collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: eastern wash. deer herds.  (Read 11680 times)

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
eastern wash. deer herds.
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
Anybody out there have any news on how the deer did this winter?
jim
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: eastern wash. deer herds.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »
What deer, there aren't very many of them out there. ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:03:21 PM by boneaddict »

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
My bad.

Offline Idabooner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »
My field is full of deer nearly every afternoon through the evening, they are very very poor, skinnier than I can remember seeing before. The long crusted snow, winter about did them in, the predators are all fat though. some nubbins showing, tonight I seen a very scrawny buck with 5" nubs.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
I hope they are doing ok, we are overdue for a big winterkill though.

Offline TheScottRanch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »
When the winter is tough on em we help em out.. These pics and movies are all out of the kitchen window. looks to be a good yr coming  ;)
Fat boys

This movie below gives ya a better idea

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s22.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/stevescott/NewYrsBucks.flv"></embed>
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 06:59:41 AM by TheScottRanch »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »
there's a little blurb in the front of fishing and hunting news about deer lice spreading and causing possible bad winter kill...anybody got anymore dirt on this??
the article doesn't say much.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
When the winter is tough on em we help em out.. These pics and movies are all out of the kitchen window. looks to be a good yr coming  ;)
Fat boys
This movie below gives ya a better idea

Nice work on fattening up the game! I like the way you think.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
Our friends at WDFW are scared too death about this issue and there isn't one thing they can do to stop it.  This will decimate the Chelan and Okanogan deer herds over the next few years just like it has in Yakima.  Thanks who ever imported the axis deer that the lice came with.......
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:11:49 PM »
I tried a couple weeks ago to dig up some info on hair loss in mule deer in eastern Washington, but there's just not much to be found. I did find this:

Mule Deer Hair loss in Yakima: Dr. Briggs Hall and Region 3 staff visited a landowner who reported hair loss in the mule deer for which he was providing winter feed. Staff immobilized a subject with mild hair loss and collected lice and sent samples in to Dr. Jim Mertins at the National Veterinary Services Laboratory. Dr. Mertins has identified the lice as Bovicola tibialis, another exotic louse species separate from the exotic louse Bovicola cervicola, which is causing hair loss in the black tailed deer. Bovicola tibialis is the common louse of fallow deer. B. tibialis has been identified in North America on only four previous occasions. The locations were California and British Columbia. Per Dr. Mertins, B. tibialis is a parthenogenic species (no male required for reproduction) and as such can spread more efficiently. The other louse samples sent were all from black tailed deer suffering from hair loss and were identified as B. cervicola.

And from a October 2006 article out of the Seattle PI:

There are areas of concern, however. The hair loss syndrome that has afflicted blacktailed deer populations in Western Washington for several years, caused by an exotic lice, appears to have jumped to mule deer herds in some regions east of the Cascades. In the Puget Sound region, deer populations are still being limited by development pushing out into the foothills, and by reduced timber operations on national forest lands higher up.
Also, the hair loss syndrome, which seems to have stabilized in Western Washington, may have resulted in higher than usual winter losses of mule deer in Yakima County.

From the WDFW site, but it's over 2 years old:

Wildlife Health Issues in Washington State
By Briggs Hall DVM, and Kristin Mansfield DVM

Black-tailed deer hair loss syndrome
A definitive diagnosis as to the underlying cause of the hair loss syndrome in black-tailed deer may be near. Dr. James Mertins, an entomologist with the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, has identified the lice which are causing west side black-tailed deer to rub, chew, and lick their hair out, as Damalina cervicola, an exotic (non-native) species.

Early on it was evident that hair loss deer were suffering from an intense dermatitis caused by large numbers of biting lice. Previously parasitologists identified the lice as Damalina bovicola, the common and native deer louse. Whereas lice are not uncommon on black- tailed deer, it is believed that louse numbers only increase to harmful levels when the deer’s immune system becomes stressed by nutritional deficiencies, debilitating disease processes, or heavy internal parasite loads. Our attempt to identify this unknown stressor has been the focus of our research.

Damalina cervicola is a louse historically found on old world ungulate hosts. According to Dr. Mertins, D. cervicola was first recognized in southeastern United States fourteen years ago. D. cervicola may have entered Washington in conjunction with the influx of large numbers of exotic deer in the 1980’s. According to biologists, a new parasitic species will be much more damaging to a host than a similar parasite with which the host has been associated for centuries.

We are continuing to submit lice collected from hair loss deer residing in various locations around western Washington. If we continue to extract the exotic louse (D. cervicola) from the deer suffering from hair loss syndrome, we may soon be able to say with confidence that the exotic louse is the cause of the black-tailed deer hair loss syndrome.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:18:53 PM by bobcat »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:45 AM »
I was reading the 2006 Game Status & Trend Report (http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/status/index.htm) and on pages 39 to 41 there is some information about hair loss in mule deer. It's affecting PMU 32 and PMU 33 so far, but they expect it to spread into other areas. PMU 32 & 33 would be Naneum, Quilomene, Ellensburg, Teanaway, Taneum, Manastash, Umtanum, and Little Naches. Looks like I'll be hunting somewhere other than Teanaway where I normally hunt.

Here is some of it:

The expansion of an exotic louse Bovicola tibialis, which was first documented in the area in 2005, may be one factor in the population decline. Deer with signs of hair loss were observed in 2004 and observations have increased dramatically since then. Bovicola tibialis is separate from the exotic louse Bovicola cervicola, which has caused hair loss in the black tailed deer in western Washington and Oregon. PMU’s 32 and 33 have been the hardest hit, but deer with clinical signs have been seen in PMU 35 and the lice are likely spreading into PMU’s 34 and 36.

And some more:

Management conclusions
It is unknown how the lice will affect deer long-term, but the short-term outlook is bleak. It appears that populations have declined 50% in areas impacted by lice. The lice are spreading and a population decline in PMU 36 is expected. PMU 34 is more separated from infected populations, especially the southern end, and hopefully won’t be affected in the near future. Management of PMU’s 32, 33, 35 and 36 will be difficult if the impacts of lice and hair loss persist. One option is to provide hunting opportunity now and harvest antlerless deer at a high rate before they die during winter. This option may help slow the spread of lice. A second option would be to be very conservative with antlerless harvest in hopes that surviving deer might have some natural immunity and population will recover quickly. More discussions are needed with people knowledgeable about lice and deer before a management direction is chosen.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:45:51 PM »
bobcat thanks for posting the info.Ive been courious about how that has been going.
jim

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
That is not good news at all.  Between this and the bad winter that we are overdue for one of these years I think we are going to be going back to some limited opps. in the near future.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »
And to add to the bad news, I've been very surprised to see the amounts of deer ticks that I have been seeing on horses, dogs, cats, and ME!

Perhaps unrelated to the lice, but it makes me wonder about the cycles that exist. Last winter seemed like a normal winter, but we didn't have the usual double digit below zero's like is so common in this area, and the ticks are BAD this year....

We shall see...Southern Stevens Co. along with Northern Spokane Co. may have some bad EZH (I can't spell it, so I hope the initials are correct) this year, but doe survival rates seem high so far.
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:23:47 PM »
It's EHD (Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]