collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scent deterents for predators question  (Read 3291 times)

Offline uplandhunter870

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Scent deterents for predators question
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
figured that the trappers among us would have the best ideas on this subject since scent is used in trapping to lure an animal to a trap.

anyhow i will be working along side a number of wildlife biologist this spring, both academic and professional, in conducting a wood duck survey. we will be conducting surveys as to nesting habits and reproduction of the ducks through the aid of nesting boxes constructed from plywood of sorts.  i havent learned all the specifics yet as we are just starting this survey for this year, but my biology professor here at the college is the lead bio on the survey was telling me that in years past they have had a large problem with predation of the ducks and their eggs/young from minks and raccoons.

ive been thinking of ways to prevent the animals from getting into the boxes such as using metal poles that dont offer any footing for the animals to climb them and also covering the box itself in sheet metal and then painting it to blend in/look natural not metalic.  but i think that the paint smell or odd looking wood box on a steel pole may not look appealing to the ducks and they wil not use the nesting box.

so i was wondering if if were possible to put down a type of scent around the base of the box/tree that would be unappealing to the animal on the ground and at the same time not be "stinky" to the ducks that will hopefully occupy the box

i will also be working in close proximity with a couple of local wardens and i do not have a trapping licsence.  so trapping them is out of the question,  even though i want to really bad especially the mink.

thanks
Steve

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Scent deterents for predators question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
When we put up boxes in WI we put a 24" piece of galvinized tin around the tree  halfway between the ground and the box.  Any scent deterent would have to be applied at a regular intervold and the preds would become used to it.

There are some products at the pet shops to keep cats and dogs out of the gardens, you could give that a shot.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
I agree with AWS about wrapping tin around the pole or tree the nest will be on.  Much like keeping porcupines from eating certain trees, or squirrels from robbing seed trees.  As for scents, I personally think I would be a waste of time, as I doubt it would be effective and it would take reapplications at frequent intervals.

Offline Hannibal

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
but i think that the paint smell or odd looking wood box on a steel pole may not look appealing to the ducks and they wil not use the nesting box.

I has been my experience that boxes sometimes take more then one year to become occupied

so i was wondering if if were possible to put down a type of scent around the base of the box/tree that would be unappealing to the animal on the ground and at the same time not be "stinky" to the ducks that will hopefully occupy the box

No It would be a waste of grant money

i will also be working in close proximity with a couple of local wardens and i do not have a trapping licsence.  so trapping them is out of the question,

Why is it out of the question then?

though i want to really bad especially the mink.

I have never seen a mink in a tree, and have requested info on a different site concerning the matter
Mink will eat the gosling yes......but unless you are over populated,,,It would not be a concern of mine,
Biggest threat to Aerial nesting birds I see is the Eastern Gray Squirrel to wood ducks.....the Raccoon
 Once any animal become accustom to raiding boxes the only way to prevent it is removal.
The longer you wait,,,,,, the more generational the problem becomes...... Meaning it becomes "Breed into them"

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:46:11 AM by Hannibal »

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
What about weasels?  You might want to get a trapper out there just to see what kinds of predators you have to deal with.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
Weasels aren't real big at getting into trees.  More of a ground critter and also more open ground desert/rock than swamp water as mink and coons are.

Best advice is what AWS said.  Though if a coon wants in, they are rather crafty.  You'll have to choose your trees wisely and you are limited to ones that the woodducks will choose in the first place.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
Quite frankly Starlings and magpies will be more of an issue

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
This subject is the very reason I could never support Ducks Unlimited.  I usually end up getting into a mild pissin match whenever they are at the sportsmen shows.  They refuse to back responsible predator management for fear of loosing their PETA and movie star supporters.  They would not back the NTA at all.  I have always given my support to Delta Ducks, they promote not only habitat restoration and preservation but effective predator management through trapping.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:46:16 PM »
thanks for the input everyone. 

to answer a couple of questions posted.  i will only be establishing 2 or 3 new boxes and will be monitoring about a dozen pre existing boxes.  i was thinking of applying the sheet metal to the boxes that are already there as they hang and do the work from a ladder. but im still kicking around ideas some are some what dumb but i just dont want to rule them out yet.

trapping is out of the question because i dont have a trappers licsence and last i checked you had to complete the trappers ed. course, which i havent done either.  so if i were to trap in these areas or at all i would be illegal as i do not have the proper papers.

thanks again everyone
Steve

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal