collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which shotgun?  (Read 6482 times)

Offline firemechanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Which shotgun?
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
Remington 870 super magnum, turkey edition, or Mossberg model 835 turkey edition. Both are 12 guage, shoot 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 shells, camoed., fiber optic sights, changable choke tubes. The price for the Remington is a bit more. What do you guys think? Thanks, Anthony
Muzzleloader-Deer, Elk and Bear.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
Re: Which shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:48:15 AM »
that remington is 100 times better then a mossy. I have both, well I sold my mossy after it would not keep the slide closed after pulling the trigger. I liked the auto cocking feature......but it was pretty spooky on a pump gun.

the 870 is the pump gun all pump guns are compared to.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:22:22 AM »
Hey high country, my mossberg does the same thing...I thought it was supposed to do that...  :dunno:  Sort of unlocks after the shot to get you on your way to pumping a new round in...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »
the 870's have been rocking since like 1955. cant find anyone who doesnt like one. just bought one a couple of weeks ago.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
870 nuff said!

High Country.... the problem you're having w/ your 835 sounds like it may be similiar to the problem I've seen on mine and a buddy's.  They didn't put a strong enough spring in the slide release to force it to lock properly.  I ended up fixing (sorta) my buddy's and mine by pulling the tigger mechanism, cleaning the crap out of the slide release parts and slightly bending the spring.

I think the spring is so light that if anything at all gets in there it doesn't have enough poop to keep the bloody thing locked.

All that being said.... I have killed a boat load of turkeys w/ my 835.  I'm gonna shoot it till it falls apart and then buy and 870.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »
Between those two I would go with the Remington without hesitation.  But you might also consider the Benelli Nova as well.  I believe they are priced comparatively with the Remington 870 super magnum.  If price were no object I would look to the Benelli Super black eagle.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
Don't forget about the Browning BPS.  They're a good gun too, they load and eject from a single hole in the bottom like the Ithaca 37.  It's nice for hunting in thick stuff (corn fields in my case)- helps keep all the junk from getting in your action. 
The 870 is a really great gun as well.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »
IMO...If you are only using this for turkey, I would go for an autoloader.  Less recoil, faster follow-up shots, and quieter (pump actions sometimes rattle).  You will be happy with either of the two guns you mentioned if that is what you have it narrowed down to.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
I used to have an 870. Excellent gun. Will buy another one next year.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »
One thing I didn't mention before that I do give the nod to the 835 on is patterning.  Since it is overbored it seems so pattern better than other guns I've seen.  And not just at long range.  I've seen alot of guys trying to eak out another 5 yards on the far end and sacrifice a decent pattern in the wheel house (20 yards and in).  I've been able to shoot really nice patterns w/ 3 1/2 lead 6s out to 45 yards and still have open enough pattern at 10 yards that I have some margin of error.  80% of the birds I've killed have been within 25 yards.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 04:17:58 PM »
the guy at joes told me the 870 ex sup mag that i bought the other day was the last one in any of their stores.  the racks at sportsmans wherehouse only had 2 20 guages out of 2 racks of 870's (like 20 guns)...... just to say something about their popularity and the publics belief in their quality.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »
the guy at joes told me the 870 ex sup mag that i bought the other day was the last one in any of their stores.

they had one on the rack at the issaquah store last night.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »
870 is the best shotgun in the world.  I sold one that was only chambered up to 3 inch and fullchoke, for a Browning Gold.  Though a nice gun, I sure wish I had that 870.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 04:46:43 PM »
the guy at joes told me the 870 ex sup mag that i bought the other day was the last one in any of their stores.

they had one on the rack at the issaquah store last night.

yeah it was weird cuz the one i bought was in the stores log as a regular 870 express. if its a regular thing for them to mess up on them it just means that you cant have the joes order them from the other store without calling and asking them to look at it. it was on sale for $299.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »
870 is the best shotgun in the world.  I sold one that was only chambered up to 3 inch and fullchoke, for a Browning Gold.  Though a nice gun, I sure wish I had that 870.

i'll make you a sweet deal...i'll go buy an 870, then swap you out of that browning gold, what do you say?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1