collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you use for a tent/bivy/tarp?  (Read 10007 times)

Offline halflife65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
What do you use for a tent/bivy/tarp?
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
I've been using an REI Quarter Dome 2 tent - I weighed it the other day with everything that I would pack along with it (tent, fly, footprint, pegs) and it weighs in at 4.6 pounds.  Not too bad, but I'm always looking to get lighter.  Also, it's rather bulky and, by the time I put my sleeping bag (either North Face 0 degree or Kelty 25 degree) and pad (Thermarest Prolite 3), it ends up taking a lot of room so I strap it on the outside.

What do you use to sleep in to keep weight and bulkiness down?  If a tarp/tarp tent do you use some sort of ground clothe?  If so, what?  Just curious about what other people are carrying and why they think it is a good way to go. 

My stove and gear are pretty light - if I can figure out how to lighten up on the sleeping system (tent and bag), I should really be able to cut some weight.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
Re: What do you use for a tent/bivy/tarp?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
I don't have just one tent or one sleeping bag. I carry a setup which changes with the seasons and conditions. I use tarps, bug netting, double wall and single wall tents as well as the latest purchase via BearPaw==> Killbilly : a larger tent for car camping. For sleeping bags I use down or synthetic and even poncho liners. In the past I have also used a mere synthetic sleeping bag liner for Septembers.

The first key to explore how I should go about trimming down my bags was to select one sizer smaller than the smallest backpack I thought can get away with. Then I learned what I could actually live without or even what might be a better fit as far as different products are concerned.

Overall I would say that using some sort of tarp system will generally be lighter than the conventional tent. Also being in the infantry for numerous years I lived by the watchwords of "travel light and freeze at night". I sleep well in cooler weather up to a certain point. It's getting dry clothes on at the end of the day which allows me to do this for an extended period of time.

Offline PWN Kurt

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
My favorite tents are the floorless pyramid style tents.  My first one was a megamid by Black Diamond and now I use a GoLite hexamid.  One pole in the center, ultra light fabric.  I've used these tents mountaineering and in some pretty impressive rainstorms.  You need to have some pretty solid stakes, and a ultralight tarp under your bag is a good idea in 'wet' season.  You can get sil-shelters from Integral Designs too.

These tents are ultra light, and have headroom in the center, so their easy to get dressed in.  No floor, so you can wear your boots in, let the dog in, spill the coffee.

The down side to floorless tents are mice can get in...and the girlfriend thinks the spiders have free range (she's correct).

Down sleeping bags cut down weight too.

Kurt

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
if using one the most I have used is three army ponchos, snapped together or one army poncho like a jungle style.

Infantry all teh way, go light freeze at night
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Tim

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:36:33 AM »
I use a Kifaru Super Tarp pitched on the ground if its cold( 1bs.)If its colderI use the annex to enclose it(add 6 oz.)and maybe a small canister wood stove if its real cold(add2 lbs.)If its warm and wet with aloy of bugs I use a Claytor Jungle Hammock with the super tarp over it for a rain fly(total wieght3 lbs.)

Offline mattaylor81

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
I was using a Marmot EOS 1P tent.  It was pretty light.  In order to go lighter and at the same time have more room  I now have an 8' x 10' Integral Designs Silnylon tarp that I use.  There are many configurations to set it up in depending on the weather and it is big enough for 2 people or a mansion for 1 person and gear.

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
8 OZ 8X10 Sil Tarp Made by integral designs. About 150$.Super light, super water repelent, super reliable.  This is simply the best.

For a bag stay away from down as if its wet your screwed. I personaly use a old patrol bag, and wear some long johns if need be with a light fleece bag liner. Lighter than a mid temp bag, and you can loose the liner if necessary. Still may get chilly, but definatly not unbearable in the 60° range.

If your looking to lighten your load, one thing most over look is the pack itself. It may be comfy, but there are some HEAVY packs out these days.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
I don't agree that down is something to stay away from. Knowing the conditions you might encounter really dictate whether or not down is a suitable choice more than anything.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »
Tarptent Contrail.  Weighs in at 24 oz.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
Lots of guys going to the tarps/tarptents.  Do you all use trecking poles to set them up or just tie them to a tree, use sticks, etc?  I've used an emergency tube tent a couple of times when I've been out without a tent at all and just used some parachute cord to set it up.

Also, what do you use as a groundcloth if the ground is wet?  Just curious - it looks like it's possible to add some weight here if you don't choose carefully.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:42:02 PM »
I use trekking poles for some and just 550 chord for others. If it's going to be snowy on the ground where I anticipate more than 2 inches then I will use a tent. Otherwise I don't normally use a ground mat at all for a tarp system.

Offline tonymoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
    • Goatrocksadventures.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
I use the MSR Twin Sister, I don't worry about the floor being wet. it weighs in at 2lbs. (packed weight)  and I either tether it of from the top of the tent to trees or just whack off the right size sticks that are laying about.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
That's a lot like one of the shelters I use - a BD Betamid. I also have the bug netting to go with it. Which is useful in August to early September.

I also just use those plain cheap tarps at times.

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »
I don't agree that down is something to stay away from. Knowing the conditions you might encounter really dictate whether or not down is a suitable choice more than anything.
Good point, BUT...
I did a 3.5 day 75 mile training trek, where the average temp was near 10°, with no humidity in Bend Or two yrs ago. Bag was stellar the first night, but then with a bivy tent, it began to "sweat". Even with time to "dry by the fire", the bag was not up to snuff. So much in fact, i didnt even sleep in it the final night, but opted for a fire bed instead.

Offline letmhunt

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
I use a gortex bivy sac. ultra light weight perfect for hiking in and hunting from one place to the next. elk move so you have to move with them. :archer: :archer:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]