collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2007 toutle/marg. tags grrrr!  (Read 12601 times)

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
2007 toutle/marg. tags grrrr!
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »
Just looked at the new regs and saw what I was afraid of for the toutle and margaret. They added a bunch of cow tags to the archery hunt at the same time as the bull hunts. They did move it back to Sept 15-30 which is good for more into the rut and more chance of rain to help the fire danger issue but throwing in the cow tags at the same time stinks. I would rather have them in there the two weeks before and stir things up than have them all at the same time. Oh well the timeframe sure sounds good just wish there were bigger bulls like the eastside has to offer. Also for these tags if you aren't successful in sept. you can go back in Nov for a late hunt which is also a new thing. What do you think? nwhunter

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: 2007 toutle/marg. tags grrrr!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:02:51 AM »
I was excited about the late season option for those units, but I did not notice the cow hunts at the same time. I was going to apply for them this year, but now I have to rethink.

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »
Wait all these years to draw one of these tags and now you have cow hunters in there on your quality hunt.  I don't know what they were thinking. :dunno: 

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
Thinking your gonna have company like everbody else :chuckle: :dunno:  Just go enjoy the hunt :brew:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »
Hunt them smart if you draw, I can give you what worked for me, I have drawn both tags, also now with all the gates ,I would think it should be a lot better.
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »
I put in for muzzleloader Toutle, bull and cow. Both are the same early season, but there are only a total of 101 permits, so that's really not bad for a unit of that size. The only bad thing for me is that there will be a lot of archery hunters in there ahead of me. Unless, of course, Weyerhaeuser has it shut down during archery season for fire danger. But that's another thing that concerns me is that the whole unit could still be closed during early muzzleloader season. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:35:42 AM »
MADMAX what years did you draw your tags and how did you end up doing?  Seems getting drawn is the real tough part to those hunts.  Bobcat, good luck on your draw, were those the only two choices you put down?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
rackattack,  I did Toutle Bull for #1, and the Toutle Cow for #3. My second choice was a cow permit in another part of the state which is a late hunt. I couldn't put in for Margaret, as my hunting partner is putting in for the same hunts, and it wouldn't work very well if one of us drew Margaret and the other Toutle.

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Bobcat, I know the feeling.  With all these new cow opportunities, it would be pretty easy to have a group, or friends split among different units. 

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:18:38 AM »
I drew Margaret AHE in 97(heavy 5x5) and Toutle in 1999 (3x3)
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:26:22 AM »
Yeah, we had a hard time deciding whether to apply together, or separately. But we decided it would be better to increase our odds of at least one of us getting a permit by applying separately. Besides, my brother has 3 points, and I only have 1. And we'll still hunt together even if only one of us has a tag, and really, I don't think I'd want to pack out two elk on one hunt anyway. For deer we did apply as partners, but that's different, deer hunting to me is for fun, while elk hunting is sometimes more work than it is fun.  :chuckle:

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:49:25 AM »
They should have left the early season for permitted bull hunters and gave out the cow permits for the late season. Heck any time except for during a permit bull rut hunt! :dunno: They've been doing the same thing with the rifle cow tags, holding the cow permit season during the general rifle season.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 07:50:31 PM »
Bobcat,from what the WDFW told me it is usually better to put in as a group esp if you only have 1 point. They add all the group members points and square them.(this is how they pull for single tags as well)I think for elk you can have 12 people to a group. So in your case you guys would have 4 total points,so your group would go through the system 16 times. If you applied separately your name would only go through once and your buddy would go through 9 times. We are going to put in as a group for a Margaret and toutle bull tag with 13 total points for a total of a 169 times through the system. They started the weighted points system in 1996 so the most points per person could only be 11. Hope this helps!!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline rackattack

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »
Funkster, I think you may have read something wrong. When you put in for a group they average the points for all the group then square them.  So if you had 4 and a buddy had 2 then the average would be 3.  Square that and the group would have 9 chances.  Individually you would have had 16 and your buddy 4.  Otherwise it would not be fair to individuals that apply.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:09:46 PM »
Unless you have little points and your partners have lots, the better odds of being drawn go to the single apps. Especially if there is a small amount of permits and alot of people applying.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]