collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canning Chanterelles  (Read 22245 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Canning Chanterelles
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »

I tried canning some Chanterelles the other day and so far the results are pretty good.
I could not find a lot of info online but I did get a couple tips and ideas from Iceman and Ouchfoss.

First I want to mention that unless you know what you are doing don’t just eat any wild mushroom and if you haven’t tried a species before, only eat a small amount until you know you will not have a negative reaction. Follow the below instructions at your own risk.

I air dried the mushrooms under a fan and then cut them into bite sized pieces. Then I dry sautéed them. To dry sauté, heat a pan to med/high and put enough mushrooms to fill the bottom. Then add salt to pull out the moisture. Stir and cook until the moisture is cooked off. If there is a lot of moisture I will pour it out then continue cooking.

I then filled two pint jars with the sautéed mushrooms.
I added ½ cup of hot tap water to one of the pints and no liquid in the other.

I then filled two pint jars with raw mushroom pieces.
I added ½ cup hot tap water to one of these pints as well and again, no liquid in the other.

I them pressure canned them at ten pounds of pressure for 25 minutes.
It was interesting to see the volume of liquid in each jar, even in the ones that did not get tap water.

Today I opened up two jars. The first was raw mushrooms with no liquid. I ate one out of the jar and it tasted like a boiled mushroom. Tasted awful so I tossed them. Next time I do some this way I will try sautéing them. Maybe they will taste better.

The second jar I opened was the dry sautéed with no tap water added. Right out of the jar they were fine. I then emptied the jar into a saucepan and heated them on low until my steaks were ready. I ate most of them this evening and will finish off the rest tomorrow.

I wish I had more mushrooms to run more tests to find out which way I like them the most but I know I will be doing more of the sauté / canning without liquid.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: Canning Chanterelles
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:53:51 AM »
Great write up.

How in the heck am I going to compete with cool graphics like that!

I may give this a try too, will have to see how many shrooms I get in the next month..... I am running out of freezer space bad, and if I dump my elk, it is a trip to Sears for another chest freezer...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:03:08 AM »
Ha ha..

I had some time to work on the formating while it was getting up to pressure.

Offline dogtuk

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Salmonclubber
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:06:29 AM »
here is the method that i use

To can chanterelles, clean them thouroughly and cut them in big chunks and steam for 20 minutes. Place the pieces in small canning jars and cover them with the liquid from the steaming vessel or boiling water to make up the difference. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar. Finally, sterilize them for 40 minutes in a pressure cooker at 10 pounds pressure.

here is the other methods listed for preserving them

Freeze chanterelles after sautéing with butter and onions. When defrosted, they will retain most of their flavor.

Dried chanterelles lose flavor and the texture of the slices becomes rubbery. A chef recently suggested that dried chanterelles reconstituted in water overnight retain more flavor if the soaking water is included when they are cooked.
Chanterelles can be pickled with various spices and flavorings in vinegar, oil, soy sauce, etc.. They will keep for a week in the refrigerator.

happyness is a full smoker

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the variation dogtuk. How is the texture with the steamed method of cooking?

Here is the method that Iceman found online and sent me. I used this as an outline for my process.

To can mushrooms, soak them in lightly salted ice water for 10 minutes. This not only helps clean them, but rinses out any hidden insects. Trim the dirty and tough parts of the stems, then rinse in cold water. You may leave small ones whole and cut large ones into convenient pieces. Boil three minutes in water. Pack into hot jars. Add a tsp. of salt to each quart or 1/2 tsp. to each pint, if desired. Fill to within 1/2 inch of top of jar with water mushrooms were boiled in. Put hot, previously simmered lid on jar and tighten down ring firmly tight. Process in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure (unless you live at an altitude above 1,000 feet and must adjust your pressure to suit your altitude, if necessary; consult your canning manual for instructions) for 25 minutes for pints and 35 minutes for quarts.
—Jackie
http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/ajo061227.html

Offline dogtuk

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Salmonclubber
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
here is a pic of the ones i did last night

happyness is a full smoker

Offline WCTaxidermy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:49:49 PM »
Man, my mouth is watering after reading this post.  Where do you pick these at and when is picking season over on these?  I should walk my acreage to see if I can find any unless it's too late.  Thanks John

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:11 AM »
I am not sure if they grow on the eastside or not. But on the westside I can usually find some from mid July until late November.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:43:02 AM by billythekidrock »

Offline WCTaxidermy

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply billythekidrock.  I will have to do some research on that.  Man do they look good.  John

Offline Grumpymarien

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:03:25 PM »
I have wanted to can some Chanterelles for a long time :dunno: but have not found a great recipe for them I have tried them many years ago but lost contact with the person that canned them :bash:. for now I just saute them in butter and fresh Garlic. then freeze them :tup: :drool:for the winter and spring. I just put up 12lbs. and will do more shortly. :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
Updated canning recipe.

Our Presto canning book has the following recipe.
MUSHROOMS
 Trim stems and discolored parts of mushrooms. Soak mushrooms in cold water for 10 minutes to remove soil. Wash in clean water. Leave small mushrooms whole; cut larger ones in halves or quarters. Cover with water in a saucepan and boil 5 minutes. Pack hot mushrooms in clean, hot Mason jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. For better color, add 1/8 teaspoon of ascorbic acid per pint. Cover with boiling water, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust jar lids.

Dial Gauge Canner—Process at 11 pounds pressure - Half-pints and Pints 45 minutes. For processing above 2,000 feet altitude, see chart for recommended pounds of pressure.

Weighted Gauge Canner—Process at 10 pounds pressure - Half-pints and Pints 45 minutes. For processing above 1,000 feet altitude, see chart for recommended pounds of pressure.
=============

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:28 AM »
Anybody conducted any further research and/or recipe development on this front since this thread was alive?

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
Did a search for canning Chanterelles, and this is the only one I found.  Anyone have any other variations? 
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 07:26:52 AM »
I recently did a video on how I do my chantrelles.

t=42s
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »
Billythekidrock, was one of the originals back in 2007. He had a ton of good information to share. Especially about Mushrooms and Black bear hunting.
To bad he has not been around since 2016.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU