collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for a Turkey gun  (Read 11534 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking for a Turkey gun
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
SXS with double triggers, pull them both at the same time
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
First dove I got was a SS muzzleloader, both barrels, OW!   :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
You make my point about 3 and 3 1/2 inch rounds.  I have shot an 870 Wingmaster since 1977 and most pumps will beat the crap out of you with turkey loads.  If you are trying to figure which will pattern best, you might shoot a bit more. 

no need for me...I've got my patterns handled.
I'm not sure what you mean by your statement.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
SXS with double triggers, pull them both at the same time

no thanks...not on purpose anyway...
 :'(

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »
Mossberg 935 is a work horse in the turkey woods.

Yelp, Back me up!!!   :chuckle:
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline KimberRich

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
quote author=NWTFhunter link=topic=45386.msg559390#msg559390 date=1268273279]
The 870 will kick you if your shooting a turkey load at a target to pattern your shot.... However, when you pull the trigger on a bird, its usually not an issue.

I personally see no reason for 3 1/2 inch loads for turkeys.  I have dropped more with 2 3/4's than 3's even.  Why beat yourself up when you don't have to while target shooting.  Especially with the turkey choke tubes, you will now put more pellets on target and don't need the extra numbers in a 3 1/2.  The shorter shells also make it a lot cheaper to shoot a variety of loads and target shoot a lot to see what your gun likes best.   :twocents:[
[/quote]

Didn't I read a post about someone shooting pen raised birds on an island at 15 feet??   :chuckle:   :stirthepot:   

Offline KimberRich

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
the 870 will kick the crap out of you with a 3" turkey load FYI...
it doesn't have to be a 3.5"er.
you only need a few rounds to determine what patterns well...it's not like you're sighting in a rifle...
 :dunno:

Totally agree..  I think I fired 2 rounds each of #4's, #5's, and #6's to determine what patterned the best.  For my 870 with the Winchester Ammo it was the #5's.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
KR, yeah, you did read about me shooting with a 2 3/4 inch shell.  So what's your point?  I am not sure where you get the idea that they were pen-raised birds, unless you fall into the same category as WACent that any bird whose relative, no matter how far removed that might have been pen-raised, is also the same as a pen-raised one....    Maybe the only birds you think can be called in within 50 yards are pen-raised.   :dunno: 

I wanted my boy to have a chance to go with me on a turkey hunt for his first hunting experience. 

So, you just threw the other rounds, that you decided didn't pattern as well, away?  Are you suggesting people should only shoot the minimum amount of practice rounds possible?

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
KR, yeah, you did read about me shooting with a 2 3/4 inch shell.  So what's your point?  I am not sure where you get the idea that they were pen-raised birds, unless you fall into the same category as WACent that any bird whose relative, no matter how far removed that might have been pen-raised, is also the same as a pen-raised one....    Maybe the only birds you think can be called in within 50 yards are pen-raised.   :dunno:  

I wanted my boy to have a chance to go with me on a turkey hunt for his first hunting experience.  

So, you just threw the other rounds, that you decided didn't pattern as well, away?  Are you suggesting people should only shoot the minimum amount of practice rounds possible?

Well if you're going to bring me into the discussion and credit me with something, I'll have to return the favor.  KR probably got the idea they are game farm stock birds from you................not me ...........as in part of your reply to a question on another thread which says..........

Re: Turkeys in the back yard with dumbfounded deer
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:12:47 PM »

A resident released them 15 or so years ago.  They are finally showing up more on our end of the island as they used to spend most of their time in a protected area.  Last year I let a tom live that was courting our pet hen (with a tag in my pocket).  He sired at least six chicks in the next door neighbor's yard.  The same guy let pheasants go here as well but they only lasted a couple of years because of the racoons.

Might add.....................

The portion about the 15 feet came from your description of a bird you took up there on the island from another thread about turkey hunting stories if I recall.  Again..........not from me.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
So, you just threw the other rounds, that you decided didn't pattern as well, away?  Are you suggesting people should only shoot the minimum amount of practice rounds possible?

not sure if you were talking at me or Rich, but I'll field that from my end.
I don't throw ammo away...I have probably 6 boxes of turkey loads in my safe.
I'm also not sure where you get the idea anyone is insinuating that one should shoot as few rounds as possible. What I was saying and feel safe to assume what Rich was saying is that you don't need to shoot 20 rounds to determine whether a turkey load patterns well. 2-3 shots with each shell should give you a dang good idea of a pattern. It's not the ammo you burn through but the targets when you change a target after every shot.

Offline KimberRich

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
Wacenturion is correct in where I got my info..  I had just read through the other thread so the info was fresh in my little mind.  But I wasn't trying to bust your ba**s man.  Was just joking around with ya..  Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. 

You can shoot them with 2 3/4" shells all you want and I'm glad that you get to save a little $$ in the process.  I choose to shoot 3 1/2" shells and only like to pattern a couple of each load because I'm a wimp and don't like get pounded by them..

Offline KimberRich

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »

not sure if you were talking at me or Rich, but I'll field that from my end.
I don't throw ammo away...I have probably 6 boxes of turkey loads in my safe.
I'm also not sure where you get the idea anyone is insinuating that one should shoot as few rounds as possible. What I was saying and feel safe to assume what Rich was saying is that you don't need to shoot 20 rounds to determine whether a turkey load patterns well. 2-3 shots with each shell should give you a dang good idea of a pattern. It's not the ammo you burn through but the targets when you change a target after every shot.

:yeah:

Didn't say the other loads were bad.. Just said the didn't pattern as well.  I'll keep them and try them in other guns/chokes and see how the pattern.  3 1/2" ammo is way to expensive for me to throw away!

Offline KimberRich

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
 :jacked:

Maybe we should get back to the original topic..  Sorry fellas.

We can debate patterning, per-raised birds, and other stuff on another thread.

Offline ST_C5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post, i was going to get a Rem 870, but when i went to Sports Authority and talked to a friend that work's there. I ended up walking out with a Benelli Nova for 379.00. I could not pass that up. It has the black synthetic stock and i really love it. I will be heading out this weekend for my first turkey hunt and scouting trip and i can tell you i am really looking forward to it.

So thanks again to everyone.
If you don't eat! Don't kill it!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »
good luck
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics