collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Trials and Tribulations of Chukar (a Brittany)  (Read 70854 times)

Offline TEX-X

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: The Trials and Tribulations of Chukar
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
okay... i finally bit the bullet and got a 2 dog box (metal) for the bed of my truck....they are so expensive... so the dogs ride in the back ....the only problem is I have 3 dogs....

Offline bonneylakebowman

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 10:55:26 AM »
shoulda got one of those fancy ones that takes up the whole bed.  I am thinkin bout gettin on for my truck and putting a roof top tent on the top of it so i have somewhere to stay while hunting

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
i thought about it... but i also run a small repair shop out of my barn... i need a place for parts/engines/transmissions....

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
good luck will get all your had work early paid in full many times over in the long run.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
December 19th:

We did a session outside, concentrating on sit, stay, come...for the first time he responded to the come command, without me yanking on his lead. His attention span is noticeably longer, measured in seconds I might add.

Now at 9 weeks, I can really see his personality coming through. He is getting more and more comfortable with us and his new surroundings.

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
December 20th:

Over the next two weeks, I did not keep any notes, I will be pulling from memory and my wife's blog...

We ventured over to my wife's parent's house to introduce him to a dog for the first time. He was very inquisitive and super excited to play with the other dog, a Maltese poodle that is 12 or 13 years old. Chukar would chase after Max, slide into him and then roll over, playing the submissive one the entire time. Our goal is introduce Chukar to as many dogs as possible in the coming months (Look for a future post on our Norm's experience in Fremont)...of course after his shots are handled. The initial experiment went well.

Here's a shot of him on the ride over:

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
December 21st - December 30th:

More of the same...Sit, stay and come. During this time frame, in addition to obedience training we wanted Chukar to start meeting people and other dogs as frequently as possible. After another round of shots, it was off to my parents' house for Christmas. The four hour trip went awesome! Chukar is a great traveler and did a great job when we would stop for breaks...Save for the time we stopped at Indian John Hill, too many smells to get any business done.

We made it all the way to Kennewick and Chukar got to meet my folks' miniature dachshunds...They wanted nothing to do with Chukar, but it added to Chukar's experience with other dogs.

On the 27th, we were back home and it was a great day to get Chukar outside for some "school" work...Here is a shot of him and I working away. By this time, he realized what it means to put on the collar and don the lead.

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
December 31st - January 3rd:

We were off to Lake Wenatchee for New Year's festivities, it turned out to be a great opportunity for Chukar to travel some more, meet even more people and experience snow for the first time. There wasn't much formal training over the long weekend, but looking back, I really think exposing him to many different places and people has helped with his temperament and attention span. Here is a video of Chukar playing in the snow one of his first times.

Here is Chukar and I strolling the streets of Leavenworth.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:14:55 PM by 10Key »

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
January 7th:

We decided that it was a good idea to take Chukar to Norm's (a bar that encourages you to bring your dog) in Fremont for some trivia and to watch the national championship...Within minutes, I was doubting our decision. Chukar was going hog-wild between the masses of people and dogs, it was quite a site. Low and behold, within fifteen minutes or so, Chukar came into his own and was being very polite to the "others" and sat below our table, taking in the sights. He did however have an accident, which pissed me off, but it was my fault, not his. Overall, we were there for two hours, he met at least a dozen dogs, we couldn't have been more proud of him.

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
January 9th:

Even though Chukar and I hadn't nailed sit, stay, come quite yet (we're still having fits with stay), I decided it was time to introduce the game of fetch. I set up the check-cord, strapped on Chukar's collar and we were off to the backyard. I was using a small fetch dummy. We set up for the first attempt and I was having issues with the cord...I finally got those issues worked out, I got Chukar really excited about the dummy and I made a toss of about twenty-five feet and yelled "fetch!". Chukar ran out there as fast as he could with a stiff cord attached to his collar and he grabbed the dummy. I gave the whistle one loud blow and yelled, "Chukar come!". By golly, during all of that commotion, I forgot to tug the cord...turns out I didn't need to. He came right to me and I ordered Chukar to drop the dummy. It took some coaxing, but he eventually dropped the dummy.

This went on for a dozen or so rounds, each time he was getting better and better...After the tenth try or so, he was losing interest, I unhooked the cord and we ended with some sit, stay, come work...In all, a very good day for Chukar and I.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
Re: The Trials and Tribulations of Chukar (a Brittany Spaniel)
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »
Dude......  SLOW DOWN!!!   Your could very easily ruin your Brit!!!!!     This is a 10 week old puppy your talking about.  You shouldn't be training him anything right now.  Certainly not sit, stay and come.  About the only thing he should be learning is that life is fun, bugs are fun to chase, when he pees in the house he goes outside, and his kennel is his home.   Be VERY careful when teaching a pointing dog to "sit" as well.   It might lead to a dog that sits when the dog should be on point.......   

While I appreciate your zest, you really do need to take a step back and let your puppy be a puppy.  Real "formal" training shouldn't start until the dog is at least 6 months old, but closer to a year is even better.  Potty training and crate training are fine, but leave the other stuff alone for a while.  Take the puppy for lots of walks, introduce it to as many dogs as possible, and let it have fun with people.  Let it play with some pheasant/quail wings to build its prey drive, but don't expect him to point at this age (even though he might) That is all you need to be doing right now.   If you want to start a "TINY" bit of training, start with the come command when hes on a check cord and your out for a walk.  Once or twice while on the walk give the "come" command and reel the dog in until it gets right to you.  Then let it run off again and have fun.  Do that 2 or 3 times is all......   You have to understand that right now your pup only knows one thing.  Eat, sleep, and have fun.  He doesn't understand why your trying to get him to do these things that he doesn't really want to do.   Play with him, have fun with him, and pick out a training method that you want to use.  I would suggest the "Perfect Start/Perfect finish" DVD set from Perfection Kennels.  IMO this is by far the easiest and best way to train a dog for a beginner/amateur trainer.  Let your pup grow up some, trust me, when he gets older you will be suprised how fast he will learn.  You aren't really helping him by trying to train him this early.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »
Just re-read my post.  I hope I didn't come across too strong.  Just for grins, Im going to try and post 2 youtube clips of my Brit.  The first one is of her in S. Dakota at 14 months old.  She had zero training until she was 11 months old.  We put her out on birds, had fun with her, slowly worked up to the "come" command, and thats it.  At 11 months she started her serious training.  The first video is a really bad one, but you can see how calm and relaxed she is when pheasants started flushing everywhere after she pinned them down.  She has only been in training for 3 months at that point.  The reason Im posting this is because you can see how fast they catch on when they get older.  What will take you 24 hours of total training to teach right now, will take 2 when your pup gets old enough to start really learning.  The last video shows the difference of a dog being broke to wing, and broke to wing and shot.  My pup had the bird pointed and the liver Brittany was backing her.   At the shot, my pup is solid, while the liver dog breakes on the bird (he wasn't supposed to).  Ain't training fun!!!   ;)   You will have to decide how "broke" you will want your pup when you hunt him as well somewhere down the road.    Good luck with your pup, and let us know how it goes.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:49:24 PM by jetjockey »

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
jetjockey: Part of the reason I am posting this stuff here is because I am a rookie at this and am looking for pointers along the way, your comments are much appreciated. One of the first things I read was how "soft" britts are and to be careful with them when training.

As for timing of getting started with training, I am only adapting some of the things that I've read by Wolters and Weaver...maybe I am off with the time line a bit?

Offline TEX-X

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
thats right you have to be careful with britts... they break easy... not as much ability as a shorthair  :chuckle:
i'm just poking fun at you....  stick to your book... they should have a time line....  all in all until7 or 8 months have fun and try to develop your dogs natural ability through play and fun... don't try to make things to formal....I for one think that basic obedience starts the day you bring him home....  kenneling, going to the bathroom outside, and yes sitting and come....  I mean i don't beat on him if he don't comply but i make the training fun... they have a very little attention span at the moment....  but training him to come by enthusiastically calling his name and clapping your hands and using the come command won't hurt him.   don't strap on a Ecollar and start using it (i'm sure your not)  but fun games to get him to learn won't hurt at all in MY PERSONAL OPINION   :twocents:  hey jet jockey  where do you live?

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »
I keep hearing the term and I can't come up with a good definition in my own right...What exactly does "broke" mean in terms of dogs and training? I can loosely come up with something in my mind relating to horses, but when it comes to dogs, not so much. Can you guys help me out?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]