collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lightweight game bags  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Lightweight game bags
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:27:31 AM by Miles »

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Lightweight game bags
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
I use Alaskan game bags.  I tried the Allen bags one year and the mesh was not very tight and they began to tear.  I saw at Sportsman's warehouse 4 of the Alaskan game big bags were 18 bucks.  Good price.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
These are the lightest bags out there ... and they are strong too! You could carry ten of them and still be lighter than one Alaskan game bag!!! Spendy but worth it if you are looking to cut wieght.

https://www.kifaru.net/meatbag.html
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Tim

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
Kifaru stuff is great but here is a good alternative T.A.G. bags www.pristineventures.com about 1/2 the price

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »
I use the Alaskan bags as well, I got tired of ripping. I don't pack them around with me though, I just go back for them if I get something down, I use that trip for getting rid of most of my gear anyway and then grab my pack and bags for the trip back for the animal. Its one more hike but I combat that by cutting back on the beer the month or two before the season starts. :brew:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
I use the Alaskan bags as well, I got tired of ripping. I don't pack them around with me though, I just go back for them if I get something down, I use that trip for getting rid of most of my gear anyway and then grab my pack and bags for the trip back for the animal. Its one more hike but I combat that by cutting back on the beer the month or two before the season starts. :brew:

Agree. I usually start cutting and send someone else to get the gear?  :chuckle:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
plain white sheets, cut them up make your own bags.. bleach them after use and your good to go for years.....
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
plain white sheets, cut them up make your own bags.. bleach them after use and your good to go for years.....

I usually find my white sheets/game bags at goodwill for pennies on the dollar.  takes about 15 min. to make 2 if  you know how to use a sewing machine, or have a wife that does.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »
If you're going to bone out meat, I would try the kifaru meat sacks.  I've used them for years, and they are very durable and weigh nothing.  The smaller meat sack is a tubular design that spreads the meat in a compressed vertical position, which fits nicely in your pack and disperses the weight evenly on your back.  Last year, I helped bone out  whitetail and we fit the entire boned-out deer into 1 of the smaller meat sacks.  Nothing wasted either.

Offline Vek

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
TAG bags from pristineventures - get the caribou set.  All you need for quarters or boned out meat, up to and including elk.  They are way light and very tough, and breathe well enough that meat can crust inside like it would in a dry cotton bag.  I can't recommend them highly enough. 

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Good stuff.  I use the Alaska Game Bags mostly but just a couple other ideas - go to the Goodwill and pick up some king size cotton pillow cases (the newer the better for durability).  They work very well for elk quarters and/or bagging up boned out meat.  Also, I pack two twin size bed sheets to spread out and lay clean meat on.  One goes over the top to keep the flies off.  Usually I grab some limbs to create an elevated grid first to allow air under the meat.  Works very well for hot weather hunting where maximizing evaporation cooling is critical to keeping meat from spoiling.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
I like the Alaskas....

Offline Maligator

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
Well...after reading the reviews of those here, I decided to go ahead and order the Alaskan TAG bags. I know there are cheaper ways to pack out game but I just figured it was another excuse to buy more hunting gear!  ;)
NAHC Life Member

Offline taylorpz

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:30:47 PM »
Just FYI, Alaskan makes two types of bags:  game and transport.  The transport bags are much thicker and heavier (like canvas drop cloths); the game bags are light and breathable.  The Alaskan game bags are actually lighter than the TAG bags for set of four (about 4 ounces).  The TAG bags are synthetic and easier to clean, but are also about 4 times as expensive.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]