collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sitka Gear?  (Read 10376 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Sitka Gear?
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »
Anybody have Sitka Gear apparel?  I've been looking to get some non-cotton pants that aren't too heavy and breath well, and just pulled the trigger on some of the Sitka mountain pants.  Heard great things about Sitka from a buddy, but haven't seen them in person.  Certainly on the spendy side, but found a bunch of places online that have them on sale right now (cabelas, schnees, story creek), so figured I'd give them a go.  Curious what others have found.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: Sitka Gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
Sounds familiar, you may want to search the site, I seem to remember discussion on the stuff a while back...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
Go to www.24hourcampfire.com  forums and look in the backpack hunting section. There is a ton of feedback on the Sitka gear. It looks cool but the price!!!!  :bash:

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:25:27 PM »
AWESOME GEAR,  you won't be disappointed.  They are very nice and do the job just as advertised. 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
AWESOME GEAR,  you won't be disappointed.  They are very nice and do the job just as advertised. 
Did you purchase as a system or have you just bought pieces?

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 04:12:20 PM »
Outstanding gear, have the pants, shirts, vest and 90% jacket, heck the 90% jacket is darn near better than any of my Cabelas Rain "VENTS" I previously bought. 
Expensive! but works.  The best part it litterly dries, after a good soaking, I mean dries, not what the others claim.....

Just can't seem to part with $275 for the rain jacket, I use Helly Hansen Impertech, when it's batten down the hatches time.......  Buddy has the rain pants and rain jacket and gives huge thumbs up reviews......

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »
how well does this stuff breath, would it be to hot for using to hunt in September?

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »
Nice, great feedback all.  I just received the mountain pants in the mail...they seem nice, but haven't tried them outside yet.  The test will come next week walking through the Arizona desert.  After getting the pants, I decided to order the zip shirt and beanie hat as well.

There are a lot of sales on this stuff around...apparently Sitka is coming out with a new line for 2008.  In case anyone's interested, Cabela's, schnees.com, 3riversarchery.com and storycreekinc.com (among others, I'm sure) all have their Sitka stuff on sale right now.  Problem is finding the right size, as all the outfitters have limited quantities.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
how well does this stuff breath, would it be to hot for using to hunt in September?

As noted, I've only just tried on the mountain pants, but that's exactly why I got the stuff...because it's supposed to breath really well.  The pants are pretty thin, so I think they'll be great.  I'll let you know after I hike around in the desert with them next week.

I also tried on these at Sportsman's last week...they're REALLY comfy, and I bet they'd be awesome in the warm weather....

http://www.predatorcamo.com/store/dc_201pant.html

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
It looks like awesome hunting clothing but I didn't want to drop the money on it until I heard some reviews from people. I have also seen those at the sportsmen's warehouse in Federal Way, they felt real light weight like they would work good for the early season.

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »
What makes them nice, is it is truely a system not just pants or jackets.  They are really designed for Mountain Hunting where the temp fluctuates greatly from morning till night.  If I remember right, it was out Sheep hunting is why they came up with them.  All extremely light weight and all centered off the base layer and peel off what isn't needed.  I really like them, will fill out the rest of the system one day....  Wish I had the complete set-up a couple years ago on a Goat Hunt.....

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
The 90% line is made for mobile hunting it is snug fitting (awesome for archery) the mountain mimicry camo pattern is awesome in brushy or rocky terrain. It is made for early season hunting. It does not dry out as fast as they say and the wind whistles right through it. I like the vents on the jacket and the articulating fit but this is not cold weather gear. It breaths well.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
Well, after getting the mountain pants I decided I should get one of the shirts...didn't make sense to have these nice breathable pants but wear a cotton top.  And well, more fun stuff to shop for!  Of course, the place I bought the shirt from had a deal where you get free shipping (and no tax) on orders over $100, so I added the beanie hat and the belt to get over $100.  The shirt was like $60, the hat and belt each were about $20 on sale.  Gotta say, the shirt and beanie are really nice.  The belt is cool too, but heck, it's just a belt.  On the shirt and beanie, they basically took the dri-fit type polyester fabric used by runners and made it a little heavier and in camo.  I'm a runner and have a ton of this stuff (and swear by it), but obviously had none in camo.  Most of you have probably seen the camo dri-fit stuff by Under Armour.  It's like that, but a little thicker.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
For the guys that have been using it, what is the lowest temp you would hunt in wearing the 90% gear?

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
I wore the 90% when it was 5 degrees on the late  archery hunt and if I sat down for more than a 1/2 hour it got cold quick. That was with under armour and a sweat shirt on beneath it. If it had wind stopper it would be the shiznit for archery hunting. I am looking for some fleece with wind stopper for next year. You are plenty fine at 30 degrees. The wind is really the down fall.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »
I just read on another forum that there were some big changes in the 08 line. Maybe worth the wait?

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
I wore it when the week temps were a balmy 25 degrees on the north slope, mixed sleet, wind, rain, snow and a tiny bit of teasing sunshine during the day, in Aug.  For me temp was fine, never did I get too hot carring a pack and never did I get cold, when stopping to glass, rest etc....  Anything lower than 15 or so, probably wouldn't cut it unless your moving, it is a early season gear for Alaska, I wouldn't recommend it for a late Oct hunt for Moose.  On the westside of the this state, it would probably work throughout any season, I guess it really depends upon the person and their comfort range..  It is designed for folks that move around, If I had a tree stand, I probably wouldn't wear it for an all day event clothing.....  As for drying, it dries twice as fast as anything else I have, had the chance to really see when my buddy had his set and I didn't at the time on a Kenai Pennisula Goat Hunt.  I had 3SP Mountain pants and other high quaility gear, It just wouldn't dry, period.  Even my nylon super light weight pants wouldn't dry in the 6 days of complete down pour, but his pants and top did, nothing else under the tarp did!  I'm a believer.  It worked for him and me on latter trips as well.  Use in Cold Weather, 15 and lower, well that what they design cold weather gear!

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
Thanks Cohoho, Thats what I was wondering about, awnsered a couple of questions for me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]