collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A little help from a trapper?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline btlsoom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
A little help from a trapper?
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
First of all, I am Randy, the one starting the new WWPHA (Western Washington Predator Hunting Association) What I am looking for is possibly for someone who is willing to donate some of their time to come to one of our meeting and give a talk on how to skin an animal, preserve the pelt, demonstrate basic tools, and what have you just in case some of our members want to preserve their hides.  The location of the next meeting is yet to be determined, but will be the first weekend in April.  If anyone can assist me in doing this, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks you,
Randy WWPHA
President Washington Predator Hunting Association
Call like you mean it and mean it when you call..
TC and PSE 4 ME

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: A little help from a trapper?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
Im not putting up my hides just freezing them for now...so not much help for ya there...I do know what to do,and have done up many before.But its alot of hassle for 15 dollars

Offline btlsoom

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »
OK, so would you possibly think about helping out with this project.  I do not know if any of them will ever save a pelt but just in case?  Just sort of a FYI class thing, nothing formal, just the pointers...  come on... think about it...

Thanks
Randy
President Washington Predator Hunting Association
Call like you mean it and mean it when you call..
TC and PSE 4 ME

Offline Hannibal

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:03 AM »
I suck at fur,,,,,But .....I bet i could get someone from the WSTA to help me make a video........We could offer it to "your guys" free with a New Membership? And make it available at the convention in Cashmere the end of Aug?  (pending WSTA board approval)

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
I'm thinking that you would prefer a "guest" speaker, but if that is not forthcoming, then you might want to just get a DVD called "Practical Fur Handling".
[smg id=6490]

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
Randy I'll come down with all my equipment, but don't have any fresh critters or a place to store one until your meeting.

Experience:

X MN trappers ed instructor,  X MN Trappers district director, X semi pro trapper (1/3 of my annual income from trapping), used to put up beaver for other trappers to ship to auction.

Some of the coyotes I've done after returning from tannery.

I have no experience with bobcates, otter, or nutria.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
I used to do a lot of trapping and did all the hide fleshing myself with a knife. The one thing you can do is search the info on youtube. There is a wealth of knowledge on it.
Search: how to skin a coon, how to flesh a coon etc. If you are computer savvy, you can show this at the meeting. I'm not your computer man.

You may be amazed at what you find. I wish I had access to all that in the '70s.

Perhaps somebody could get a coon and save it for you. They turn on a lot of motion sensor lights and are easy to get. One could be frozen till then or skinned and then frozen for the session. Just remember to thaw it about 3 days in advance since they thaw slowly. Maybe Rasbo has a coon in the freezer. I usually toss mine these days but I do get some real beauties.

The motion sensor light works great to get one. Just wait till on turns it on, then run out and run the coon up a tree. They go up a tree easily if they are not too habituated to people. Then lower the boom!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »
maybe one of you guys could call in a dog or bob,and freeze it..then let sombody skin it at your meeting :dunno:I like to skin my stuff right away,so nothing but frozen bodies in the freezer for bait.. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal