collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: coyote tips?  (Read 6420 times)

Offline littletoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • old fart
Re: coyote tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 05:46:32 PM »
HighCountry-Never thought of the fishing pole trick, might just work too, but dang you'd have to reel FAST! Feathers on a stick work too. I've got one partner that has one of the electronic decoy's too.

No expert here, for dang sure! Good Luck, but be sure to let us know when you connect!

"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
and make sure you take pictures. nothing like a pic of a dead animal to get you to hate your desk job even more.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline bowman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
I will let you guys know if I get one.  I wont be able to go out for awhile because of school and wrestling.  I'm sure I will get out there sometime next week hopefully.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
For your situation, I would try this.

Try to spot the coyotes before you try calling them in.  Getting them to come into bow range will be extremely difficult with the terrain you are describing.  If you spot one, or if you can't spot one but have a good idea on the direction they will be coming from, try this set up.  Designate one person to be the caller and one the shooter.  Since you have already spooked them they will almost certainly be more cautious and will try to circle downwind of you.  Have the shooter about 30 yards to the downwind side of the caller, if you have a very slight breeze.  If you have anything stronger than a breeze try to stretch this distance to about 50 yards.  When the coyote has commited to coming close to the caller, stop calling.  You want the coyote to be searching for you, not barreling in to eat.  If they check up, give them some coaxing with a lip squeek or the little coaxer calls you can buy.  When the coyote is in bow range, don't try to draw unless their attention is diverted from you.  Once at full draw and ready to shoot, the caller can give a bark or whistle to get the coyote to stop for the shooter.  If you have access to a decoy set that 20 yards upwind of the shooter. 

If you have a decoy and remote caller you can set those 30 yards upwind of you and sit together and wait.

That is how I would approach it.  Stick with simple distress calls: bird, rabbit, rodent.

Good luck and have fun.

Edit:  I think they are eating corn and mice.  Don't worry about matching their food source with a certain type of call.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:10:31 PM by tlbradford »
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline bowman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »
Thanks, tlbradford I like the sounds of that.  My friend and I will give that a shot except we will both have bows with us.  That if it comes downwind were good to go.   :archer:

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »
Id try a ground blind...a popup or a stack of logs ect.

If ya can...and no one will take it... leave the blind up 2-3 days in place without hunting it..so the dogs get used to it.

if ya dont have the gear already..ie electric caller and remote decoy then buy a 20 dollar pred call from bearmanric and tie a white feather to an arrow shaft about 12-18" off the ground. Unlikely ur gonna be able to draw on even one yote at 30-40 yards without a decoy to distract him...

good luck

oh, and if ya ever wanna work on ur wrestling with a new partner...I did it for 12 years, was a ast High School coach for 2 years, and Ive been doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about 3 years... Im in Lacey.

must be regionals or state by now??

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal