collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 90$?????  (Read 2147 times)

Offline backwoods_boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
90$?????
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »
Is it really true 90$ to shoot some pheasants this year???????????
 :dunno: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:35:45 AM by sisu »

Offline Elliott

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: 90$?????
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:26:30 AM »
thats my understanding, that is if you want to hunt a release site, i think
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Offline alecvg

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
Thats what I hear, that is why I said screw it.   :bash:
I would rather be a conservative nut job, than a liberal with no nuts, and no job!

sisu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
Is it really true 90$ to shoot some pheasants this year???????????
 :dunno: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

75 bucks was last years fee I believe around the Spokane area, so that is a 15 dollar increase. I guess that can be expected with the prices of feed, fuel, man power, water, electricity etc.

Personally I'd rather not shoot anything on a game farm, but that is me. I had a piss poor year in Washington last year, that's why I'm not hunting pheasant here anymore. I'll hunt water fowl and jump shot water fowl in fields if possible and shoot the occasional pheasant if one happens to allow that to happen when water fowl hunting, but to decide that I'm going to wander all over creation in this state to find an occasional pheasant it ain't going to  happen.

I got my eyes opened last year as to what real pheasant hunting is like. I had fun and so did those who were with me. I'll stick with Montana, North Dakota and if I get invited South Dakota(got some people I know that go there every year as guests of some relative who has a spread there.)

Now back to the 90 dollar fee. If you figure in all my fuel, oil camping fees, occasional restaurant and motel maybe the 90 bucks is not so bad. Especially if you can't get time off of work to wander over God's creation like we do.

What ever you decide it will be fun. Just salt away some bucks for the season and be satisfied.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »
It costs a lot of money to raise birds.  One pair of pheasants eat about a bag of feed per month and a bag of feed is now $15.   Thats not counting any electricity, any labor, etc.  So feed alone is $180 or $90 per bird. 

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:18:59 AM »
That $90 fee is only  for the West side.  A small game license is all that is needed for the East side.  With my big game package that is stll only $17, but I agree with sisu, there isn't much opportunity anywhere in Wa anymore.

Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
Funny you mention that Bone. As you and Old Dog know feed is not cheap :bash:, and materials for pens is not cheap :bash:, electricity is not cheap :bash:, time is not cheap yet anyone who cantacts me for birds wants them cheap >:(! I thought $90 was ridiculous...then I thought about what it costs me to raise mine and if I go the weekends I am home it really is cheap. I did raise an extra 70 ringnecks this year for me as I knew I have a young dog and two young hunters that need the practice. Food is a killer anymore and I will not do this again unless I have another dog. Next year I will be the guy looking for some guy to put 5-6 months of food into a pheasant so I can offer him $6 a bird and tell him "that is what I usually pay"  :chuckle:.

On a serious note if someone has a good chunk of property that pheasants will survive on I would gladly do my training there and whatever the kids miss will be added to the local population. Otherwise they will be fed to the coyotes on the release sites over here.

Offline Thwack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
Gotta pay to play!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal