collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 07 deer plans  (Read 21666 times)

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
07 deer plans
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
I am hoping to draw a Entiat bow tag but if that falls through again i will be hunting the westside of the state for blacktails.  Last year seen some dandy bucks in my area and only 1 of them got taken that i know of.  4x3 with 1 eyeguard.  Didnt get any close up pics last year. 

I know the pic doesnt do this 3 point any justice but it was over  60 yards away and my camera doesnt like to zoom.  You can still see how tall his rack is though.  I never got any pics of the perfect 4 point.  But hoping to with a trail cam. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: 07 deer plans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »
have you thought about the swakane late archery season?? if you don't draw the entiat tag, it's a general tag. good luck. that would be a great tag to have.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »
Yeah i thought about going over to the Swakane if i dont get drawn.  Lot of big bucks in there as well.  I will probally hunt it a few days if i dont get drawn.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »
Good luck with that Entait tag.  How many points do you have?  That late Swakane gets pretty crowded.  If you got a place to hunt some dandy blackies during the late season, I'd do that!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
I'm waiting to hear how the winter affected the mule deer numbers. I've got a feeling the population will be way down. If so, I may concentrate on blacktails close to home. I may even buy a tag in Oregon and do a blacktail hunt there. Been wanting to try that for years, just have never gotten around to it yet.

So does anybody have any reports on how our state's deer made it through the winter?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »
I have seen quite a bit while snowmobiling for cats and they look in good shape at this point.  What really takes a toll is a late season deep snow.  That can be the final straw.  But at least up in the Springdale area the snow has receded fairly rapidly and the deer I have been seeing are not looking too bad.

I am going back to the bow this year.  The past few years I have rifle hunted so I could spend quality time with my two boys.  Both of them are doing well so Dad is going back to bowhunting.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »
i saw about 25-30 whitetails 2 weeks ago around 3500' in the blue mountains, adults and fawns, all looked pretty fat and happy. saw -0- mule deer, but they usually leave that area for the winter and come back when it warms up.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
I haven't seen alot of deer kills yet, but they still have time to go.  I honestly think the numbers will be down, and thats what helped them this year.  I think the tough winter last year made for alot of single fawns, but they were big and strong, plus less numbers on the range, and the wet year with good forage.  I'm optimistic though the numbers will be low.  Tack on the big harvest of nice bucks the year before last with the extended late season and early snows.  Trophy hunting might be tough.  I didn't see many this year while photographing.
I'll be in Twisp for the general.  My fingers are crossed for the all season tag.  I'm in for Idaho for sure, and good odds for Montana.  I'm in for controlled hunts in Oregon, so could do archery down there if bored.  I'm to embarrassed to list  all the other places I am in for this year, but the odds are low on all of them.  My wife has a decent shot at the Idaho moose tag, so that might keep me busy.  I'm not holding my breath for any of the Washington draws.   

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »
I'm hoping for the multi-weapon tag as well, we'll see, we're in the processes of building a new house, moving time might come in October so that means hunting time might be at a premium this year.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
Where are you going to be living now Clint?

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »
We're moving out to Black Diamond.  With my limited time this year I might need to hire you as a guide, lol.  You always seem to do well.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:11:26 AM »
Well I plan to hunt the late archery as my job most likely won't allow me to hunt the Sept. season.  Hoping to draw in either CO or ID with my old man for one last hunt (and as a senior present) before I sign up for the Army next winter...  Any tips on what units are good for a rifle hunt... pm me please... Thanks.

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 06:34:46 AM »
Good as in being drawn, or good as in trophy quality?  The good thing about Idaho is that it has great over the counter hunts all over the state, so if you don't get the controlled hunts, you can still hunt. 

Well, thanks ridge, but I'm not sure my guiding success is all that good.  I kind of failed you this last fall, though the conditions stunk, and I was really gald I didn't have that tag.  I am hoping for it this year though!

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 11:10:46 AM »
ridge....I thought you already lived out in BD? Good luck with the house.....maybe you'll finish early so it won't interupt your hunts.

Michael.....I saw your plea for help on the "other" site....wish I could help ya bud....don't really know much about either state.  I got ideas for ID, just never actually hunted there myself.

My plans for deer for WA. this year are pretty simple.  Archery general tag.  With two pts. gonna be tough to draw a decent permit.  I am in for the multi-season tag though, with a point from last year.  That could make things interesting.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 11:56:48 AM »
my plans kind of got nixed about 2 months ago. i was planning on idaho this year with some buddies from back home, my first washington archery elk hunt, and maybe a high hunt...well, the wife and i are having our first baby...due date-sept. 14. my new plans for deer season this year--general rifle, and maybe a late whitetail tag over by gramma's house. i know i can go hunt there with a new baby. what better time for new baby to visit gramma.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand