collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: coyote with .17 rimfire  (Read 2539 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
coyote with .17 rimfire
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:31:58 AM »
I've not had good luck with the .17 hmr at long (100 yds) distance, but this weekend I went to the woods (more like thicket) and called two songdogs in four sets.  The first never gave me a shot (because i was in a thicket  :P ) and the second I killed at ~ 30 ft.  The first shot was in the chest, she raised hell for a second, so i killed her with a head shot. 
I was shooting the 20 grain hollowpoint rounds- I like them WAY better that the ballistic tips, but still wouldn't go past ~75 yds with one. 
Full moon with snow tonight!!!!!!  As long as it doesn't cloud up it will be a GREAT night to kill coyotes!  :drool:  :drool:
PS. using Bearmanrics mouth calls!  Thanks Rick, I'm leaving the e caller at home.

Offline Sagedawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: coyote with .17 rimfire
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »
Man you did alot better than I did. I was out yesterday made 5 sets, but didnt have one response. I did see a few but all in areas that I dont have permission to hunt.BTW saw your pst on the bobcat and quail awesome day you had. Mind if I ask in what area. Ive been trying down around Rock lake for a cat, Ive found their tracks but havent seen one in my scope yet...theres still hope though.

Sage

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: coyote with .17 rimfire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »
I got the cat down by Brewster, WA.  He was in the rocks and was a tough one to get out! 
The yotes were in the thick stuff North of Spokane.  I left the e caller at home and walked some snowmobile trails (they're MAJOR travel routes when the snow is deep) to make my sets.  I called quietly and moved after about 10 minutes.  Try hunting in the woods, you can't see far, but neither can they.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal