collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new to hunting help  (Read 3647 times)

Offline zach1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
new to hunting help
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »
Im new to hunting. I have done my hunter ed and i want to go deer hunting this next season.
If any one has any good areas to hunt or any good tips for a new person like me it would help.
I live in the puyallup area but would travel any where in the state.
I have a remington 742 in 308 and a mossberg 500 im going to get a slug barrel so i think that covers modern firearms.  thank you for your time

Offline washelkhntr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: new to hunting help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »
Welcome to the site. Might want to go and introduce yourself in the introductions section and then start cruising all the posts, there is a plethera of information on here.
"Once a Chief, always a Chief. Retired and Proud."

Offline Snowman

• Longhunter
  • If only it was easy, than it wouldn't be a journey
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hang around awhile add a few more posts and eventually some one will help you out. I'm a little more north and haven't spent much time in your area. Some good hunting around there though. Tons of info floating around here.   :)
Hunting and Fishing is not what I do. But who I am...

Offline oneezreiter

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
Welcome, you are going to want to take a look around the sight and tell people about yourself before you start asking about hunting areas.  Other wise it could get ugly.
Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." 

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline zach1234

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »
i went a head and put up a post in the introductions spot.
i was not trying to take any ones spot to hunt i was talking more in general terms you know like oly penninsula lake chelan mt rainier that kind of thing hope i did not make any one to mad.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
No ones mad. Stick around for a while I'm sure someone will give you some good advice. Got a ways to go till next season so stick around and enjoy yourself in the mean time. We see lots of new guys come around. Some stay and some go. The guys who stick around always end up getting a bit of help.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 07:22:48 PM »
hey zack,how old are you?you can get out around wilkenson,or up to the greenwater area..watch your vehical{thieves}.Im thinking of going into the wilkenson area for bobs..might be able to show you some thing...

Offline huntlakewood

• Longhunter
  • Lets go hunt
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
Hey Zach new to the site too waving a hand there is always Vail tree farm out side of rainier open on the weekends only and you have to drive in and out every day ( which S**** )  I have hunted there all my life with my family have killed a lot of Deer there. I would be very aware of your surroundings cause there are a lot of hunters up there gets really crazy some times. I think the local stores have maps of the logging roads too.
Do too the people you might use this as the last resort cause it truly does get crazy sometimes. :dunno: :dunno:
Hanging and Hunting

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
if your serious about learning and soaking up as much info as possible, using the search feature will keep you busy reading for at least a month or 2. im not kidding.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
howdy, wish i new some areas to point you in but i don't know that area. good luck to you some great people here that should be able to point you in a decent direction
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Grizzly95

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
Hey there, welcome aboard. I am not as knowledgable as the folks on here, been stuck in a fog for too many years so I am getting myself back to hunting. I grew up chasing pheasant mostly, the deer and elk I am still rookie status in my opinion. If you ever get the desire to check out the east side (Spokane, Deer Park, Newport areas) look me up, got an open door. I archery hunt, but my wife and daughter plan to take hunters ed this year and will rifle hunt.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
I live in Puyallup  as well your not far from chasing some blacktails.  I hunt the Stormking unit.  There are a lot of deer in that unit, just not many big boys that I have seen.  You cant go to wrong anywhere around that unit from what I have seen just spend some time glassin clearcuts and you'll spot some deer.

Offline bonecrusher

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »
i saw a huge 3x3 with eye gaurds in the storm king last year. lots of public land too

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »
 :hello: Welcome to the site Z :hello:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
Hey Zach,

Puyallup is only an hour away from Shelton where I know of a lot of bucks being taken. Behind the mill is always a good spot.
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline Dmanmastertracker

• Frontiersman
    • Flickr Photo Album
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Im new to hunting. I have done my hunter ed and i want to go deer hunting this next season.
If any one has any good areas to hunt or any good tips for a new person like me it would help.
I live in the puyallup area but would travel any where in the state.
I have a remington 742 in 308 and a mossberg 500 im going to get a slug barrel so i think that covers modern firearms.  thank you for your time

Congrats to you for completing hunter's ed, I took a firearm's safety course back east as a kid but it doesn't count for anything in this State. I don't know what you've done for scouting prior, but it's pretty critical to get out and just spend a lot of time in the area's you intend to hunt, before you hunt them. The hunting part of it is fairly simple, the scouting, patterning and planning is most of the work. From Puyallup you have a lot of good blacktail options anywhere within two hours of you.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
Zach, how about a bit of a bio? What kind of outdoor experience do you have? Backpacking, camping, off and on trail? New to guns, hunting, packing or all of it? I know everyone likes to talk about guns but that's probably the least important part of your tool kit when you get started. Nice to know it and shoot it well but at first whether you have a $3500 rig or just an out the box Savage your results aren't going to be different.

I'd argue that the time you can commit to learn an area  is more important than the area at first. So probably nearby locations are worth the time even if the stats don't say it's the best. Pick an area and dive into it. If you're not good with off trail navigation spend some time learning compass/map/gps. Get off roads and trails go to places that are hard to reach, even if nearby, and be there early and late. Before long you start to put it together. It's no joke that most won't even get a few hundred yards off a road without a trail (most of those don't reside on this MB) so there's far far more huntable ground throughout the state than even the maps suggest.

Maybe pick an area and scout it a bit, then come back and describe the terrain, slope faces, cuts, distances from roads, locations of other  notables and ask for general how would you approach this scenario questions. Works better than "point me toward a unit or area." How too's get a lot more response than where too's.

Offline Dipsnort

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:40 PM »
When I began hunting I had very little idea where to start as well.  I found that the annual harvest report published by the WDFW provided excellent information about which areas of the state had the best success rates for any given game animal.  Based on that information, additional research and getting out to scout areas open to the public I was able to find good areas.  It doesn't happen overnight.

This site can be a good resource but don't use it as your only source of information and, as has been suggested, you'll find that treading very lightly when asking for specific areas here will keep you in good graces with the mob...uh, I mean the forum members. ;)

Offline MissinCaliBlacktails

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
Newbie!!!! Get em!!!    :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:
Im new to, just what i have noticed
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]