collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: poached trophy bull elk  (Read 7195 times)

Offline groundhog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
poached trophy bull elk
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
On the news this morning they were talking about a trophy bull that was poached on private property in the Tampico area. They didn't have much info except that there were about a dozen people involved and there was also alcohol involved.
It sounded like they had caught them in the act. Man I hope they throw the book at these low life's!! I don't want to say anything that is inappropriate but isn't Tampico close to the reservation? Not making any accusations just trying to figure out where Tampico is.
Another thought. So if you turn in a group of twelve poachers do you get 120 bonus points? Wouldn't that be something! Does anyone have any info on this?

Slenk

Re: poached trophy bull elk
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
Tampico is at the fork of north and south fork of the Autanum Creek pretty close to the Rez boundary . Can still be privaate property on the Rez. though  .
Don't have any more info than last night they said there were 7 involved .
Wonder if it's some of the same people boneaddict had a run in with at Oak Creek ?
Slenk

Offline wackmaster

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »
I hope they burn >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Get outdoors and enjoy life

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:48 PM »
I hope it wasnt Indians because if it is they will get away with it

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:49:49 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows about a possible poached bull(s) on Hwy 12 last Saturday.  About a 1/4 east of Trout Lodge, there were two sheriffs rigs and another rig parked along the road and the body of an elk in the pullout.  I figured it had been hit by a car, then saw the head was missing and from the coat I could tell it was a bull.  About 70 yards past the body of the elk there was a head/rack or maybe two, I wasn't sure, not huge racks and some rope and what looked like a winch/comealong set up that might have been used to get the bodies of elk down to the road. I was on my way up to White Pass to pick up my daughter skiing or damn near have turned around to find out what was going on.  It wouldn't bother me if anyone convicted of poaching in this state was denied hunting privileges forever. 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »
dirt bags......just get it done in the 10 allotted days like the rest of us.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
I haven't seen word about it.  You're in charge Slenk.

Offline Backstraps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • eburg dan
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
NEW: Six may face charges of killing elk during closed season

Six Tampico area residents may face charges after state Fish and Wildlife Department enforcement officers determined they poached a trophy bull elk early Saturday, out of season and aided by their headlights.

Responding to an anonymous tip to a Washington State Patrol dispatcher, wildlife officers determined the group killed a large elk -- a 6-by-7-point bull -- near the South Fork of the Ahtanum, west of the Tampico store.

The officers seized the elk, the vehicle used to spotlight the animal and the gun used to kill it, officials said. The seizures could become permanent, based on state Fish and Wildlife seizure statutes.

In addition to the seizures, any or all of the six individuals involved could be charged with the taking or possession of elk during a closed season, and with hunting big game with an artificial light. Both charges are gross misdemeanors, and both have a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $5,000 fine. They could also be fined $6,000, the value the state places on a trophy elk.

Enforcement Capt. Rich Mann said that recommendations for charges would be filed with the prosecutor's office upon completion of the investigation.

While there are some advanced hunter education hunts still active in the Tampico area, those hunts are only legal during the day. Tribal members can hunt in their traditional hunting areas during periods that would be out of season for nontribal members, "but typically they don't hunt at night," Mann said.

The hunters involved are nontribal members.

Sgt. Morgan Grant, who is overseeing the investigation, praised the witness who made the anonymous call.

"The person that made that call is the reason we were able to investigate and be successful in the investigation," Grant said. "As much as we'd like to say we're darn good game wardens, a high percentage of the cases we make is because people step forward and provide us the information that we can follow up on.

"And protecting that resource is a responsibility of everybody."

-- Scott Sandsberry

This really pisses me off! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Book'em Dano

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »
I hope it wasnt Indians because if it is they will get away with it

It sucks to say, but even if it were whity's who did it, money and a good lawyer a person could get away with wacking the pope in this country.

Hopefully the judge sees it our way.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Slenk

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
I just hope our prosecuting attorney has the balls to try them at the fullest extent of the law . An not for a slighter crime as he does for some of the murders around here .
And yes I am also glad they were not natives from the Rez.
Sounds like they have a lot of crimes they could be charged with .
Pouching
Spot lighting
Drunk with weapons
Maybe drunk driving  ?
??????????????
Dang good thing I am not the Judge on this one .
Slenk

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
I like how the F&G boy hedged his bets and stated the tribal members  "TYPICALLY don't hunt at night."   :chuckle:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
dont hold it against me but I know several involved in this fiasco most it dosent surprise me but the shooter I always felt was a stand up guy. he is quite well known around selah. JB
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:13:03 AM »
I hope someone finds out who was involved/charged and posts their info. on the web.  No use for these type of people, and everyone should know who they are.  JMO

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
i don't mean to change the subject, but, does anybody know what happened to the guy who shot the 6pt bull  during deer season in the blues this past year. I guess in that case... He thought it was a deer... what the @#$*?????????

no wonder I can't draw a permit, @%$#heads are poaching all our bulls!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 01:12:53 PM »
I wont post any info on these guys. JB
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jake

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »
 im going to put this out there because it happens a couple times a year, there are always a group of guys that get caught shooting something out of season, and it typically goes like this, one guy owns the truck, one guy owns the weapon, and a couple people just along for the ride, and most the time the only one that gets punitive action against them is the shooter. so even though all of them SHOULD lose there hunting lic., have a huge fine, and be pointed out to the hunting public so we can know who these stand up gentlemen are. sad to say it will not happen, im guessing one guy will take the fall for all of them and the punishment will be minimal, and believe me im just as angry as everyone else but if someone else has and idea of what will happen please post.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
You nailed it...thank your local lawyer, judge (a lawyer), and politician (probably a lawyer) for making it so that a person can not be held responsible.  Again not my fault it was jimmy I had no idea and was just along for the ride.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 12:21:15 AM »
You nailed it...thank your local lawyer, judge (a lawyer), and politician (probably a lawyer) for making it so that a person can not be held responsible.  Again not my fault it was jimmy I had no idea and was just along for the ride.

Yep people follow the examples of guys like Ole Bill Clinton... I didn't have sexual relations with that woman, she had them with me. And the best one was when he said I did not inhale that marijuana. Yeah but I bet he liked the smell :chuckle:

Just too many people out there not taking responsibility for their actions. Sad. :(

Integrity...you either have it or you don't.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]