collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Dog Memorial  (Read 104355 times)

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
Re: Hunting Dog Memorial
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 12:08:38 AM »
Ursa La Bear April 1, 1999 to May 4, 2013.  The pictures are from the fall of 2007 when Ursa was in her prime. 

Ursa was not a pointing Lab, but she would point about 20% of the time.  That's what turned me toward the pointing Labs for my current dog. 

Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
Sabin,
March 1998 - Sept 2004
Gone way too soon.
A once in a lifetime dog, If I ever own another dog as good as Sabin, I will be truly blessed.
Fantastic upland dog.  Hit winged geese like a linebacker with a free shot at the quarterback. When ducks were workin, he never whined or moved but you tell he was thinkin, shoot somethin for cryin out loud. 
My wife used to claim that Sabin and I had a telepathic connection.  Always knew what the other was thinkin.
A piece of my heart went with him.
I love my current dogs, But I cannot describe how much I miss that dog.

I sure hope all of you get the chance to own a "once in a life time dog".
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
This isn't a memorial to my dog, but I think this is a cool photo of my dog Rocket checking out a dog memorial that someone has erected in the Columbia Basin.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
This is Elsa who we put down a few months ago after 15 years.  I didnt come into her life until she was 10 but took her grouse hunting with the labs a few times.  She fared well for being so small.  She was always by my son's side, and put up with all the abuse a toddler can dish out.  My wife bought her as a puppy and was hit the hardest with it.  She doesnt know that I will be picking another pupply up for her from Nevada next month.  (she thinks Im going hunting in eastern WA) :tup:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:48:27 AM by seth30 »
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
I've got a hunch as to who made that,the tell tale sign is in the wide blue collars with the center ring.

This isn't a memorial to my dog, but I think this is a cool photo of my dog Rocket checking out a dog memorial that someone has erected in the Columbia Basin.

Offline RatherBOutdoors

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
Maggie Belle - January 9, 1997 - January 11, 2012

Best hunting partner and friend I've ever had!

Offline Mulieman

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
Just saw this.

Patriot - Prince of Spades
7/4/98 - 5/2/13

Rest in peace of friend, see ya on the other side.

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
I had an upcoming woodcarver and good friend of mine carve me a redhead drake urn for my black lab that left us too early last December.  It crushed me.  But now she will always be with us.  She  was a great dog.

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
I had an upcoming woodcarver and good friend of mine carve me a redhead drake urn for my black lab that left us too early last December.  It crushed me.  But now she will always be with us.  She  was a great dog.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
Callie, a good friend and hunting partner.  We were a team, she was the bird finder and retriever and I was her gunner.  We spent fourteen seasons together and she is the feature AWS in Barron's "The Sporting Spaniel Handbook".  She won a number of hunting competition, was one of the first AWS to pass an AKC spaniel hunt test (as a demo dog before AKC approved them to enter), had NAHRA legs and won the hunting competition at the AWS National Specialty.  She was a beautiful dog and won ribbons in the conformation ring also.  At 6 years she fought for a year to recover from a serious spine infection a subsequent brain damage to hunt for eight more season after the vets said her hunting days were over, at 12 she went deaf and learned to take commands via the vibration mode on an e-collar.

Her urn is buried next to our favorite hunting spot on Grey's Harbor.  I have a photo of her on my bedroom wall surrounded by her trophies and ribbons.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline madcow41

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
My best friend had to be put down due to some issues he was having with epilepsy. He was a great dog and we were grateful to have him for however short of a time it was. He died at 2 years old. MWD HHickman (ret.) I greatful to have him as a guardian in heaven.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
Pappy, 11-4-04, to 5-29-14.
Nose to the wind, buddy, we will hunt again someday.

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
Cletus
Gone too soon my friend.
Why is it losing you guys never gets any easier?
Although the pain of losing one of my pals is painful, it will never be as painful as the thought of a home without a dog. 

It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.
Author unknown
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »
I have been dreading writing this post for several years…since cancer first attacked my dog. On Monday Nov. 10th at 10:30 I sent Abbey (13 year old Choc. Female) to the hunting grounds in the sky. I have had her longer than my own wife and kids…she has pulled me through a lot and amazed those who were lucky enough to hunt with her. Part of having a dog is ultimately bringing them peace at the end, but it is hard. A special thank you to Dr. Tim O’Rourke who, through great skill, gave us almost two more years with her after saving her life on a Christmas eve morning…in my opinion he is the BEST.  We had one last meal together, complete with steak and red wine (her favorite).

Good bye sweet girl, you were an amazing hunting dog and an even greater friend. God’s speed…and enjoy all the limits up there that I wasn’t always able to get you. Until we hunt again…”Good Girl momma dog…good girl”
I love you,
Dad

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
Ezekiel Marsh - August 9, 2004 - April 21, 2015

Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy

August 9th, 2004 you came into this world. 7 times 7 is the day I brought you home. A 13 pound yellow mass of energy and excess skin. Only to be deflated by your first encounter with my mean eyed cat and his sharp claws.

Your vocabulary learning began with No and then progressed to Sit by day 63, you and the cat had made your amends and thus were friends.

The next three weeks you gained a wealth of knowledge and your obedience soared. Every waking moment you packed around your training dummy.

Sit, Stay, Back, Dead Bird, Come, Heel…Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy

There was your first operation necessitated in order to remove too much eyelid skin that was affecting your eye. With your Elizabethan collar, you now resembled a vacuum cleaner searching for crumbs, I thought perhaps you should’ve been named Hoover.

We took a trip your 5th month, 3 days worth of Arizona quail hunting heaven. While we brought many birds home, several more ended up in your gullet…at least you loved birds.

You were a tough boy; I remember removing countless cactus spines from your body while sitting around the campfire. Without a second thought you’d always dive into the prickly pear, all for a bird I shot.

Find the bird, Zeke, Find the Bird…Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy

Then there was the day I was coming home from hunting elk, you had stayed with my mom. I called to say I’d be there soon, only to find out you had just been hit by a car.

My heart sank at the news, but much to my surprise you had dodged the bullet. Yes you had some scrapes and a concussion, but not a broken bone; you were a tough boy at 1 year and 1 month of age.

We headed off to college together, not sure about the education, but we had a blast hunting it up for 5 years. We met some great hunting partners and they too had some damn good dogs.

I’ll never forget the look of joy and misery on your face all at once, or the smell that emanated from you for at least a week. Oh, how I could not believe you consumed over 10 lbs. of elk that was intended to become hamburger, or that your stomach could stretch to that size.

Always faithful by my side; we hiked, we camped, we fished, we hunted…Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy

And then came Abby, a beautiful black lab I had given to my mom. Mom loved her flower beds and so did Abby, just not in the same way. Mom also knew Abby had hunt in her, and because of the ripped up flowers and the innate huntress inside her, Abby joined our ranks.

Over the years you and Abby formed a bond so eerily human, I know you loved her and she loved you. And the hunts were great; you two were the best to share a blind with.

We even made it on the front page of the local newspaper, pictures of us training and my interview about duck hunting in Colorado. You were made famous buddy.

Now it was my turn to fall in love. In June of 2011, I introduced you to my now bride to be and her two amazing sons. In nearly four years together with them you never once seemed jealous to lose some of my attention.

In fact you loved them too, and your tail hugs around their legs always proved it…Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy

We moved you to the Pacific NW, and I’ll always remember your look of caution when you met the Pacific Ocean. At least you swam those waves anyway.

I’m glad we got to camp one last time, just days before your passing. You got to soak your bones one last time in the cool river water of the Klickitat.
You were such a tough boy. I had no clue you were as sick as you were.

The evening of April 20th, 2015, I knew you were not well. With pale gums and tongue, and just flat out weak, I made an appointment with the Vet for April 21st.

The Vet phoned me in the early afternoon, with such a tragic diagnosis, your spleen was about to rupture and your time was short.

The decision was not easy, to decide that your day had come and that God had prepared a place for you. You passed easy, and I cried. Hell, Zeke, we all cried.

I stroked your big soft ears and could barely mutter this…Good Boy, Zeke, Good Boy…That’s A Good Boy

Thank you for the memories Zeke, We Love You
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal