collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to bone-out a deer tutorial with pictures  (Read 221383 times)

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How to bone-out a deer tutorial with pictures
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »
How to bone-out a deer tutorial

I’m going to do this in several posts so hang on with any replies till I say I’m done so it doesn’t get broken up. I’ll be using a deer I just harvested as the volunteer for this.

I hope you have a knife with a gut hook. If not, then get one. They are great tools.
This bone-out method works on any deer-like animal.

First of all, don’t gut it out. There is no need to and you will see why in this explanation.

1. With the animal on its side, use your gut hook to zip all the way from the rectum up the neck and then up the inside of each leg. If you are saving the cape, then cape it first. Now skin it from the belly to the back bone on one side and skin the upper two legs down to the knees.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
Re: How to bone-out a deer tutorial with pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:01:17 AM »
2. Once the first side is skinned, take off the front leg. It is easy and you really can’t mess it up (takes only a few seconds). Once you have the front leg off, go to the hind leg. This gets tricky because the back leg holds the best cuts of meat except for the back strap and tender loin.

Before cutting the hind leg off, identify the hip bone (I’m pointing to it in a picture).
Cut around it. On the forward side of the bone, the back strap (loin) starts. On the rear side of it, the roasts from the back leg start. Many hunters who don’t know how to properly cut this out end up hacking apart the roasts on the hind leg. In my humble opinion, the rump roast is the best but it gets hacked apart the most by beginners.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »
3. Once you have identified and cut around the protruding hip bone, you will then begin to cut the hind leg off. To do this, stay close to the bone all the way around while leaving the meat on the leg. Cut down the spine on the back side. Cut as close to the bone on the inside as you can and be aware that there is a socket to cut through on the inside of the leg. The socket has a ligament in the middle that you will need to cut. (Note: the front leg has no socket like this.) If you keep to the bone all the way around, you will have the rear leg in one piece without any roasts destroyed. Set the leg aside and I will show you a trick to boning it out in a bit.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:38 AM »
4. Now cut the back strap out. Do the same as the hind leg and stay next to the spine while you whittle it out. The strap will go up to and connect to the neck meat. Take it all together and it will be easy to separate later.
Cut off all the rib meat and belly meat and put it in the hamburger pile. There is no wrong way to do it since it will be mostly used in the burger pile. I even take the stomach diaphragm muscle on the animal. It is good meat as long as it wasn’t shot in that area and it is easily accessible.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »
5. Once you have the legs off, the rib meat off, and the back strap off, it will be very easy to get to the yummy tender loin. Reach in and carefully cut it out on that side.

Now turn the animal over at this point and repeat the process for the other side

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »
6. Next, go to the ribs and separate them somewhere in the middle and reach in and locate the heart. (On a bigger animal, just kick the ribs to loosen them apart.) The heart is in a thin membrane sack that you will need to cut open first. Once out of this membrane, pull it up far enough to cut it loose and pull it out. Don’t be squeamish on this. The heart is good meat and if you don’t want it to eat as sandwich meat, then cut it up and put it in the hamburger pile. If you use it as sandwich meat, boil it up with spices and a couple bay leaves. I promise it to be the finest lunch meat you can put on bread and I’m not joking.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
7. As far as the front leg: there is no wrong way to de-boning it. Just get the meat off and into the hamburger pile. I don’t really like de-boning a front leg. It is more tedious.

8. The hind leg: this is really neat and you will like this. Lay the leg down with the inside facing up. Now identify the knee and the joint. Imagine a line between them and then cut to the bone (the bone follows this line). Cut around the bone while leaving the roasts all intact together. The hock on the lower part of the leg can come off later. When you get all the roasts off the leg, they will be conveniently attached to each other. Put it in a game bag (I use pillow cases) and pack it out of the woods all intact like this.
Later, when you are ready to cut it up, lay it down and you can separate all the roasts from each other easily. You may not be able to tell the difference between the rump roast and the round roast, or the sirloin, but it doesn’t matter. As long as you cut it off the bone correctly, you can separate them and cut them up as roasts or steaks later. If you use a butcher to process the meat, they will know exactly what they have. The roasts separate naturally and easily from the inside.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »
Tip: if you freeze them as a whole roast, you can later cut them into steaks. You cannot reverse this if you cut them up as steaks first so package them as roasts and you will have the option to turn them into steaks later if you wish. I only use the back strap as steaks. I use the roasts in a corned meat recipe. Another tip: get a Jaccard meat tenderizer for the steaks. Those things are worth their weight in gold!

9. Now look at this next picture and I want you to notice that I didn’t have to gut it out. You won’t either when you do it this way. Gutting it out isn’t necessary. Isn’t that cool?

Total time from start to totally boned-out – 1 hour and 4 minutes on this deer. This method will save you a lot of time if you utilize it.
Alright, I admit, I have butchered over a thousand big game animals but anyone can get the hang of this real quick.

OK, last post on this. What do you think? Any questions?

Good hunting - Axle

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
good write up.

couldn't you have blurred out the gore parts?? lol just kidding

sweet deal.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »
that is some great info and great pictures. i am sure someone will get some use out of it
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 01:34:41 AM »
Thanks for posting that was great. I do the same thing except I gut them first. Just my preference!!!! :)

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 03:52:54 AM »
Thanks for posting the step by step, will have to give it a try.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 06:20:13 AM »
Thanks.Great tutorial. Will try on my next hunt this month.

Offline wamuledeer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »
That is pretty much how I did it in the field this year on my deer except I also gutted it first. At the time I was debating on just cutting it in half and taking it out in two trips or boning it out and taking it it one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:20:32 AM by wamuledeer »

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:42:10 AM »
No complaints from me. It could have used a few pictures a little farther away though. If a person didn't know what they were looking at some of the photos just look like a mess of red goo. Great write up and I'm sure it will help somebody out. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU