Advertisement

Author Topic: Land?  (Read 9664 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: So Who Owns That Land?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
A lot of farmers in my experience don't care much for the camoed up hero look.  Dress the way you normally do when not hunting.  You'll do a lot better asking weeks or months before the season, than immediately before or during the season. 

Exactly ;)

OK ....Captain Under Armor...LOL

Hey.........you better be nice or I'll be posting your baby picture again. :chuckle:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline turkeydancer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Been doing the auditors site for years ... sent out letters with return stamped envelopes, and now have persmission from half the county.    :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

I give the landowner a business card when I introduce myself ... I never argue with them ... I don't promise them anything, but I do ensure they get a nice thank you gift (deer or elk meat ... salmon or trout ... a gift card ... a bottle of their favorite beverage ... etc) after the hunt (before I head home) whether successful or not.
They have always asked me back the next year right then and there.  Basically talk to them and treat them as you would want to treat them.  It is amazing how the word about you will spread to the neighbors, they will stop and talk with you, and extend an invite for you to also hunt their property.  Soon you have more land to hunt than you will be able to ever hunt.
 :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:30:12 PM by turkeydancer »

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
I have used the assessor page for other forms of research, but for asking permission to hunt.......  If I asked someone how they got my info and they told me that, I would trespass them from my property for life.  Seems like a stalker move to me. IMO  Personally it pisses me off all that info is posted online for everyone to see, so much for privacy.   
Will hunt for food.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »
I have used the assessor page for other forms of research, but for asking permission to hunt.......  If I asked someone how they got my info and they told me that, I would trespass them from my property for life.  Seems like a stalker move to me. IMO  Personally it pisses me off all that info is posted online for everyone to see, so much for privacy.    

Just my opinion..I would you rather have someone ask than someone trespass? At least an attempt is being made.  Property Parcel info has been out for years...easily obtainable on the internet now, but in the past a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request was made and the county was required to provide info only relative to the request...the online system nowadays just saves them the hassle of having to provide it.  The downside is everyones info is out there and is easily obtainable.  I show neighbors everything about there property..they are shocked.  Nowadays with GIS systems the information layers available to the public are amazing.  

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:31:39 PM by bobcat »
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
A lot of farmers in my experience don't care much for the camoed up hero look.  Dress the way you normally do when not hunting.  You'll do a lot better asking weeks or months before the season, than immediately before or during the season.  

Exactly ;)

OK ....Captain Under Armor...LOL

Hey.........you better be nice or I'll be posting your baby picture again. :chuckle:

HHEHEHEHE  Never fear cause Captain Under Armour is here!  LOL
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
Yelp, I agree with your statement about asking rather then trespassing.  Just don't like the idea of my personal info on the net like it is.  I just have never been one to ask for permisson to hunt, guess thats why I don't have permisson to hunt any private lands  :dunno: 

Can't wait for spring turkey season thought !   :IBCOOL:
Will hunt for food.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
Yelp, I agree with your statement about asking rather then trespassing.  Just don't like the idea of my personal info on the net like it is.  I just have never been one to ask for permisson to hunt, guess thats why I don't have permisson to hunt any private lands  :dunno: 

Can't wait for spring turkey season thought !   :IBCOOL:

I can't wait either..you hunt in the Okanogan?

Born to Yelp!

Offline DeerHarvester

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
Yeah, probably around  chillawist this year. 
Will hunt for food.

Offline Skycruiser

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
Good post, Sundance. Thanks.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
I'm not a big fan of all the info out there for God and everybody ... but when you live a 7 hour drive away and have a job that eats time like mine, it's hard to get over and meet & greet people.  I can assure you my letters were a well written introduction about me and mine.  I haven't had any negative responses from the many people who answered me whether permission was granted or not. The ones who have granted me permission have become good friends and their turkey problems alleviated ... as I said treat them and their land as you would want to be treated.   :twocents:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »
Just bring the clip on tie and nice shirt.  They won't mind that it's tucked into some camo pants.  First impression goes a long way.  If your sporting one tooth in the front, here's your sign.   They may give you someone else to ask another county away.  Technology is great.  I can bring the lap top out hunting and still get the needed work done.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
sadly whitman county doesn't have this interactive map feature  :(
I hunt for peace of mind.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
sadly whitman county doesn't have this interactive map feature  :(

Several counties lack high tech GIS data systems, and they are all a little different..but they will have to conform some day.  Whitman?County you have to Old School it..go to the county assessors office in Colfax on Main st with your legal descriptions and see if they can help.

Born to Yelp!

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »
To get permission you have to be polite, respectfull, and look normal.  Polite means courteous, no swearing, no smell of alcohol, barking dogs, etc.  Wear you clothes that look decent, but not hillbilly, no camo, no suit and tie. If they say no they most of the time mean it, and they talk to there neighbors. Not all of your conversation should be about hunting/fishing, what do you have in common,have they a vehiclelike yours to talk about, etc.

I find that a lot of concern is safety.  They have cattle, kids, dogs, etc.  I try to hunt week days, away from buildings, when the kids are in school. If they don't like highpowered rifles and you are a archer you have a advantage, muzzle loader helps but not as much.

If you do get  permission, find out when and where to park, if you can bring others, and any other limitations.  They don't want you waking them with noise early or late, don't want gates, roads or access blocked. If they say they don't  want does shot, don't, even if legal. You can find the opposite   that they want does taken, but not bucks or no big bucks.  They have family and friends or hunt them selves. RESPECT there wishes. I have found several farmers that do not want coyotes shot, they eat mice and gophers, others say shoot them all.If you find a land owner that hates turkeys, they may encourage you to shoot all you can, hens and tom's, be legal.

I have a large garden, I always when in season, drop off some squash, berries, corn, or some thing. A friend of mine gets the large tins of mixed nuts from Costco to leave after the hunt, or season.  I like the vegetables as it gives me a reason to stop in the next summer with a dozen ears of fresh corn, some blue or strawberries or something.  I have additional contact and it all helps.

You will still have surprises.  I have a neighbor 1/2 mile away who let me and my wife deer hunt on his place. We each took a deer.  I ask him the next year and he said "I think not".  A neighbor chewed him out for letting us hunt, because the neighbor thought it should be saved for his kids. It is a never ending process, I have lost 7 spots in the past about four years, due to, two land owner deaths, new houses being build etc. A friend hunted geese on a highschool  classmates for many years, he lost access when he didn't pick up the empty shell after one trip, since they were going to hunt the next day and he planned on picking up then. Leave the land as you found it or better.

I  ran into a woman I went to highschool with.  She is from a hunting family, she said she wishes they would close all hunting because of the misery it causes farm owners. Trespassing, shot cattle, fences broken down, bullets through barn roof, gates left open, roads blocked, woke from sleep etc. You have to over come all these problems which are real to the land owners.  Once these events happen, they are not forgotten.

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Excellent post Hangfire !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]