcement and related activities. WDFW is convening a citizen advisory board to help guide the pilot program.
Pheasant permits:   A fee increase for western Washington pheasant hunting permits, beginning July 26. Adopted under House Bill 1778 to maintain pheasant production for westside release sites, the increase will raise permit fees to $35 for youth, $75 for resident adults and $150 for non-resident adults. A separate small game license will no longer be required to hunt pheasants in Western Washington, but it will still be required to hunt other small game species such as waterfowl and quail.  License requirements and permits for hunting pheasants in eastern Washington are not affected by this initiative.
Stohr noted that none of the new fees are reflected in this year’s fishing or big-game hunting pamphlets, which were printed before the Legislature took action.  All of the licenses and permits will also be subject to existing dealers’ fees and transaction fees, which help offset the cost of the permitting process. 

In addition to legislative initiatives, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission approved a measure at its July 10-11 meeting in Olympia that authorizes license dealers to begin charging a 50-cent handling fee for each migratory-bird permit they issue.  WDFW currently mails out those permits, but plans to move to point-of-sale distribution by license dealers starting Sept. 1.

The new process is expected to save WDFW $20,000 per year in staff time and mailing costs, while also expediting the receipt of hunter reports used in managing the harvest of brant, snow geese and other migratory birds.

I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline 509er

• Sourdough
Re: Prices will go up again
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
 :ass:

:sas:

:P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:13:10 PM by 509er »
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Offline Mike_D

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
I saw this announcement when it first came out.  It would be reasonable, IF the state actually spent our money wisely and increased hunting opportunities. :bs: However, I just don't see it that way, and I'm afraid I might be looking at a different state for my recreation next year... {I've already got my docs for this year} :(  Which is totally crappy since WA does have a hugely diverse environment.
Be courteous to all but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence;

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I think it is a bunch of crap we already pay more than any other state dam neer for a opportunity to hunt! I agree with mike d the money they are getting from us right now is not being spent wisely at all, you really dont see any improvements to the habitat or game populations increasing because our state does not know how to manage  wildlife. And watch that increase will stay there past 2011 and until they decide they are not getting enough money again, then they will raise it again.

sisu

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
I will be fishing and hunting outside of this state starting this fall and it will continue that way for a L-O-N-G time.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
Along with the DFW claiming not enough bull escapment in the colockum....here we see where they are planning to remove more escape cover. Just a fine job of wildlife management

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/psl_ts_jun09_littlejoe_map.pdf
Jim I found these timber sales on the DNR
website and to me the map on page 5 shows one of the sales on

the Caribou rd some on Clockum rd around the
start of Brewton and one on Clockum around the start of

Naneum.
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

* Advertisement