collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: POW AK Sitka bucks  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
POW AK Sitka bucks
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
Already hit the search with good info, but had a few more questions about  guide services. Me and the old lady would like to hit up Ak at the end of Sept. This is the only time i'll be able to chase horned critters next yr.
I am a beyond experianced  woodsman (used to be a survival inst) and dont want to use a guide, but do to time, cant really afford to look too deep into a full out DIY hunt. We are mainly after a place to shack up that offers access to good alpine areas, with the ferry, lodging, vehicles (if applic.), float plane all included minus a guide, food, etc...
I have found a few 4-6 day hunts that come in around the $800 dollar range before tags, but I am skeptical to say the least, as we dont want a joe shmoe hunt. We hunt hard, and dont mind working for our quarry.
Any advice on a realativley inexpensive outfitted route would be great.
Also, we never have used a outfitter or guide :dunno:, so any tips on what to keep a look out for (good/bad) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
WB and Mrs. WB

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: POW AK Sitka bucks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
You might try here.  Some of these threads have info like you want.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=list&forum=DCForumID24&conf=conference

Also these links.  There are several good outfits in Delta Junction that will drop you in the Alaska Range and several from Fairbanks that are good too.

http://www.yukonair.com/
http://www.alaskasport.com/floattrip.html
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/alaska-hunting/
http://www.alaskakings.com/Unguided%20Hunts/Hunter%20Transport.htm

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »
Are you thinking POW exclusively or Kodiak for blacktail? POW would be your cheaper route I would jump on Larry Bartlett's Prestine Ventures website and fire some questions, and maybe the Alaska outdoor website.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Mainly blacktail. If a bear gets nosey, or sits still long, mabye one of those too :chuckle:

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
What islands are you trying to hunt? Kodiak, Montague, Hitchinbrook??

If you are trying to hunt them do a google search fro cabins on those islands, it will pop up that they are in Georgia, I dont know why but some how Georgia manages thhose cabins and you can stay in them, I did a lot of hunts on those islands the cabins are actually pretty cheap. And the hunting is good.
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
Looking to stay around Prince Of Wales. Mainly because its cheaper, and I have limited time, and don't want to spend any more time on the road than absolutely nec.

I have been looking deep into the google route, but my biggest fear is falling into a trap of things being to good to be true. God help the poor S.O.B. that trys to rip the ol' lady off. She'd bury his a$$.

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
ive been looking into a similar hunt to.... check out thorne bay lodge... their packages include a superduty pickup rental for the whole time your their too

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
Look into forest service cabins. They're on pretty much all of the islands. Not really a secret and you gotta walk some to get away from the immediate area to get into deer usually but their pretty damn nice and real cheap!

If you're looking to hunt the alpine (which is where the deer will be in Sept) than you might want to seriously think about staying up high (tenting it). It's usually an all day affair to get to where the deer are and if you stay down low you will spend a good portion of your time and energy getting in and out every day. Not to mention you will most likely miss out on the best times of the day to be hunting due to the travel in and out.  :twocents:
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline heavy hauler

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
ruff it cabins.  they are in whale pass on pow.fly in a commecial flight to wrangell.then we had a  jet sled take us directly to the cabins we were staying in .no  flying in a otter or beaver with weight restrictions and  delays.  the lady who runs the jet boat sevice will even get  groceries  for you (and have them in the boat)if you e mail her a list.that keeps the cost down
you cant eat the horns, but backstraps look like crap on my wall!!!!

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
heavy hauler did you guys have anyluck? like the hunt?

Offline Wild Bill

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
Damn work computer wont let me look at their site >:(.
I did look at the Thorne Bay lodge, Good dude, seems pretty legit, but by the time i figured in two plane tickets, tags, a air taxi, kennels for the mutts, we were already over 5K into it without food and bring things back.
I dont mind spending a little money, but the ol lady wants to come as well, which makes it spendy fast. I may need to look at the forest service cabins and put some boot leather down.
Thanks,
WB

Offline huntindork

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
I have spent quite hunting season on POW-  In late September watch the weather, lots of fog up high, and look into the scrubs for the deer-  they wont be out in the wide open nearly as well as they are in August and Early September.  If you are looking to hunt the Alpine the Forest service cabins might not be the place as they are usually  along ways from the alpine.  I would recommend finding a vehicle and jump from alpine peaks to alpine peaks and camping for a night or two on each- Its moderate/rough going getting to most as there are no trails and you are bushwhacking.  Send me a pm i might be able to help a bit-  In terms of housing and vehicles- Probably check into Craig versus the lodges if money is the thing-The bears will be everywhere but probably near the rivers will be your best bet as the silvers should be in at that time.

Offline heavy hauler

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
we had a great time . i will return there  some day. we all had bear opportunity's     .i will just put it that way. :chuckle:    we saw some deer everyday  but we werent hunting them
you cant eat the horns, but backstraps look like crap on my wall!!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]