collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fireproof single gun case?  (Read 11237 times)

Offline uncoolperson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Fireproof single gun case?
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
the apt thing means I can't do the gigantic safe, but I'd like to offer one of my rifles some fire protection.

Either they ain't made or my google fu is lacking, anyone know if there is a maker of something like this?

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: Fireproof single gun case?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »
Huh, ive never seen a single gun fire rated case, but there could be one avail, remember nothing is fire proof just fire rated, in a fire the contents of even the best safes can be damaged by the intense heat, the protection they offer is not the immediate damage from no protection and the hope that the fire can be contained/put out before any major damage happens, firearms that have been in fires in safes can suffer wood damage to the stocks or melted synthetic stocks, but the actions can come out ok and usable, sometimes with just a clean ing and restock..
Could possibly get some nomex material to wrap the guns in and make sure they are on an outside wall..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »
Sentry makes gun safes.  They have one that holds 5  guns and weighs 70 pounds.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/gunSafes.aspx

I could be wrong, but I think all of their safes are fire rated.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
Get one of the $150 gun lockers and line it with a few layers of sheet rock.  This will fire proof it.  This is essentially what my case hase.  Just make sure you have a de-humidifier so the gun doesn't pit.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »
That's a good idea.  Sheetrock is what they use in the safes, anyway.

Offline flashover52

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:27:48 AM »
Having worked in a fire laboratory running fire tests on walls to determine how long they'll last during a pre-determined fire exposure, yes sheetrock will help. I'll spare you with the technical details but 5/8" Type X lining a basic gun safe will provide "some" additional level of protection.

I've actually suggested to a couple of friends that they could build an additional closet around their safe, line the inside of that with 2 layers of sheetrock and then 2 more on the outside. That will protect it from the heat a bit longer than what ever they are rated at. You would have to have a closet door that opens enough so you can get to your gun safe though. Be sure to overlap all seams, mud and tape each layer for additional smoke protection. That penetration is the damaging effect.

You could even obtain some intumescent paint which expands upon heat exposure and provides additional heat resistance. It's similar to the gasketing used on fire rated safes but paints on like latex. Expands like the old carbon pellets that when lit as kids, would turn to long snakes that made a mess in the driveway. Hopefully the apartment complex maintenance guys don't hear you building anything inside and come looking....

The ratings on gun safes are also a bit misleading. Be sure to look at the duration AND the temperature it was exposed to. Some are 1250 degrees F while I've seen others up at 1700 F. You'll certainly get what you pay for. You might have a hard time trying to get additional sheetrock in a basic Sentry safe but can easily encase it.

As for a Nomex material gun sock lining, I would'nt waste your time. Again, I'll spare you the details but a simple cotton sock would probably be better for the long term moisture issues over the fire risk. The level of fire protection isn't that much better and would likely affect the breathability of moisture in your day to day storage.

The other item you noted is you live in an apartment building. If it is a large multi-family dwelling with a number of other units in the same building, there's a good chance it has a fire sprinkler system. I wouldn't live in an apartment without a sprinkler system. A fire "in" a sprinklered building typically is controlled by a single sprinkler head. Only the sprinkler exposed to the heat will activate so if you're on the top floor, you will only need to worry about water damage from a fire in your own unit.  Not as much to worry about from your perspective unless the fire starts with your neighbors above, then it will be water damage if the FD is slow to respond and start tarping your stuff. All that goes out the window if a fire starts on an outside deck and goes up into the attic -- not sure any safe would really protect your stuff in a total loss situation.

Be sure to get renters insurance -- it's cheap compared to trying to replace your stuff. Won't help with sentimental value but it's worth getting if you don't (about 10 years back I paid about $8-15/month for $35,000 in coverage).

Lastly -- nothing is ever fire proof.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
Damn, nice post Flash!  I might rethink my safe after that one.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline gideon4

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:53:53 AM »
Hello,
Yes, there is a fireproof gun case. It's called the Fire.pod. They come in several lengths for single guns and multiple guns. They say you can use them with anything, not just guns.
www.firepodsafe.com

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Offline Lawrence

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:04:38 AM »
Just to let you know, the fire.pod was shown on the Outdoor channel this week; the clip was shot while we participated in this years NRA show. Take a look: http://whatthestufftv.com/FirepodPlayer.htm

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]