collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wind Is Important! Camo Is Not!!  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Wind Is Important! Camo Is Not!!
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »

That seems like a fairly blunt statement! (grin) What do you guys think? I feel all will agree on the wind, it can be your friend or worst enemy!!! Never buck it! Camo is cool but not that important for Elk hunting! Is this true for you?

ElkNut1

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wind Is Important! Camo Is Not!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »
couldn't be more right. I think I go through about 3 or 4 bottles of wind checker every fall. as far as camo goes, i wear it, (boosts my confidence i guess) but as long as you're wearing something that looks broken up i think you're fine. I think a lot of people try hiding from the elk too much, like staying in or behind brush or trees and it's probably kept a lot of people from getting shots. Just hold still and stay downwind, they're animals, not rocket scientists.

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »
Elknut,
I couldn't agree more! I know a guy that has taken a bunch of trophy bulls with his bow and he smokes ciggerettes like crazy! One time I asked him about it and his response was " Elk can't smell me as long as I am down wind of em, if you are up wind they will smell you know matter what you do to conceal your scent". I think he is right.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
Aside from the scent issue, wind helps with concealment of noise and your movement.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »
I some how I got cut off there. I wear scent lock camo a lot but they still smell me if they get to my wind. I have taken lots of great pics and a couple of bulls with my bow while wearing olive drab (Carhart) type clothing. More important I think is picking the right "set up" and knowing when to draw your bow. I do believe in wearing gloves and a face mask! Some times the sun can make your face and hands look like neon!

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:08:33 AM »
I do not go through many measures to try and be scent free...therefore...I hunt into the wind at all times. I probably should try a little harder on the scent issue... If an elk is dead down wind of you...he will smell you...guaranteed, unless you are locked in a bubble, but then he'll smell the bubble and be alarmed!!

If you go through much effort to lessen your human scent, there is a little more room for error. If the wind is blowing to 6 Oclock...and the bull is 50 yards down at 4 Oclock... if you are relatively scent free..you just may keep him around.. if you are stinky..there's a good chance some of that stink will make it to him off the main wind current... The more stink there is...the more spread out and alarming it will be.

Camo... definitely not a big deal for elk. I know several guys that wear plaid wool shirts and kill bulls every years with their bows... For me, alot of the "quiet" and well made, weather proof clothes are now in camo... so thats what I happen to have..

Ernie
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »
Absolutely correct!

In fact (I know this will ruffle some feathers) I truly believe a lot of the camo that people wear is probably a disadvantage because of its overall darkness and its inability to break up your outline.  Many of the popular camos patterns look great at 15' in good lighting but get 15 or 20 yards in low light and they turn into a big dark blob. 

With the exception of Predator and ASAT a lot of the most popular camos seem more fashion than function... my 2 cents.  But I guess that can be a whole other subject in the forum.

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:13:38 AM »
Intruder is right on. i actually used to make my own camo with tan clothes and a black marker that resembled predator, now i just wear predator. most new camos work great if you're hiding from people but with animals the more contrast and break up the better.

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
Its all about wind ,motion and natural sounds.. To me the # 1 factor in archery hunting Elk is the wind, If they smell you it's all over #2 is movement, if they see movement that think is  a predator they are gone, #3 If they hear an un natural sound they are gone.  There is no fooling an Elks nose, You can fool their eyes, If they see you, you can become or remain motionless and they may decide the danger has passed (I personally feel more confident if I have my camo on when this happens) or was a passing Elk or other ungulate. You can also fool their ears with calls and natural Elk noises but, If they hear an un natural sound ( release against arrow or arrow against riser this sort of thing) they are just as gone as if they smelled you. These are 3 things I live by when archery Elk hunting.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »
I've brought in alot of bulls with my levis on and a regular shirt.  I've had them standing at 12 feet wondering whats up.  Ask Idabooner.  I put a gigantic bull in front of him that came to kick my ass.  The fir tree got the worst of it though.  Just have to watch movement.  Wind is important is an understatement.

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
I absoultely agree. Wind is the deal. Followed closely by ill-timed movement. I do agree with groundhog about concealing your hands. I make it a practice to wear green drab wool gloves. But wind is number one!

Offline jstamp

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
So what you are telling me is that the $300 I spent on camo doesn't hide me from the elk. I was sure that's why it costed so much. Wind, who would of thought that.  ;) :chuckle: :o

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
Wind is #1 no doubt. Camo is cool for sure. It makes "me" feel like I am more a part of the enviorment and I tend to hunt better that way. The thing to watch though is your face. If a bull can make out your eyeballs on light colored face....your in trouble.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
My grandparents lived in alaska for almost 20 years.  They said the way you knew bear season had open was all the seattle people up there wearing camo.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
i think its good to wear atleast a natural type color. just dont wear BLUE thats the worst thing possible, its like wearing fluorescent to deer. and i know i know that some of you have called in huge bulls and seen huge bucks while wearing blue jeans and what not

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »

Iornhead, the thoughts you expressed are the exact thoughts I share at my Seminars when the subject arises. Thanks! I was going to mention them but now you've saved me the time! (grin) Guys, he's 100% correct in my book!

Wear what gives you confidence & by all means hunt the wind, leave the scent lok at home! (grin) I've never noticed any color being a factor, including blues! It's movement that gives one away at the wrong time!

Well, I'm on my way to WA!! (grin) Stop by & say howdy! I know Bam is!!

ElkNut1

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »
I really rely on both them while hunting the dense wester forests for roseys.  I actually got away with bad wind a few times this year because the bulls were so hot.  I also got busted a couple times because my face wasn't camo'ed.  Both are important but not 100% necessary.

Shawn

Offline camp cook

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »
HEAR YA TWICE ,SEE YA ONCE,SMELL YA Nooooo !!!

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »
I have always wanted to video me hunting wearing a bright pink or yellow oufit and put a stalk on a deer to prove to my friends it is all about the wind not what you wear.
Guess I wont get my camo sponsorship after this .
If its brown knock it down

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »
So...Sitka Gear makes some great outdoor clothing...bowhunting clothing in particular...
I am about to drop about $500 on a good bunch of it... It comes in Loden, Black, Mothwing and ASAT...

I think I'll go with ASAT or Moth Wing...even though "camo doesn't matter"... black is no good for sure. Loden would work.. Camo is more "stylish" though :chuckle:
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »
Wind is everything!

I like my leafy wear jacket because it breaks up my outline. But I don't think it would matter if it was camo or not.

When I was in the Marines when you went to the field we were told to wear our newest camis. The old faded ones made you look salty but you stuck out like a sore thumb.

Years later hunting in the Willapa during late archery I watched across a canyon as two buddies of mine stalked a herd. One had new camoflage and the other wore faded. Nick in his faded camis almost glowed. Granted we see in color and deer and elk see in black and white but that is my excuse to my wife why I need new hunting clothes every couple of years! It's all about looking good!

I try to be anal about scent control; scentfree laundry, scentfree body and hair wash, scent free pitstick, keep the wind in my nose not the elk's, but I still bugger up elk, that's just huntin'!
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »
deer and elk dont see completely black and white. they see more of a blue-grey type world, its not just black and white. they can see different colorstoo though, greens, browns, and yes even some reds and orange. but not like clear and bright, more lightly faded like

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
deer and elk dont see completely black and white. they see more of a blue-grey type world, its not just black and white. they can see different colorstoo though, greens, browns, and yes even some reds and orange. but not like clear and bright, more lightly faded like

are you a deer?????

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 07:39:53 PM »
no but i have been to school, have you??

go look it up on the internet

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 08:32:35 PM »
no but i have been to school, have you??
sometimes I go. From what I saw they are red green color blind so they cant tell red green and orange colors apart but they see blue and purple very well.

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
Okay, camo that blends in is extremely important for turkeys but not for elk, just to blend in is fine. 
Now, how do you keep the wind in your face???  We have ~ 9 acres of land, a slight slope, scattered 150' firs, 50' oaks, brush, etc.  I can't keep the wind in my face continuously when I walk from one side of my property to the other.  I have hunted elk in several areas mostly here on the wet side and always the wind spirals, even without major obstacles to blow around or up/down.  So I'm very careful about scent control.

Has anyone used cover scents, I mean other than stepping in elk droppings?
Diane

ps.
Also,  how do you shut off that HUNTER!!! neon sign above your head?  I've had one for ...never mind how long, many years. 
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
Totally agree.  98% of camo turns into one blob past 100yds.  I do think it helps to break up outline if the color matches.  I wear camo but mainly use wind.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
If its older at all you look like a flourescent blue blob to be exact.

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »

The point I was making with this thread was that camo does not matter! Any works fine. Elk do not care if you look like a blob. (grin) They are not threatened because we may look like a rock or stumps! The thing is rocks & stumps do not move, at all !!!!! That's the key to getting close, don't move until you can. Those who rely on their camo TOO MUCH FOR CONCEALMENT are the ones likely to get burned, thinking they can get away with small movements that may be not noticed by the elk, WRONG!!  Camo does not take the place of hunting smart nor does scent-lok stuff!

ElkNut1   

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal