collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: # of Spring Bear Permits in SE WA  (Read 7595 times)

Offline tucannon_coug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
# of Spring Bear Permits in SE WA
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
I am getting ready to put in my spring bear tag and I noticed that there is a pretty noticeable decline in the number of tags available this year for the SE units. They dropped the number of tags for the SE from 155 to 115. Does anybody have any clues to why this is? I know that the hunter success rate in the spring is better than that of the fall, but I wouldn’t think it would be that much better. Any thoughts?

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: # of Spring Bear Permits in SE WA
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
Where did you find the numbers? 
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline tucannon_coug

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
I got the numbers from WDFW Game Harvest Web Site:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/index.html

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
I commented on this to WDFW last year when they posted these numbers, they claim the bear population in the blues is on a decline, I think they're full of it.
You old sailor you, you motor boatin' son of a bitch

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:48:56 AM »
I commented on this to WDFW last year when they posted these numbers, they claim the bear population in the blues is on a decline, I think they're full of it.

If the bear pop is on the decline, it's only because the bear and cougars have hammered the deer and elk herds... :bash: :bash: :bash:
The friggin' Blues are lousy with bears.  I had one trail cam out this late summer and got 5 DIFFERENT bears on it.  Look at a herd of cow elk in May, almost every cow has a calf.  Look at the same group in September  and count the claves...>:( >:( >:(  It's enough to make you want to eat your own face...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »

If the bear pop is on the decline, it's only because the bear and cougars have hammered the deer and elk herds... :bash: :bash: :bash:
The friggin' Blues are lousy with bears.  I had one trail cam out this late summer and got 5 DIFFERENT bears on it.  Look at a herd of cow elk in May, almost every cow has a calf.  Look at the same group in September  and count the claves...>:( >:( >:(  It's enough to make you want to eat your own face...

well said!

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
I couldn't agree more, they cut the cow tags in blue creek from 75 to 25 and cut the spring bear permits, if you've got a decline in the elk wouldn't it stand to reason you've got an incline in bears and cougars.  The biologist drove through the blues once didn't see any bears so the population must be down.  Total BS.  I had the same thing on my cameras this year lots of different bears.  I'd put money on it that there is no decline in bear numbers whatsoever.

Offline tucannon_coug

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
I have been looking through the 2009 Game Status and Trend Report and in the WDFW's own words:

“The black bear population in the Blue Mountains appears to be stable.”

They also state that because of the School Fire and Columbia Complex fires a few years ago that excellent habitat for bears has been created in the Blues. There is no indication that there is any decline or health issues that would relate to the number of tags being issued.

Just as a side note, the 2009 winter elk survey reported the highest number of bulls in the Blues since they started counting in 1992 (697 total bulls, with 531 those being Adult bulls). Also the Bull-per-100-cows ratio is the highest it has been since 1992 (23 bulls per 100 cows) and the calf-cow ratio is also near a high at 29 calves per 100 cows. Hopefully we will start seeing the number of tags go up based on the last couple of years.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
i know 3 people in the last 2 years that have eaten spring bear tag soup with lick creek tags.
2 of them saw bears, 1 didn't even see a bear and all of them covered a pretty good amount of country.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
“The black bear population in the Blue Mountains appears to be stable

That's not the response I got to my survey comments.  If that's true why did they cut the permit numbers.

Offline tntklundt

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »
Where are you finding info on spring bear for this year for applying for special permits?  I must be going blind because I can't find it on the WDFW web site.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt

Offline tntklundt

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
Thank you

Offline KillerMiller

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Maybe the fall harvest called for a reduction in the spring permits (i.e. overall harvest). :twocents:

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
I have been looking through the 2009 Game Status and Trend Report and in the WDFW's own words:

“The black bear population in the Blue Mountains appears to be stable.”

They also state that because of the School Fire and Columbia Complex fires a few years ago that excellent habitat for bears has been created in the Blues. There is no indication that there is any decline or health issues that would relate to the number of tags being issued.

Just as a side note, the 2009 winter elk survey reported the highest number of bulls in the Blues since they started counting in 1992 (697 total bulls, with 531 those being Adult bulls). Also the Bull-per-100-cows ratio is the highest it has been since 1992 (23 bulls per 100 cows) and the calf-cow ratio is also near a high at 29 calves per 100 cows. Hopefully we will start seeing the number of tags go up based on the last couple of years.

29 calves per 100 cows  :yike: damn thats a low rate

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand