collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my Spring Bear  (Read 20391 times)

Offline RidgeRunner_07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Got my Spring Bear
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:09:59 AM »
Congrats on the bear? Washington?? I need some advice from some one who has done it...I got Drawn for a Spring bear here in Washington in GMU 121....so far I have hunted 17 days and the closest I have came was I found an old pile of scat...what am I missing? please help me out here....
"Every sinner has a future, Every saint has a past"

MDF-Life Member

Offline Timber

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm waiting to hear back from my taxidermist about the skull size. Good call boneaddict, I'm doing a lifesize mount!

Ridgerunner_07 Yep, NE Washington bear.  I was hunting a south facing slope at about 5000ft. I would say keep looking for scat and if you find some concentrated in one area, stick with that area and watch it from a distance if you can. I have always had better luck finding spring bears in the evenings than any other time of day.

Here are some more details and pictures. I hope this isn't too long.

I live in Whatcom County, my permit area is 5 1/2 hrs away. My family has a cabin near where I was hunting.

I went over opening weekend, hiked around in my "bear spot" on the 14th, didn't see any sign. I didn't bother going back up there opening day, I figured it's too early in the year, plus it's a 12 mile ride on the 4wheeler and a half hour hike.

Made another trip the next weekend with some friends. We went up to the bear spot Saturday, still no sign, still too early. Sunday we hunted turkeys and got two jakes.

Went back over there with my dad the next weekend (the 28th), didn't have to be back to work till Thursday. We went up to the bear spot Saturday and finally saw some sign (scat, tracks, freshly torn up logs). We only spent about an hour up there, didn't see any bears.

Sunday started out great. First thing in the morning I did some shed hunting and found 8 muley sheds.

Then later while looking for whitey sheds saw a young bull moose. The first moose I've ever seen over there!

I went up to my bear spot at 5pm. On my hike in, I called in a coyote to 8 yards.

A few minutes later I arrived at my bear spot and went to the tree I planned on sitting under till dark. I set down my pack and was clearing a nice spot to sit when I looked and saw a cinnamon bear 180 yards below me in the trees. It didn't take me long to figure out this was the bear I wanted! If you look close you can see he is right alongside a barbed wire fence. This is the last picture I got of him before I put my video camera down.

As soon as I got my rifle up he walked behind some trees. Believe it or not I couldn't get a clear shot at him for another hour. He was very lethargic. He would even lay down on his stomach when eating grass. Eventually, he crawled underneath the fence and took a nap in the down fir boughs you see off to the right. I snuck in to about 80 yards, right up to the lip you see in the foreground and waited for him to get up. When he did, he walked towards me for about 15 yards, then broadside, I shot, he then climbed a fir tree about 40ft up, I shot him again, he fell out of the tree but was still alive, I shot at him again, he managed to get through the fence and died about 20 yards on the other side of it. It turns out the first shot was the only time I hit him. Needless to say, I was probably a little too excited. Fortunately, it was a perfect shot right through the lungs. I was shooting a .300 Win Mag.

Notice all of the sticks around him. I couldn't see his head through all of the brush, so I was throwing sticks at him for a while to be sure he was dead.

I left him there that night. My dad came up there with me the next morning. We took pictures, then winched him up the hill to where we could get him on my 4wheeler, then loaded him onto the back rack and hauled him back to the pickup.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:07:44 PM by jtim »

Offline RidgeRunner_07

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »
Awsome story and pics.....what GMU???
"Every sinner has a future, Every saint has a past"

MDF-Life Member

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 06:10:45 AM »
Great pics and story. What a day.....it will be hard to top.

That yote pic is awsome and I had to crack up laughing at all (13?) the sticks around the bear.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 06:25:23 AM »
Dang, you found some sheds I missed...... There aren't very many moose in there, but a couple.  Were you afraid to leave him overnight whole?  Bear slip their hair so darn easy.  I guess its alot colder in the spring, and they probably don't have as much fat, though he looks like he wintered quite fine.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 10:00:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story!  good job!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »
What a great bear. Thanks for the story, it is always nice to read a good one. How did the fur hold up during the winching? I noticed he was placed on a tarp.

Thanks again!
Saylean~

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »
I don't know how, but I missed this post.  Just seeing it for the first time.  What an awesome Bear to say the least!!  Thanks for takin' the time with the story, sounds like a good time.  Gotta agree with the yote' picture.  I think I'd have that one blown up.  Congrats on a beautiful spring bear!

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »
One more thing.....did you eat any of it??  If so, how did you have him butchered??  Just lookin' for ideas for this August.  ;)

Offline Timber

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Looking back at that hunt I appreciate it more everyday. It was great to have my dad there to share the experience with.

The fur held up great during the winching process. No damage at all. The tarp worked really well.

I haven't done anything with the meat yet. It's still in the freezer. I'll probably have  it made into sausage.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
Thanks for the update jtim. About the meat, I have heard ( and have since followed the advice with my bear meat from last year) that it is advised to have the bear meat in a deep freezer for 4 months, to avoid trichinosis. Just something I have heard and thought I would pass on.

Cheers~

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »
Man thats a nice Bear.  What I wouldn't give for some bear sausage!

What is trichinosis.  Proper cooking won't kill what ever it is?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
Trich is a possibility, but proper freezing and cooking make it a non issue for me. Usually the tenderloins are eaten without ever seeing a fridge or freezer. Straight to the frying pan.

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »
very nice! and great story........... I know a good butcher that makes some excellent sausage, landjagers and roni... He is in Whatcom county, prolly not far from the taxidermist you most likely took him to.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
What position are you going to get him mounted in?  Standing, Walking, on a branch, fishing for Salmon, Open mouth, closed mount?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]