collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nooksack herd  (Read 10097 times)

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Nooksack herd
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
Has anyone ever hunted this herd?  I know its been closed for some time.  I remember a long time ago seeing a picture in F&H news of a 8x9 that was killed up there, the thing was huge.  There is the new permits in there that look pretty appealing to a guy.

Offline searchnfor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Nooksack herd
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:45 AM »
 I heard the access into the areas is limited. A timber company from Cali. took it over a couple years ago and  doesn't allow anyone including their own employess to drive behind gates to hunt. Its a long walk or horse ride. 

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
Kind of curious about this area myself.  I see they added some tags for every weapons group which could be some good hunting.  Nobody has any info on this area and elk herd?

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 06:35:20 PM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/elk/nooksack_final.pdf

check out the final draft on the departments page, it gives you a general area of the herd and it's numbers.  there's a map of the core area of the herd on page 12 and that will give you a place to start. starting around the damage area around sedro woolley and work north from there.  it will definitely be a great elk hunt and i know there are a good number of elk.  talk to biologists/game wardens and they can help you out.  i know a gamey and he told me to apply for archery, muzzleloader, and rifle in there since i got the any season tag, he really likes it, and knows where they are.  they are having a hard time dealing with the elk damage up there, so there's got to be some elk around.  that's what i've heard, i've never been up there myself, but i did put in for the muzzleloader hunt up there during the rut, but not holding out for getting drawn.

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
Thanks Olthunter, some great info and places to start.  Much appreciated.  I'm also looking at the muzzleloader hunt, but that archery hunt might be a real good season, if I only had that multi-season tag.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
I talked to a bio this last week, it is going to be a really good hunt, access might be tricky but there are some real big bulls in there.

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:59:01 PM »
Ridgerunner, I read on another post of your that you drew a big bull tag last year.  Assuming Yakima, and how did it turn out if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:38:07 PM »
The Yakima tags were tough last year, the dry weather really had the elk displaced, I saw two branch antlered bulls(rag bulls), and a few spikes, nothing I wanted to punch the tag on.  Pretty disappointing but that is the chance you take with that tag.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »
From the WDFW notice today, I wonder why they will have the session before anyone pulls the tag?

June 6, 2007

Information session scheduled
on Nooksack elk hunts

MOUNT VERNON - Elk hunts planned this fall in Game Management Unit 418 (Nooksack) will be discussed here June 20 during an informational open house sponsored by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

The public session is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at the CottonTree Inn, 2300 Market Street, in Mount Vernon. WDFW enforcement officers and wildlife managers will be available to answer questions about Nooksack elk and the interim fall state and tribal hunts.

The proposal would allow 30 elk to be taken by state and tribal hunters.

After several years of joint recovery work by WDFW and Point Elliott treaty tribes, the once-depleted Nooksack elk herd has grown in numbers large enough to allow for limited hunting, said Dave Ware, WDFW game division manager.

Since 2003, state and tribal wildlife managers have relocated about 80 elk from the Mount St. Helens area to the Nooksack River watershed. Efforts to rebuild the herd also included projects to improve elk forage and a decade-long moratorium on hunting. The herd has rebounded from a low of about 300 animals to between 600 and 700 today.

"This meeting is an opportunity for hunters and others interested in Nooksack elk to discuss the herd, as well as interim state and tribal hunts in Game Management Unit 418 this season," Ware said.   

The Nooksack herd, one of 10 in Washington state, ranges in scattered groups near the south fork of the Nooksack River. 
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »
Chances of going to the meeting and then drawing a tag................slim to none.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 07:45:17 PM »
Sounds like the herd is on the recovery which is nice to hear.  I agree, chances of drawing that tag will be tough.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
I think access is going to be an issue, tell everyone not to put in for the tag, it'd be great to draw but would be a waste of all their points, lol.

Offline heavy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
I know the area quite well and have been up in there and seen all the elk....the timber companies are keeping people out....Lack of access is the biggest challenge...

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
Anybody on the board going to the meeting on the 20th.  I'd love to go, but it's to long of a drive for a tag I probably will not draw.

Offline johnsc6

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
I live where the herd is, access will be walk, horse bike, no camping unless the wdfw makes a deal with seirra pacific (new land owner).  But their are some huge bulls in there if you get drawn.  Only discouraging part will be 1/2 the tags go to the local tribe and they will be driving behind the gates.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]