collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Horrible year guiding in Peaches!  (Read 19153 times)

Offline flashover52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Horrible year guiding in Peaches!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
I'm all for a bowhunter ed class and proving my shots ---  just as soon as the modern and ML folks take aim and get approved to shoot too.

I've watched two individuals miss an elk with modern rifles at 50 yards in the wide open and less than 30 yards in some brushy area a day apart. How many people take their rifles to "sight in day" at the range two weeks before the season opens......  Folks shooting rifles can't really say it's "just" an archery issue.

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
Consider this... the testing is a one time deal. We all have hunter safety education cards right and most of got them when we were 10 to 12 yrs old. Who checks us when we are rifle hunting for our abilities? The test may weed someout but mostly likely not. I bet in the long run the test would only apply to new hunters,

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
I've watched two individuals miss an elk with modern rifles at 50 yards in the wide open and less than 30 yards in some brushy area a day apart. How many people take their rifles to "sight in day" at the range two weeks before the season opens......  Folks shooting rifles can't really say it's "just" an archery issue.

This means nothing.

I sat next to my daughter who had buck fever so bad she missed a buck 3 times with in 80 yards. The barrel awas shaking so bad it was unbelieveable. My wife then droped it with a single shot.
Two days later she droped a doe with a single shot at 350 yards.

Each situation varys from time to time, even with the best hunters.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline norsepeak

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the support guys, it is a terrible part of bowhunting for sure, but I felt like if on good years, I can bore you guys with pics of guys smiling and holding bulls, I thought I should be honest and tell you all about the "truth" of our season this year.  Believe me it doesn't sadden anyone on this forum more than me that this has happened, but it's part of hunting.  I agree on the bowhunter test, I think it's a good idea.  We haven't had a problem like this in the past, so we didn't have these guys shoot there bows so we could see them, but they did shoot periodically during the week we hunted with them.  My personal feeling is part of the problem is that everyone is so obsessed with speed that they sacrifice kinetic energy and penetration.   I was surprised that the bull my client shot, he hit behind the shoulder and the arrow did not pass through.  I shoot very heavy arrows with lots of Kinetic Energy and have had arrows hit ribs on both sides at 41 yards and go through the elk so fast that I never found them.  With two gaping holes, bloods trails get real easy.

We have talked about changing our policies for bowhunters next year to help avoid this terrible issue again.  Sorry some of you are upset about hearing these stories, but I'm just being honest....it happens.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
I guess we should do it for muzzleloader hunters as well. Found out that a west side permit holder from last year shot and wounded 4 bulls!!! The last one he wounded was found dead 2 days later, the Game warden made him tag it.....
I know it seems we have been hearing about this alot this year, but it happens every year, with all weapons, yes even rifle! Guys go buy a box of Core-lokts and head for deer camp, havn't shot their rifle since last Oct.
Know yourself first!!! Then know your game!!!! Losing an animal sucks and is the worst feeling.........but you only feel that if you respect them. If you don't give a damn about them then fling away!!!!!!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 09:03:33 PM »
Don't have to appogize man, if you're the guide that took the father son team out I'm referring too, you're a bull callin/huntin SOB!! You did your part, your clients didn't....
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline JoeVon

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
No apologies needed Norse, you did your part!

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »

This means nothing.

I sat next to my daughter who had buck fever so bad she missed a buck 3 times with in 80 yards. The barrel awas shaking so bad it was unbelieveable. My wife then droped it with a single shot.
Two days later she droped a doe with a single shot at 350 yards.

Each situation varys from time to time, even with the best hunters.

You're exactly right! I missed a 22''-24'' 2 point blacktail, with 3'' eyeguards, 4 times at 30 yards with a 300 mag that was stupid accurate. And I've killed a few critters.
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
Hey Norse, Don't apologize for bringing up a discusion that can be ugly but should be talked about.
 There are a few states that require bowhunter education and I don't think its a bad idea.

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
My first thought was the multiseason tags. How many jokers pick up a bow just b/c they now get more time to hunt?

Actually I HAVE a Multi Season tag...but WONT hunt Archery JUST BECAUSE I KNOW I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO HIT RELIABLY...

Now with my T/C Hawken or my Winchester 70 in 30-06...If I see it in range..its DEAD.  I do NOT have confidence in what small archery skills I have...I'm still having trouble killing apples and pumpkins at anything like distance.  Pie plates are dead out to about 35 yards...but aim small miss small...at least that is the theory...aim at the whole critter..liable to miss it.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »
I can relate to what you guys are talking about new bowhunters not doing there part, a buddy of mine decided he was going to switch to archery this year for deer and elk, he never picked up a bow in his life until he bought one in April of this year, I probably would not be to far off if I said he shot that bow only 15-20 times since he bought it, just barely enough to get it sighted in and get use to it, he can hardly hit a pie plate 5 out of 10 times at 40yds but feels he good out to 60yds  :bash: he never bought broadheads until 5 days before season, I asked how they were shooting, he said oh their dropping 3" but good left to right  "I'll just remember to compensate"  :yike:.

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
This is a good discussion, just may get a little heated.

What type of policy are you talking about putting in place? Just curious.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
whoowee actionshooter, now guys with multiseason tags are jokers? guess i was one of them cause i drew a permit and hunted archery. gettin deep in here, boy ive never heard of an expeirenced archer wounding anything "sarcasim".

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:02 PM »
This is a good discussion, just may get a little heated.

What type of policy are you talking about putting in place? Just curious.

Umm, an apprenticeship program with Boneaddict, killing 3 bucks, a bull, and a coyote with 1 arrow. grin...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline norsepeak

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
were talking about making a 3-D range (approx. 5 animals) that they have to shoot BEFORE they can hunt.  Just an idea right now, but we need to do something.  Not only is it bad for business, but it just plain sucks to lose an animal and we want to try to avoid it happening again as much as we can.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal