collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for excellent bird taxi in West. Wash.  (Read 4889 times)

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
Looking for excellent bird taxi in West. Wash.
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
Also, since I've got the perfect goose for mounting, I'm confused on how to freeze it correctly. Any tips or advise on that would be much appreciated also.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Looking for excellent bird taxi in West. Wash.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
Put in plastic bag and get as much air as possible. Try to keep feathers from bending and then place in freezer.
Good luck

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »
Michelle,
I have used the panty hose before and it seems like it is harder to keep the feathers correct. I have been told by some taxidermist to use them and others say no. I guess either way would work fine.

Offline Stape

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
This is one of those things that everybody has an opinion on, so heres mine.    I have a good deal of birds mounted, usually two per year, and have been told numerous times by taxidemists here and in other states across the nation not to put the bird in pany-hose.   Gently clean bird, simply put, no dirt or sticks, mud ect from the feild.  Let bird cool for an hour or two to let the body heat escape, fold birds head under wing, and when you get home, put bird into freezer zip-lock bag and place in freezer, preferably a deep freeze, the kind that doesn't manually defrost, then keep frozen until you get it to a taxidermist.  The reason for the head under the wing is that it protects the head.  Your taxidermist has lots of stuff in his freezer, and your bird stretched out and solidly frozen could very easily have its head/neck snapped off or broken like a twig in these freezers.   Not saying anyone os wrong, everyone has their way, but common sense is most important.   As for taxidermists on the west side.  I have had a few birds mounted by Eric of Erics northwest taxidermy.  He just set up his own place a year or so ago, no nice galleries or studios, but I gave him a shot and damn if he didn't turn out some of my best mounts, the detail and care he put into them is notewrothy.   He will do some more for me this year also, and probably even when I get stationed elsewhere.   Also, another guy I am going to try this year is birdmanstudios at birdmanstudios.com, look up his sight, hes an avid wildllife photographer and he only mounts birds, thats it, and his site shows some amazing work, at first look, youd think the guy would charge 400+ for his work, but it's only 275 for ducks, any pose, he has the typical 7-9mo turnaround, but he will expidite your bird, 90 days or less for an extra 100 for those who don't want to wait that long.  Simply ship your bird to him, decide on a pose, when it's done, payment is due and he ships it wherever you want, fully insured.  No payment up front, just freeze, pack it in newspaper for insulation and overnight or 2d day it to him in colorado.  Hes usually available by phone, pleasant guy to talk to.    For those leary of sending a bird out or want to deal local though, I highly recommend Eric, I get the most praise on the birds that he has mounted vs all others I have.

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
Guys... Honestly I would not even think of sending anyone to any taxidermist other than Tundras Offshore Taxidermy.  All he does is bird mounts and does a great job... I have pics on my website at the bottom of the hunt page of a long tail and a harli he did for a friend of mine... and the prices are very low and the turn around time is the fastest I have ever seen both his birds were done within a month.

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
stape... you are right on with the prep that is what every taxidermist i have ever talked to has told me also.  :tup:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
How long will they keep before the bird is no longer good?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
1 year is fine without any problems.  2 years you start to degrade and will start to have issues.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks all, I've got four or five Taxi's in mind,just need to meet them and see their work.

I ended up sliding the goose in panty hose,wrapping in newspaper,freezing,and then garbage sacked.

Does anyone know why using panty hose is not a good idea?
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline SpencerUSMC

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »
Erics    Also, another guy I am going to try this year is birdmanstudios at birdmanstudios.com, look up his sight, hes an avid wildllife photographer and he only mounts birds, thats it, and his site shows some amazing work, at first look, youd think the guy would charge 400+ for his work, but it's only 275 for ducks, any pose, he has the typical 7-9mo turnaround, but he will expidite your bird, 90 days or less for an extra 100 for those who don't want to wait that long.  Simply ship your bird to him, decide on a pose, when it's done, payment is due and he ships it wherever you want, fully insured.  No payment up front, just freeze, pack it in newspaper for insulation and overnight or 2d day it to him in colorado.  Hes usually available by phone, pleasant guy to talk to.    For those leary of sending a bird out or want to deal local though, I highly recommend Eric, I get the most praise on the birds that he has mounted vs all others I have.

That is where I am sending my Harlequin.....Called and left him a message today, it should only be $250 I think that is what the site said.  Anyways how was the end of the season for you Curtis??  Sorry we didn't get to hook up for another hunt this year, def. have to do it again next year.  We are gonna find some damn Canvasbacks, thats next on the list.

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:48 AM »
the reason not to use pantyhose from what a taxidermist told me is that the neck becomes fragile when it is stretched out straight and he said he hates working with them like that.  also he said it makes the feathers harder to work with while skinning as they are compressed... dont know personally just what i was told.

btw i think tundras offshore taxidermy is only $175 or $200 for a mount and his work rivals birdman studios... i have seen work from both and i honestly think tundras is just as good for less $$$ just my .02

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
the reason not to use pantyhose from what a taxidermist told me is that the neck becomes fragile when it is stretched out straight and he said he hates working with them like that.  also he said it makes the feathers harder to work with while skinning as they are compressed... dont know personally just what i was told.

I've skinned birds frozen inside pantyhose, plastic bags, and newspaper.  All of them were the same when skinning.

What do panty hose have to do with the neck being stretched out?  Tuck the head under the wing then slide them into panty hose.  If you put them in a plastic bag your going to remove the air any way.  That will compress feathers too.

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »
i guess the neck thing was that most guys when putting them in pantyhose they put them in head first leaving the neck stretched out not tucking it under the wing before puting it in... as for the feather thing i am not sure... like I said this is just what i was told.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »
Fortunately I tucked the head under the wing and I hope the panty hose is not an issue with the taxi I choose.
I think on my next bird i'll try vacuum sealing it.
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline Professor Chaos

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »
IMO the best taxidermist in WA is Nancy Mulligan from Shelton.  She does amazing work.  I have some wood ducks done by her and couldnt be happier with them. 
Bringer of Destruction and Doom

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
I chose Nancy Mulligan. I've got 5 bird's there now and plan to take 9 more to her soon.

Offline GettysNWGuiding

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
when vaccum sealing be sure to put tissue or something on the nails as i tried sealing once and the toe nails went through the bag and the bird went bad :bash: i was not a happy camper as it was my first harli

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
Damn dude, thats a big taxi bill.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]