collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The haunting!  (Read 3722 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
The haunting!
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »
Things that haunt you forever.  Shots that just didn't turn out right...It seems I have more than I'd ever wish to have.  How about beating a monster bull, and have him 10 yards from you while you sit there trembling with excitement.  Low light in dark timber, but you are sure you got a good picture.  the snap of the shutter sent him wreeling.  The season was on, and Idabooner was on a distant ridge Muzzelloading.  I was camping with him and hunting with the camera.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
Re: The haunting!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
Looks like that could of been one hell of a picture! :chuckle:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
The moment was incredible.  I was sitting in my truck and was waiting for it to get light a bit, and I heard something.   I rolled down my window and there was a big bugle right there.  THere were three bulls scremaing right there.  I stepped out and one had a harem and headed up the hill.  The other went down the hill.  The other disappeared.  I went after the harem bull, but he was going too fast.  I started after the other guy and he went silent on me.  I pushed very hard and ended up in his bedroom.  He had enough, I had stepped over the line, so here he come.  He circled me while I sat in the open, not moving.  I knew I would get one pic.  I wated and when he cleared the giant downed log. Snap.  His antelrs were huge and dark.  WHAT AN animal.  I was hoping to share.  Thanks god for photgraphic memeories I guess.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:28:30 PM »
Damn!
Sorry Bone, but I know how you feel! That elk looks big, and it'd take me a long time to get rid of that picture for being  blury, if I ever would..

"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »

Nice! Stories like that are what build memories & are with us forever, I consider that a very successful shot & hunt!! (grin)

I've  got one too that Haunts me more than any other elk I've missed or had a close encounter with. We were hunting some very steep country it was in a heavily timbered north/south facing draw, the side were as steep as the Breaks! We heard a bull bugling well in front of us & could tell he was a respectable herd bull for sure, he responded to us several times letting us know his position but could tell he'd move away at the slightest approach. My son had already taken a bull so it was my turn with a bow of course! (grin) We were a couple miles in & it was still very early. We decided to tackle this bull with a Call & Stalk approach, my son calling just enough so I could keep track of the bull  as the shooter & my son hanging back to several hundred yards at the closest at all times. The bull & harem were steadily moving on their own to bedding.

As they did this it took them up the east face which was extremely steep, I followed with no calling of my own for close to 35 min straight up, I had not seen anything yet but could tell I was closing. I was just under a rocky faced bench & I heard the bull bugle up on it not more that 50-60yds I eased up with just my head peeking around this huge rock ever so slowly, not 6 yds in front of me was a nice big spike with a solid 20"-24" tall spikes. I froze when I saw him feeding slightly away from me, he never saw me & the wind was perfect, I didn't see the herd bull & really couldn't look around much of fear of being spooking by the spike. It was fairly thick but I had lanes.

I eased back down & nocked an arrow, I then raised up slowly at full draw, (I was shooting a compound then) I looked around the rock & no spike, what the heck I thought, I was only gone 15-20 sec. I kept peering to my right & nothing, that was the direction he was facing, I finally had to let down the arrow & when I did I caught a slight movement ahead & above me & there stood the 7x7 herd bull, a good 330-340 class pig. He was a mere 20yds out there. I quickly attempted to draw & he whirled & went directly away from me, I gave him a nervous grunt & he stopped in his tracks at +50yds & looked at me for a good 15 sec. that's when I was able to count points & he was very symmetrical too.  That was too far a shot for this cowboy plus a bad angle to boot, I had to let him walk! But that encounter has burned it's way into my memory, I think about on a daily basis for some reason, if only when I was drawn I'd have looked up & straight ahead I would have easily seen him first!!!! That spike messed me up! Oh Well !!!! (grin) So boneaddict this is one that has haunted me for 5-6 years now! (grin)

ElkNut1

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
GREAT story! Exactly the adventure or type of adventure I was looking at for this thread.  Any more out there.  Thanks for sharing Elknut1.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »
Yeah i know what you mean. I have had his happen a couple time and i dont elk Hunt very much. Because of time. Anyways a few years ago i was deer hunting and got to my spot which was at an edge of this large draw. waiting for deer to come out. picture this. Really dark. can barely see the edge of the draw and all you can here are branches and movement in the bushes. IM THINNKING A MONSTER IS GOING TO COME OUT.  :o Sure was a monster. come sun up that bad boy came screaming out with a coyote on his rearend. One of this biggest bulls i have ever seen. Scary thing is when he came out he came out right at me and missed me at about 15 feet. HOLY $hit. that could have been bad. Boy that guy was huge. really dark horns. almost a dark brick red. Nice 7x7 with huge sabers and a nice fork. Elk went running into the next county, lol. and the coyote wnet back into the draw. Shot the coyote about an hour later trying to sneak out of the bottom :chuckle:  :chuckle:....

Nice story man, i always like those...........

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »
I got one...

2 years ago, winthrop area,...last day of eastern modern firearm deer...

Was in a white tail area (cause I wanted something dang it!) with my little bro. I am walking this trail on a freezing cold still morning. I hear some thrashing about and horns banging in the brush...deer fightin! They are down in a gully about 60 yards from me (cant see em..but I hear em)...my brother comes up the trail behind me (we were meeting up).

I motion to him to come quietly and he sneaks up...we both decide he will head in the brush and try to flush them out, in the hopes that I will get a shot or flush them back to him so he will get one. THe brush is chest high...no way to be quiet. But he tries.

He gets into the brush and gets close...the deer make enough noise where they dont notice too much..but finally the jig is up. I can hear one deer going away from us (through the thick woods, headed for a field...no way I am gonna catch him). But I also hear the other deer coming right for me.

I position myself on the trail near where I think he is gonna come out (I was armed with a .270 bolt action) and hunker down...he is getting close, as I can hear him, but cant see him. This goes on for about 5 minutes.  Then I see a patch of fur about 12 feet from me...but cant see the head....until....here he comes!

From behind a stump no more than like 5 feet from me comes this whitetail....all I see is horns coming from around the stump, seriously...nothing but horns at first, but he is looking back to his left, where my brother is...walking away...but he was so close I just kind of froze..my gun was down by my side (had a scope on it too) and I was afraid to move at this angle..I was just waiting for him to turn a little more slightly the other direction.

He turns slight (never did count all the points...all I know is he was the biggest deer I have seen in person) and he catchs what is standing in the trail...me...we both are frozen looking at each other, I probably could have stabbed him.

He hunches ever so slightly and pauses for a second...then BOOM! that ghost is gone! I didnt have time to bring up the gun, as it was scoped and he was so close...plus I wasnt going to shoot from the hip...although I dont see how I could have missed..but it would have been a poor shot.

My brother still teases me to this day about it...he did a fine job flushing...I just got too close. ;)

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
anyone who has heard  the sound of an elk stampede can understand this. A few years back I packed into the the William douglas on a solo elk hunt in the early archery season. I had been coming up dry for two days and had moved my camp to an area that had a spring on it and had some fresh elk tracks....this nearly killed me.

I was asleep in my tentling (my name for my micro tent) when I heard the distant thunder of hooves.......they were growing louder.....and louder. soon I could hear the panting of the elk mixed in with the thunder. I had no lantern, only a very small flashlight....which I could not find. the elk were coming through my camp at full steam, chit was poping and banging, my guy line for my tent got stepped on. I was in the fetal position wondering how much more could it suck than to get trampled out on your solo hunt...that nobody knows you are on.
in 10 more seconds it was just a memory......they were gone, just reduced to thunder in the black of the night.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »
Chris Ledoux's

'Stampede'

We made camp along red river
Watched the cattle as they bedded down
Back at the wagons, right after supper
Spread our bedrolls on the ground
And me and willie, we took the night guard
And the sage never smelled so sweet
The prairie moon, was blazin' silver
No chance tonight for a stampede

Way over yonder, off in the distance
Towards the mountains there in the west
Did I see lightnin', did I hear thunder
The mind is weary, I could use some rest
Then all at once, the wind shifts directions
The clouds roll in behind the tumbleweeds
Those longhorn cattle, are gettin' restless
God help us all, if they stampede

Smell the rain, hear the thunder
The midnight sky, turns black as death
The lightnin' crashes, smell the sulphur
It's rank and strong, as satan's breath

[Stampede lyrics on http://www.metrolyrics.com]
The cattle rise up, and go to runnin'
I spur my pony on and take the lead
And across the herd, I can hear willie yellin'
Hey stampede!

Dust clouds rise, as the rain falls
They mix together, turn the air to mud
I feel the longhorns brush against me
I can feel the demons racing through my blood
Then all at once, my pony stumbles
We hit the ground, I rise up to my knees
In a flash of light, I can see the cattle comin'
Lord I know I'm gonna die in this stampede

Then I awake, and I look around me
I'm in my bedroll and I'm layin' on the ground
Over there's the wagon, and there's the campfire
I was only dreamin', what's that sound?
And I feel the earth tremble underneath me
As the midnight sky begins to bleed
And from the blackness I can hear willie yellin'
Hey stampede
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »
good to see a CLD fan.....god rest his soul

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »
Love Chris Ledoux....this cowboys hat...for the win.. ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]