collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth Elk Hunt Mudflow  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Buckrub

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Youth Elk Hunt Mudflow
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »
Scouting during the summer months was great and had some quality time with my 14 yo son. We had scouted this area enough to know exactly where we wanted to be opening morning. While driving to our spot we spot the bull, still a bit before shooting hours and fog was rolling in and out, bull is 400 yards away and we are parked in the middle of a side road preparing for a shot.

All is looking good, shooting hours are minutes away and he is in shooting distance......until the big red ford comes screaming down the road through the ditch to get around us and spooks the bull.  :bash: and come to find out the guy has five rigs running around like madmen trying to locate an elk for their youth hunter??
I try to explain to my son that some hunters just don't care or respect other hunters. Why do I have to explain this to a youth hunter? What is the guy teaching his children? 

I am proud to say my son passed on a raghorn in hopes of a better bull but it didn't happen.

I am teaching respect for the land, respect for the animals and respect for other hunters.

I hope Mr. Red Ford is on this board and reads this post. I can only wonder how he explains or justifies his actions to his children.

All in all mother nature had a hand in not filling a tag but bow season is around the corner and he will fill his tag.
Swamp buck Hunter

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
Re: Youth Elk Hunt Mudflow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »
I'm not sure what the unit is like but If you're teaching someone to be ethical and respectful then this part of your story doesn't make sense to me..."we are parked in the middle of a side road preparing for a shot."

I could be all wrong here and correct me If I am, but were you planning on shooting from the vehicle? or road?

Offline Buckrub

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
The unit is very steep and no way would I allow shooting from a vehicle... the road is just a bit better than a skidder trail off the main line.
Swamp buck Hunter

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
I hunted it with a budy this year and he killed a nice 7x6. Some of them roads arent even wide enough to pull over. Sounds like they guy was a jerk and could have stopped and asked if he could go around .

Offline Buckrub

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure what the unit is like but If you're teaching someone to be ethical and respectful then this part of your story doesn't make sense to me..."we are parked in the middle of a side road preparing for a shot."

I could be all wrong here and correct me If I am, but were you planning on shooting from the vehicle? or road?

Would you drive through the ditch to go around someone?

you would have to be there... Mr. Red ford knows what he did and I hope he is on this board.

Swamp buck Hunter

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »

Would you drive through the ditch to go around someone?

you would have to be there... Mr. Red ford knows what he did and I hope he is on this board.

depends.... if you were a main road...probably

if you were set up to shoot from the road... probably

If I thought you were doing nothing wrong and would let me around (which is what it sounds like) then no, I'd wait.

I've run into a lot of guys that I've had to drive around while they were leaning across the hood getting ready to shoot. I know the kind of guy "mr Red Ford" is and I don't like them either.

Offline fishcrazy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »
Wish I knew you had the youth tag. I am the guy Bucklucky mentioned. I would love to have helped a kid get a good bull. I scouted all summer as well. Most of my scouting was away from the roads.

I don't even drive around guys stopped on a main line. I don't care if they are across the hood. I always stop untill they signal me around or I turn around and leave. Who am I to ruin sombodys hunt? >:(

Good for you teaching the kid the right way to be in the woods. Sometimes it's good for them and us to see what it's like when others are not ethical hunters as well.

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal