collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: DFW Commision Meeting in Leavenworth  (Read 13693 times)

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: DFW Commision Meeting in Leavenworth
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
Sadly, you're right that more sportsmen aren't active.  I still don't buy the "strong public input and support" line, however.

I would bet that a mojority of WA hunters don't have a clue that this is happening. 
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »
I would also bet your average joe blow hunter will see the changes and be pumped, they get to put in for bull and cow tags......they won't figure out there odds went down or they wont care really.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
Sadly you are probably right, Ridgerunner. Course some may not like having to spend $15 when before they only had to spend $5 for basically the same thing.

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
I would also bet your average joe blow hunter will see the changes and be pumped, they get to put in for bull and cow tags......they won't figure out there odds went down or they wont care really.

That is why the dept will see it as a success.  Cha ching $$$$$!
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »
The 70 out of 70,000 statistic is a lie and it IS the department's fault. How can you say it isn't? Nobody knew about the changes until a couple months ago. So they can't possibly say they got 70 comments out of 70,000 people a year ago on the changes... NOBODY knew what the changes were! If we had known a year ago, we could have sent letters then. But they wait until the changes are pretty much final, and then told us what they were! I hope there is total chaos the day before and the day of the deadline in May, and I hope they get an earful from all the many disgruntled people there are sure to be.

They didn't say that they sent out 70,000 emails a year ago they said that they sent them out right after the March game commission meeting. Sorry I didn't punctuate my original post correctly, I will go correct it.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
The 70 out of 70,000 comments is not the departments fault. Look at the letter writing campaign you tried to get going here, from what I saw on the poll responses there were less than 25 people who responded to that poll. That problem shows that we as sportsmen need to get more involved in trying to make changes. If we don't work for what we want, no one will do it for us.

Yeah that was I and  here is something I found in my old email from sometime in 2008. I remember I did participate and was not comfortable whith the way it seemed it was all headed then. My biggest problem was that ANYone, not  ( and with the type of mindset here in most of Pugetropolis  this could happen) just hunters could find this and ruin everything for us.
 If I remember right I forwarded it to everyone of like mind that I knew and posted it on Snowest, Huntingnet (I hadn't found this site yet) and AtV Connection and Pirate 4x4.
 AS for yesterday, I found that Gary Douvia seems to be our best friend on the Commission, and that It is no accident that the Comission is forced to make decisions on too short of notice based on information taken on faith from people I relly have doubts can be trusted .

Here it is....June '08 I'll have more  later
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

June 23, 2008

WDFW invites hunters, others to help ..........................................................................OTHERS!!
develop hunting seasons for 2009-11

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is inviting hunters, conservation groups and the general public to help shape state hunting seasons for 2009-11.

Through July 13, WDFW will accept public comments on issues ranging from general hunting hours to mule deer seasons.  A questionnaire on those issues is posted on the department's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasonsetting/index.htm .

Hunters and others can also suggest their own ideas for future hunting seasons, said Dave Ware, WDFW game manager.

"This is the first of several opportunities people will have to participate in developing hunting seasons for the next three years," Ware said.  "We have certain management goals that we must meet, but we want to involve hunters and other members of the public in helping us determine how best to achieve them."

Once the first comment period is over, WDFW will assess recommendations received from the public and use them in developing various season alternatives and proposed hunting regulations for 2009-11, Ware said.

In mid-August, WDFW will post those alternatives for public comment on its website and kick off a series of public meetings throughout the state.  Evening meetings are planned Aug. 25 in Everett; Aug, 26 in Aberdeen; Aug. 27 in Tacoma; Aug. 28 in Vancouver, Wash.; Sept. 2 in Wenatchee; Sept. 3 in Spokane Valley; and Sept. 4 in Pasco. Specific times and locations of those meetings will be announced in July.

In March and April 2009, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission will take public comments and consider adopting the proposed hunting seasons.

WDFW will provide regular updates on the hunting season-setting process via the WDFW website noted above.  Interested citizens can also receive updates through the mail by calling (360) 902-2515 and asking to be added to the mailing

;

Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
Yeah that was I and  here is something I found in my old email from sometime in 2008.
...AS for yesterday, I found that Gary Douvia seems to be our best friend on the Commission, and that It is no accident that the Comission is forced to make decisions on too short of notice based on information taken on faith from people I relly have doubts can be trusted .
A couple questions: did that questionnaire say anything about the permitting changes they just implemented?  Second, I don't quite understand the comment about the commission having too short of notice.  According to Dave Ware they were told about this change last year.  I know that several individuals wrote the Commission (I did) and informed them of the problems with these changes.  If they know their sources cannot be trusted on faith, then why didn't they ask for information from other sources, or hold up the changes until they did?

Thanks for your information.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
[
A couple questions: did that questionnaire say anything about the permitting changes they just implemented?  Second, I don't quite understand the comment about the commission having too short of notice.  According to Dave Ware they were told about this change last year.  I know that several individuals wrote the Commission (I did) and informed them of the problems with these changes.  If they know their sources cannot be trusted on faith, then why didn't they ask for information from other sources, or hold up the changes until they did?

Thanks for your information.
[/quote]

#1 yes  there were  questions regarding that which seemed like were too vague, (And with the" hunters others" part on that alert) I found it best to answer all of the questions pertaining to answer :NO Changes
 They had questions aimed a limiting choices on an application and  reserving permits for out of state hunters (BIG money there) and the type of chit they just did.....to which I and all of my hunting buddies answered Leave it alone

#2  the question about procedures if a hunter was selected for 2 catagories in the same year was brought up by me to Gary Douvia at the break and he brought it up to Ware who seemed to say that a person would loose BOTH sets of points even though page  3 of the agenda book states.....

" IF AN APPLICANT MAKES A MISTAKE, APPLIES FOR THE WRONG HUNT, AND IS SUCCESSFULLY DRAWN, THE SPECIAL PERMIT CAN BE RETURNED TO THE DFW  OLYMPIA HEADQUARTERS BEFORE THE DAY OF THE SPECIAL HUNTING SEASON. THE APPLICANTS POINT WILL BE RESTORED TO THE LEVEL PRIOR TO THE PERMIT DRAWING"  Caps lock was a mistake -sorry
 Is that not descriminating???
#2 furthermore has to do with voting on setting SP goals and quotas without Mr Ware having the information that the changes are based on with him. Mr Douvia voted  no on these for deer and elk

more later

I was so into the 2a part that I actually missed where they voted to approve the S/P changes!  I actually took the book up to Dave Ware's table to show it to him.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:28:28 AM by Elkaholic daWg »
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
#2  the question about procedures if a hunter was selected for 2 catagories in the same year was brought up by me to Gary Douvia at the break and he brought it up to Ware who seemed to say that a person would loose BOTH sets of points even though page  3 of the agenda book states.....

" IF AN APPLICANT MAKES A MISTAKE..."

There is the key phrase: you must prove to WDFW that you made a mistake by applying in two categories.  Good luck.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
 I thought it was the ghost hunt number!!!! Can they PROOVE otherwise?
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
#2  the question about procedures if a hunter was selected for 2 catagories in the same year was brought up by me to Gary Douvia at the break and he brought it up to Ware who seemed to say that a person would loose BOTH sets of points even though page  3 of the agenda book states.....

There is the key phrase: you must prove to WDFW that you made a mistake by applying in two categories.  Good luck.

Sounds like it could be an issue. Maybe a loop hole for issues with the drawing system?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
#2  the question about procedures if a hunter was selected for 2 catagories in the same year was brought up by me to Gary Douvia at the break and he brought it up to Ware who seemed to say that a person would loose BOTH sets of points even though page  3 of the agenda book states.....

There is the key phrase: you must prove to WDFW that you made a mistake by applying in two categories.  Good luck.

I posted about this before on here. All a person has to do is lie and say he made a mistake, and the points will be restored. What proof would be required, other than somebody's word that he didn't intend to apply for that hunt?

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
 After the break Dave Ware presented the proposals to the commission. There was some discussion about the points and about 1 person drawing 2 different permits, but other than asking to have the people drawing 2 permits tracked this year to see if it was going to be a major concern the proposal passed unanimously. The commission did say that the system may have to be tweaked over the next couple of years, but for right now it stands as it was.

This should ony be a problem this year, especially if they have to rectify a lot of 'mistakes".

from the Agenda handout
 2 Open public input 9:50am     NOTE: during this portion of the meeting the public is encouraged to comment on issues NOT on the agenda for action or decision.

I thought I would get to talk to the commissioners during the break, of which only the man from Bearpaws neck of the woods was really receptive.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:53:06 AM by Elkaholic daWg »
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
I posted about this before on here. All a person has to do is lie and say he made a mistake, and the points will be restored. What proof would be required, other than somebody's word that he didn't intend to apply for that hunt?
Do you think that will work when WDFW is getting hundreds of these requests in June, and when they can see that you applied for those same permits in the past when they were in one category?

As for proving you made a mistake: it may be that you are guilty until proven innocent, and not the other way around.  Accepting permits back and restoring points may create headaches for the department they don't want to deal with.  Also, think about the number of undersubscribed hunts they may end up with.  Take a cow elk hunt with 10 permits. If 2 of the 10 that draw return their permits, there are only 8 permits out.

I hope you're right but we may need to wait and see. 

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
After the break Dave Ware presented the proposals to the commission. There was some discussion about the points and about 1 person drawing 2 different permits, but other than asking to have the people drawing 2 permits tracked this year to see if it was going to be a major concern the proposal passed unanimously.

The commission did say that the system may have to be tweaked over the next couple of years, but for right now it stands as it was.

This should ony be a problem this year, especially if they have to rectify a lot of 'mistakes".

Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech