collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern coyotes have a touch of wolf in them  (Read 3110 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Eastern coyotes have a touch of wolf in them
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_660215.html

Eastern coyotes have a touch of wolf in them
By Bob Frye, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 3, 2010
It usually takes a special kind of coyote to win the annual hunt put on by the Mosquito Creek Sportsmen's Association.

Specifically, a male, and a very big one at that.

"The top prize almost always goes to whoever can bring in the heaviest male," said Cathy Tarner, who helps promote the hunt — the state's oldest and by far its largest — for the club, which is located in Frenchville, Clearfield County.

In the five hunts held from 2005-09, 13 of the 15 heaviest coyotes weighed in were males. The four biggest — three of them males — topped 50 pounds each.

To put that in perspective, consider that coyotes — a species that developed on the Great Plains — average 20-35 pounds in Nebraska and 25-35 in Kansas, according to the wildlife agencies in those states.

Pennsylvania is able to produce animals so much larger because of genetics.

Scientists have long suspected that the Eastern coyote found in Pennsylvania and elsewhere might actually be a hybrid, the result of interbreeding with wolves. A study published this fall — which examined the DNA and skulls of nearly 700 coyotes from New York and Pennsylvania, some from the Mosquito Creek hunt — confirms that is true.

"All of these animals have some wolf in them," said Roland Kays, curator of mammals at the New York State Museum and lead investigator on the project.

"Our research did not allow us to say whether the animals are 25 percent wolf or 75 percent of whatever. But what we can say is that they are mostly coyote with some wolf definitely mixed in."

That hybridization likely first began half a century ago, Kays said, and involved Great Lakes wolves and coyotes. Their offspring migrated from Ontario south across the St. Lawrence River and into New York, he said.

They first appeared in Pennsylvania in the 1930s, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission records, with the first "Easter coyote" killed in the state falling in Tioga County in 1940.

They've thrived ever since, especially lately. No one can say with any degree of certainty how many coyotes the state has, said Matt Lovallo, the chief furbearer biologist for the Game Commission. But a population of 50,000 to 60,000 spread across every county in the state might be a good guess, he said.

Their numbers are likely still climbing in the southwestern and southeastern corners of the state, he added. The coyote's adaptability is part of the reason.

"A lot of the success of the Eastern coyote can be attributed to the fact that it's omnivorous," Lovallo said. "They eat not only what many people might consider prey species, but also all kinds of hard and soft mast, like nuts and berries and autumn olive, and, in suburban areas, even dog food and garbage. They're kind of unique among forest predators in that they can switch food sources pretty quickly."

Some hunters believe coyotes kill lots of whitetails, too — enough to depress deer populations.

The Eastern coyote's larger size and larger skulls equipped with more powerful jaws certainly make them capable of killing deer, and they do take their share, especially fawns in spring, Kays said. But they don't kill an inordinate number, he said.

"I don't think we have any evidence that coyotes are depredating deer to any significant level," Lovallo agreed.

Whether you love them or hate them, though — and they are a polarizing species — Eastern coyotes are amazing, Kays said.

"My take on this is that this is an animal that sort of evolved into a creature with enough wolf in it to fill a niche as a large predator, but with enough coyote still in there to deal with people," he said. "They just seem really adaptive, which has helped them survive better."

'PURE' COYOTES IN AREA

Pennsylvania is in the unique position of getting its coyotes from two different directions, according to Roland Kays.

Most of the state's coyotes are wolf-coyote hybrids that can trace their lineage to animals that migrated south from Ontario and New York, he said. But there is a much smaller group of genetically distinct, more "pure" coyotes running around, too, in the counties on the extreme western edge of the state. They may have a bit of dog DNA, but otherwise are the offspring of coyotes moving east from places like Ohio, he added.

It remains to be seen how the two populations will co-exist.

"It will be interesting over time to see if these two just kind of mix it up," he said.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
Re: Eastern coyotes have a touch of wolf in them
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
Their breeding practice changes a bit when they get a 'touch of lead' in them.  :chuckle: :chuckle:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
old news wolfbait...

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
 :)Yup What Jack said.
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »
old news wolfbait...

Not real old jackelope, most folks on here are not going to like it to much when the wdfw shut down coyote hunting. Like the sudden shortage of cougars, the wolves will be making short work of them, there will be more cat problems as time goes along, maybe even where you live. If you lived in wolf country as I do now, you might see the whole picture. ;) Eventually you will see what wolves are doing all over Washington. My thoughts are, shoot as many coyotes as you can. Specially the big ones. ;)

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:45:45 PM »
old news wolfbait...

By Bob Frye, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 3, 2010

It was published 2 days ago, It's not too old for the newspaper.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »
The "discovery" and finally admission was 3-5 years ago as I remember. 40-70 lb. "coyotes" being killed.
It was all over the web.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
 :iamwithstupid:

1-it's all over the internet. it was decided this to be the case years ago.
that particular article may have been published 2 days ago. this one's from 9.22.09:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/
there's other threads on here on the same topic with lots of links and other info. wikipedia has a page on this topic with articles from 2007 on it and Bearpaw Dale has posted on the same topic in the past if i remember correctly.

re:cat problems....there's been lions killed right here in the city limits of the blooming metropolis of Duvall in the last few years and there was a female with cubs right up the street from me a couple months ago. we already have lion problems...no need to warn me that thats coming, it's already here. i realize i am not a methow farmer(wish i was) and that i apparently won't ever know what it's like to be a real country boy, but i know a little.
re: the whole picture....anyway, what was this thread about?
oh yeah...stuff thats already been on here multiple times. that was my point. no need to discredit anything i said because i don't live in "wolf country"

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »
:iamwithstupid:

1-it's all over the internet. it was decided this to be the case years ago.
that particular article may have been published 2 days ago. this one's from 9.22.09:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/
there's other threads on here on the same topic with lots of links and other info. wikipedia has a page on this topic with articles from 2007 on it and Bearpaw Dale has posted on the same topic in the past if i remember correctly.

re:cat problems....there's been lions killed right here in the city limits of the blooming metropolis of Duvall in the last few years and there was a female with cubs right up the street from me a couple months ago. we already have lion problems...no need to warn me that thats coming, it's already here. i realize i am not a methow farmer(wish i was) and that i apparently won't ever know what it's like to be a real country boy, but i know a little.
re: the whole picture....anyway, what was this thread about?
oh yeah...stuff thats already been on here multiple times. that was my point. no need to discredit anything i said because i don't live in "wolf country"

Where do I start,,,,,,,,,The invention of the lightbulb was when? No doubt wolves have been interbreeding with coyotes when the desired was in short supply or maybe the coyote had no choice :yike: for many years.  Next time I post something that didn't happen yesterday should I check with you first :dunno:

Re: Quite sure you are up to date on the cougar problems that we are already having, and you already live in wolf country, you just don't realize it yet. So you see I am not trying to discredit you, maybe trying to wake you up a little bit. Appears I did. ;)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
 ;)

no need to check with me first, friend. no need to post a thread on the invention of the light bulb either.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
here you go wolfbait...the threadbearpaw started a few months ago with more info. you actually even posted in it.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,36693.15.html

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
Not sure I posted this article before jackelope did you even read it? :dunno:

In the five hunts held from 2005-09, 13 of the 15 heaviest coyotes weighed in were males. The four biggest — three of them males — topped 50 pounds each.

The 09 hunt is what caught my eye, if it has already been posted, my apology goes to you, knowing how much you hate the same old news about wolves. I would guess in the next twenty years or so you will get real tired of hearing the same old stories of how the wolves ruined hunting in Washington the same as they have been doing in other states. Maybe you can take up nitting. :chuckle: :chuckle: Just kidding.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »

not what i was saying. what i was saying is that you had posted in that thread that bearpaw posted on the same topic 3 or 4 months ago.
you don't need to continually tell me how the wolves are a problem and how the hunting in washington is gonna suck and all that yada yada. i have told you several times i don't disagree with that. oh and as far as knitting...my friend BC Chaser on here handles all of the knitting needs we may have. i think he might be making a hat for my daughter right now in fact.
:)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »

not what i was saying. what i was saying is that you had posted in that thread that bearpaw posted on the same topic 3 or 4 months ago.
you don't need to continually tell me how the wolves are a problem and how the hunting in washington is gonna suck and all that yada yada. i have told you several times i don't disagree with that. oh and as far as knitting...my friend BC Chaser on here handles all of the knitting needs we may have. i think he might be making a hat for my daughter right now in fact.
:)

Well Once again I am sure sorry about that, maybe I should run any wolf posts by you first and you can check n see if everyone has seen them and get back to me. That way we won't have to go through all the nit-picking. Glad to hear your nittin is all taken care of. ;)

Offline dbur525

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
    • Billy Bullet
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »
anybody heard about yote-alopes? seems there is a small pack in the mount baker area a guy in everett said he shot a 4 pointer :dunno: :rolleyes: :o
Painting & Identifying Bullet Tips & Cases for safety
                             "know your load"
                     Billy Bullet marking Systems
           billybulletbullettipmarkingsystems.com

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal