collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote traps removed from Discovery Park  (Read 2463 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Coyote traps removed from Discovery Park
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:29:47 AM »
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/348555_traps24.html

Coyote traps removed from Discovery Park
By BRAD WONG
P-I REPORTER

The federal government removed coyote traps next to Discovery Park on Wednesday after city of Seattle officials and neighbors voiced concern about injury to people and pets.

An area resident asked the company that manages the federal property next to the park to set the traps after coyote sightings were recently reported in the park and next to it, Seattle Parks and Recreation reported.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture granted the company permission to set the traps, and two were set in an area known as the "Washington Avenue Properties."

Residents on Tuesday contacted city officials, who on Wednesday informed the state Department of Fish and Wildlife about their concerns. City officials also asked that the trap permit be revoked.

The 534-acre park, which is the city's largest, is located at 3801 W. Government Way. It occupies most of the former Fort Lawton site.

City officials said they do not set traps or harm wildlife on public property.

P-I reporter Brad Wong can be reached at 206-448-8137 or bradwong@seattlepi.com.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
Re: Coyote traps removed from Discovery Park
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »
A Veterinarian I used to work for lived right next to Discovery Park. One morning she found a Fox in a staring contest with her two cats, at a rock hard 23lbs each her cats can hold their own. Seriously these kitties were like cougars in a tabby suit. Still she got worried because of the varmits behavior unafraid, a little out of it, she thought Distemper?

Well being the crafty gal she is, she got a blow gun and some darts to load with her own "solution" I left for a new job about then don't know what happened.  The yotes have been in that park for many years, up to Carkeek too.  If you lose a cat or small dog in Magnolia or along the water up to Shoreline there's a better than average chance a 'yote got it.

The News story doesn't suprise me, it's the lefty part of a lefty town. Let'em eat a few more cats in front of the kids and they'll want the traps back.  Now if I hadn't sold that .22 Air Pistol...

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Coyote traps removed from Discovery Park
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »
 Dept. of Ag. actually sets the traps, they contract to the WDFW for Coyote control and other wildlife issues. The City has to realize that as the population continues to grow, every year in Puget Sound we have more and more Coyote incident's. I had to stop on the way to work one day last year to help a guy out that was being chased by one. Coyote control was another one affected by the trapping initiative, the traps they can use now have limited affect. In my opinion, if people's pet's are straying into a non-lethal trap and can be released, it's a non-issue, particularly as there is a State leash law in affect, perhaps the City ought to address that issue.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]