collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you think  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Alaska316

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
What do you think
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »
Hey, I am new to the site. What a great place to talk hunting. My question for you Muzzleloaders is. What should I get? I have 300-400$ to spend on a gun. I will be hunting deer and elk with this gun. I really like the Traditional guns. I am new to this, so new that I have never shot one before. I think if I get one now, I'll be ready to hunt Muzzleloader next year.

Thanks, Alaska316 

Offline Wahoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
Re: What do you think
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:56:33 PM »
I am an absolute T/C fan. I have a Hawken and a Black Diamond and love them both. Both have been shot a lot and besides a stiff trigger originally with the Hawken they both have performed flawless. I sent the Hawken back to T/C to repair the trigger and they completely replaced the trigger for free. Since they quit making the Black Diamond I not sure what in line they have that is legal in this state but you could pick up a new Hawken or a used B/D within your price range. 

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »
I use a 50cal blackdiamond also great gun....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
The other day I was at the old Sportsmans Warehouse in Lacey and they had a T/C "Northwest Edition." Looked like a nice gun. It's a new model. But if you like traditional, maybe check out Lyman. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is supposed to be really good. Or get the one I've got, the Lyman Deerstalker. Mine is stainless and a short barrel so not as "traditional" as the Great Plains, but close.

Offline MagKarl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
I shoot a Lyman GPR.  If you read on any of the traditional ML sites, it's pretty much the most recommended for a traditional styled modern production gun.  Best price online is usually Midsouth Shooters Supply.  Mine was a kit, tons of fun putting it together.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
I have a .54 cal Lyman Trade rifle and love it. Also have a .50 cal CVA Hawken that I built out of a kit

Offline Alaska316

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:27:34 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Sure is nice to find a site where people are willing to help.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
i shoot a black diamond xr and a cva elk horn 209"with the musket cap converstions" this gun is like 300 for camo and 280 for black at wholesale sports has the nipples and breach plug for you to shoot 11 or musket caps it is a great gun for the money and shoots just as good as my tc xr you might give it a look
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline MagKarl

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
Where do you live AK316?  If you want to fondle and shoot my GPR sometime I'd be happy to give you some time at the range.  One thing you might want to research and consider is what kind of projectile you want to shoot, as you'll want a rifle with the appropriate twist rate.  1:48 is kind of the cross over point, slower than that for balls, faster for bullets.  How traditional you want to be with your choice of projectile, ignition, powder, sights, etc. will narrow down what type of rifle is going to fit your needs.   

Offline engelwood

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
I shoot the T/C Black Diamond XR, Stainless with camo stock. Haven't had any problems with it at all, overall a great shooting gun. I shoot it with the musket caps, more fire =  :mgun: I also recommend the CVA rifle that carpsniper recommended (I hunt with him and that is a great looking/shooting gun). With $300 - $400 to spend you can pretty much get any MZ that is legal in WA. Good luck.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »
.54 Lyman GPR will get you there.  Just starting with one.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline gadwall

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
I have had good luck with a 50 cal Hawken made by Traditions that I built from a kit 20 years ago and a 50 cal CVA Buckhorn Pro inline (~$225.00) that I have been shooting for 4 seasons now.  If you go with an inline, my best luck has been with musket caps instead if #11's.

Gadwall
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook
Time in the outdoors is a privilege to be shared with our families and friends

Offline KillerMiller

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
50 Cal  T/C Black Diamond XR. :twocents:

Offline Tman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
 :yeah:   Hasn't failed me yet.

Offline CAM38

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 10:31:09 AM »
I started muzzleloading with a T/C Black Diamond .50 cal.  excellent gun, very accurate, always goes off, probably the best for washington in my opinion.  however, the stock, grip especially is very thick, hard for me to get a good grip on, (5' 8", 175lbs.), so I sold it to my buddy (6'0 185 lbs.) and his hands are big enough that it fits him perfectly.  I now have a Knight Bighorn .50 cal.  Stock is alot thinner, fits me perfectly and comfortably, also very accurate and dependable.  I shoot 100 grains of 777 powder with a 348 grain jacketed and poly tipped powerbelt.  RWS musket caps, however I am thinking of going with #11 caps for late season so I can put a piece of surgical tubing around the cap to seal it.  Both guns come with excellent fiber optic sights, T/C's are easier to see and a little nicer.  Hope this helps.

Offline logan

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
I shoot a knight bighorn. they are accurate, and easy to take appart, especially in the field if you have to.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal